Hello to all from BC Canada

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Hello to all from BC Canada

Postby [email protected] » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Like this site, just found it today. Had never read much from school days until mid-life....until a co-worker gave me a copy of A Falcon Flies. Couldn't put it down, then was looking for more WS, and on and on it went. I now own and have read all his 27 novels, and have justs started to re-read them in chronological order, although interspersed with other authors. Met WS last April (07) at a "reading" sponsored by Black Bond Books in White Rock, BC. He was kind enough to sign the entire "Egyptian series" for me. A marked highlight in my life!! Now just about an hour left to read in Men of Men. After so long in reading it the first time, it is almost like finding a whole new WS story. What a great author, best on MY list. Really like his newer format of writing in short chapters, as it is easier to take a break. :lol:

Does anyone know how much gold is in a LAKH OF GOLD?

Thank for the time............super good reading to all----Gary
[email protected]

Currently Reading: Men of Men

Re: Hello to all from BC Canada

Postby Ada » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Hello Gary, welcome to the Forum. Conincidentaly I too am rereading A Falcon Flies at present. Re your owning all of Wilbur's novels, you appear to be missing 4, as he has written 31. His website's Bibliography would be the quickest way to find out which ones you are missing. It can't be any of the Egyptian series since you obviously know about The Quest etc. - you lucky thing having them all signed. I'm still a bit miffed that WS's 'Quest Promotion Tour' ended so abruptly and completely missed Australia.

I can't help you with the Lakh of gold but someone else may be able to as we have a few pupils of Egyptology on this Forum.

Happy reading to you too......Ada :)
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Matbow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Gary, welcome to the Forum!

A "lakh" is a unit of measurement in the Indian system and is equal to a hundred thousand, therefore "1 Lakh of gold" would equate to one hundred thousand gold coins. I have no idea how much a gold coin would be worth though!

Hope to see you around...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby [email protected] » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Hi Ada.............
Hi Matbow.........and thanks for the welcome. Just finished Men of Men, and decided to come back to the forum. Ada, you were right, I have been down on my knees counting books, well I came up with 33 and was scratching my head, until I noticed I have duplicate copies of The Burning Shore & The Quest. Wilbur had signed a second copy of The Quest "To Gary" and I will treasure that book all my life, It has pictures of WS & myself pasted into the front inside. Unfortunate that Wilber never got down under, I know he went to Europe after Canada. Maybe you will get to see him after his next book. I think he and wife Mokhioniso like to travel, he tells stories just like he writes them, a very pleasant personality and a extremely good sense of humor we don't get often in his adventure stories. I was suprised at his pronunciation of "Taita" the slave, he says TAYEETAH, my mind said TAYTA (now it is hard to change)
:lol:

Matbow.........thank you so much for your welcome and for enlightenment about 100,000 coins = 1 Lahk. I have wondered about that for several years now. There were some readers at White Rock who wondered about many pieces of terminology found in WS's novels, although at the moment I cannot remember which ones they were. Maybe I will make note of some, as I reread - may make for some interesting forum chats. Cheers...........Gary

:)
[email protected]

Postby Danny Ramone » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:10 am

i always pronounced it like TIGHTER though i was never sure how it was supposed to sound.

Its pretty impressive that you have read all his books, I am conducting that mission myself, at the same time i am trying to find hardback copies of the books so that I can have the whole collection rather than borrowing them from library/my dad
Danny Ramone

Currently Reading: power of the sword

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 am

Hi Gary, and welcome!!

I was at the same event last year!! Such great memories, we were so lucky to see him :) There were a few younger people there - my sister and I were the 2 very excited Indian girls!

Glad you've found our Forum :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Ooh, so a lakh actually is an Indian lakh? I had no idea! But being Indian myself, I always considered it to mean that anyway; I just didn't know I was right. :lol:

And welcome to the forums, Gary! You read Men of Men in a day? :shock: I can't recall ever reading a book that fast.. but then I'm not a fast reader, lol.

I have only read WS's Egyptian books, myself. I am trying to get through a list of other books before I start from the beginning of WS's lot, since once I start, I will be going through them all and won't have time for other books!
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby [email protected] » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:46 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and your comments DANNY, NEFER and RIVAAN:

Danny, I hope you have some good fortune finding hard covers of Wilber's earlier books. I have hunted in book stores and book sales for some, but no luck. Most of my collection are pocketbooks, only 14 are hardcovers. None of the hardcovers have been read with the jackets on, so they are in excellent condition. I have noticed some of the older hardcovers were printed with a very porous paper and have discolored around the page edges due to age. If you find some older hardcovers, that discoloration will be normal. EBay may be a good source.
:)

Nefer, I recall you two at the White Rock reading. Good to see some excitement in a crowd of mostly middle aged codgers LOL. Glad you enjoyed meeting Wilber and have become another ardent fan. Hope to get into some discussions with you as I navigate the forum.
8)

Rivaan, No, I didn't read Men of Men in a day.....had about an hour left in the book, so just finished it off that day. I savor most all his books so much, that I don't rush reading them at all. I do read every word, and do some pondering along the way. Also check maps and "Google Earth" at times to get a look at what vegetation, lakes, rivers and other terrain is in the area of the story. Thanks for the welcome, and enjoy all the WS stories. I know you look forward to reading them for the first time.
:lol:

My next quest is to look around the forum more, and join some threads. Glad to have met you all.
Best wishes - Gary ................. Next read "The Angels Weep"
[email protected]

Return to Introductions