Newbie with Request

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Newbie with Request

Postby damifino » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 am

Hello from another BC Canadian.

I have actually had this site in my favorites for a long time. Haven't visited in awhile and just registered to this forum today. I kept this site because I knew that I would come calling one day.

I belong to an online book club and it looks like people are interested in my book suggestion. I can't believe my book buddies had never read any Wilbur Smith. Trouble is I have to host it. :? The book? River God. My all time favorite book. I have read it twice before but that was some time ago so I am looking forward to reading it again.

Does any one here know if there is a reading guide for River God? To help with discussion and questions as you go through the book. We will be reading River God for the month of April 2008. We like to break it up in 4 sections, read the first section and discuss that while moving on to the next.

I will do some exploring on this site but thought I would fire it off to you first.

Oh...here's another question....how brazen do you think it would be of me to actually invite Wilbur Smith to host the reading? Probably over the top...but whats the worst that could happen?

Thanks for any help, as I can use all I can get.

Barb
damifino

Currently Reading: Midnight in etc.....

Re: Newbie with Request

Postby Matbow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:57 pm

Hi Barb, welcome to the forum!

I can't believe your book buddies haven't read any WS either! If you look in the Egyptian section you'll see that there are quite a few reviews of River god, although no specific reading guides. I'm sure if you can point us in the right direction then a few of us could come up with something.

How exactly do you host an online book club?

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby damifino » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:17 am

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply Matt.

I think I will have to come up with questions on my own for the online reading group as I read the book. Been searching the net and coming up empty handed. We try to ask thought provoking questions about the characters and events in the story. Like, what do you think you would of done if you were so and so, or, has anyone ever had a near death experiance like whats his face. That kind of stuff. It makes reading so much fun. And you also tend to read books that otherwise would of passed up. Like for example right now for the month of February we are reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. A book that I am sure I would never of had picked up on my own. But to my surprise I am enjoying it and looking forward to discussing the first section tomorrow.

I will for sure browse through this forum to see if I can get any ideas while hosting River God. Matt if you have any more questions or suggestions fire away.

Thanks again,

Barb
damifino

Postby Nefer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi and welcome Barb! Always happy to see more people from BC join :)

Love the idea of a reading guide for RG. If you don't mind, could you share your guide with us here? And I will try and think of some questions you could use - I'll post them up in the Egypt section as I think of them.

Cheers!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damifino » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:44 am

Nefer...I am stunned. You would do that? That would be amazing. Okay, I will go pick up a copy of the book today. We like to break up the book in 4 sections. Read one section a week. Discuss and ask questions at the end of the first week while reading the next section. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Now you really got me thinking Nefer. Are you an expert on River God? How would you like to be a guest when we read it? I am probably jumping the gun. Don't want to post any links here, thought I saw an instant message feature on these boards.

So far there are about 6 people who are interested in reading River God. There must be about 20 of us all together, give or take. Now if I told them that maybe, just maybe we will be having a special guest to help us in the discussions they would freak. In a good way.

I will post again once I have a copy of River God in my hands later today.

Barb

ps...oh yea I did see some other British Columbians on here. I am the only Canadian in my reading group. One girl is from the Netherlands, another from Wales and all the rest from the States.
damifino

Postby Matbow » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:23 am

damifino wrote:Don't want to post any links here.

Feel free to post the link, I'd like to see how one of these things work!

Nefer is one of our resident RG buffs, I'm sure she'll have some good inputs...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby damifino » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:33 am

Hi Matbow

I just sent you an IM about the online reading group. Will do the same for Nefer if she likes. This is getting exciting.

Barb
damifino

Postby Nefer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:18 pm

LoL special guest sounds very important... Which I'm not :lol: I do love the book a lot, as Matt says, so I'll be happy to help. Just let me know!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damifino » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:49 am

Hi Nefer and Matbow. I just sent Nefer the same PM as I sent to Matbow.

I haven't told my book buddies yet about special guests just yet. In case you change your mind. Sure hope not. This will be more fun then a picnic. :lol:

I didn't pick up River God yesterday, the pregame and Super Bowl held my attention. But will get er done today.

Let me know when I can make the big announcement. Bet if they find that someone who knows alot about River God is coming on board there will be more readers in the discussion.

No pressure :D

Barb
damifino

Postby Matbow » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:11 pm

damifino wrote:This will be more fun then a picnic.

Haha!

damifino wrote:No pressure

Yeah right...I can feel Nefer buckling already! I'll add my £0.02's worth where I can...anything to convert people to WS (and get more forum members in the process :mrgreen:)

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Pressure? Oh no!! turns and runs

Now I'm nervous... too many expectations! :lol: :lol:
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damifino » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 am

Don't be nervous....sit back and enjoy the ride. It will be a total hoot. I am so excited. I can't wait to tell my book buddies. We are not reading River God till the 1st of April so we have time. But I would like to tell them about how I met you two and maybe tell them a little about yourselves. Is there anything you can share? That way I can reel more into reading it with us. What ever your comfortable with.

I am so glad I saved this site!!!

Barb
damifino

Postby Matbow » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 am

damifino wrote:I can't wait to tell my book buddies. We are not reading River God till the 1st of April so we have time. But I would like to tell them about how I met you two and maybe tell them a little about yourselves. Is there anything you can share?

Feel free to go ahead...Nefer and myself have our own introductory threads stickied at the top of this forum, I'm happy for you to use anything from there.

Will you be starting a new thread about RiverGod over at your online book club? If so, let me know when you've posted it and I'll come over an introduce myself.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby damifino » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 am

Hi

Picked up the book yesterday. Okay I will let you know when I have told my buddies. It will be tomorrow as I am running late for work and heading out the door right now. Hate it when life gets in the way like this when your having so much fun. I have checked out your profiles and will use that. I'll keep ya posted. :lol:

Barb
damifino

Postby FanfromCan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Watch out Matt.........looks like we Canadians are taking over!!!!

Barb - Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like what you are doing is a type of Reading Response journal which is what we now do in elementary school. It is a very good way to get readers involved in the characters, setting and plot (events) of a story. Here is a quick guide to what I used to do in grade four. (I'm retired)

After reading a short story or part of the book the students would be asked to complete statements from these prompts.

I learned..................
I felt....................
I liked the part.....................
I didn't like the part........................
It was interesting when....................
I am confused about...................
One prediction I will make..................

I know these may sound simplistic but you can make them more specific to characters or events. This method is an alternative to asking comprehension questions which really don't get the reader in touch with their feelings about the story.
River God should really develop some stong responses.

Hope this helps.
Dave
Readers are novel people.
FanfromCan

Currently Reading: World Without End

Postby damifino » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Dave

That sounds like what we do. We will read a few chapters and then at weeks end we will discuss it. Then carry on. You and anyone else are welcome to attend. I can give the link in a private message. We are to start April 1st but there are people in the group that are hinting at starting earlier. I instant messaged Nefer and she is still up for helping us out. Can't wait to get started. One of my online book buddies is already asking questions. Its been a good 10 years since I have read it so I need all the help I can get.

Barb
damifino

Return to Introductions