Hello everyone!

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Hello everyone!

Postby Nathan F » Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi everyone! I discovered this forum through the official Wilbur Smith website a while ago and finally decided to check it out, I am glad I did. I was suprised to see that there are so many WS fans out there. My name is Nathan and I'm from Perth, Western Australia. I've been an avid reader of Wilbur Smith ever since I was 14 (now 17) and I absolutley love his work! So far I have thoroughly enjoyed reading 9 WS novels including: Birds of Prey, Monsoon, Blue Horizon, When the Lion Feeds, The Sound of Thunder, A Sparrow falls, and all of the Egyptian series. Overall I'd have to say that River God is my all-time favourite WS novel, which I have read about four times! Look forward to exploring the forum and meeting you all!

Thanks
Nathan :D
Nathan F

Currently Reading: Blue Horizon

Re: Hello everyone!

Postby Nefer » Fri May 30, 2008 11:41 pm

I love it when River God fans join :mrgreen:

Welcome Nathan, I really like your avatar pic! You're really lucky to have only read 9 books - so much more enjoyment to come :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nathan F » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:21 am

Thankyou for the welcome Nefer! :)
Have you read any of the stand-alone novels? If so are there any you recommend?
Nathan F

Postby Matbow » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Nathan, welcome!

IMO, the standalones aren't as good as the "series", but there are some good ones in there.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Yeah, I've posted some opinions on the stand-alones. I liked Sunbird and Elephant Song, but the rest are not that good IMO. I like the series books better, but you should give the stand-alones a try, some people do enjoy them :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nathan F » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Thanks Matbow and Nefer :mrgreen:
Had a look at the review on Sunbird and I think I might give it a try.
Nathan F

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:01 am

Hello Nathan,

If you're going to read some stand-alones, the ones mentioned are pretty good. In my opinion though, Eye of the Tiger should be among the list of best stand-alones. But then again, as was already mentioned, the series are the best. From the titles you put in your first post, can I conclude you didn't read the Ballantyne series yet? Because then you're still in for a treat ;-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nathan F » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:21 am

Hi E-Hoog, :)
I'll make sure I look up Eye of the Tiger, and I haven't yet read any of the Ballantyne series so it appears I have alot of good reading ahead of me! :mrgreen:
Nathan F

Have you read The Sunbird yet?

Postby PrplDawn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Nathan, I love all Wilbur Smith books, but my all time favorite is The Sunbird. I have read it dozens of time, the story just enthralls me. If you haven't read it yet, do so, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Sincerely, Purple Dawn
PrplDawn

Currently Reading: The Sunbird (again!)

Postby vale9472 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:58 pm

I see this topic was written almost one year ago,I think you've read lots of books since then but I would like to reccomend to you one of my favourite stand-alones which is "cry wolf" where us,I mean the italians,are the very bad guys :(
vale9472

Postby susanspy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:42 am

Hi there all,

Susan here i am in love with this place so thought to post something here to get along with the conversation & making friends. Hope you let me do so.

Cheers!!!
susanspy

Currently Reading: english speaking

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Susan! Of course we'll allow you to post :) I hope we're not that intimidating :lol: Glad you enjoy the site, looking forward to having you around :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Introductions