Another "Hi" from South Africa

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Another "Hi" from South Africa

Postby garwil » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi All,
I live in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa and have read all of WS's books and am on "When The Lion Feeds" for probably the 6th time. This particular book starts off the Courtney's trials, tribulations and triumphs in South Africa and I live near to where Sean Courtney is killed, along with his wife, in Natal (as it was called then). We are also about 3 hours drive from where Waite Courtney (Sean's father) was killed at the Battle of Isandlwana which was an actual battle that did take place. If I knew how to load an image I would post one here of the actual mountain and grave yards.
Any questions about that area / era please feel free to ask.
All the best
garwil

Currently Reading: Quest

Re: Another "Hi" from South Africa

Postby Nefer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi & welcome garwil!

It's amazing to live near all these sites which WS has captured so well in the books!

If you look to the bottom of the reply box, there are 2 tabs - one says 'options' and the other 'upload attachment'. I believe you can attach pictures from there :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Another "Hi" from South Africa

Postby garwil » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Nefer and thanks for the welcome,
I am submitting two images, the first is of Isandlwana battelfied with graves in the foreground and the Isandlwana mountain in the background. The second is the mission station as it is today. This is where Garry received his VC and no doubt what WS was writing about. Enjoy!
Rgds
Garwil
isandlwana.jpg
Isandlwana Battlefield
isandlwana.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
rorkesdrift.jpg
Rorkes Drift Mission Station
rorkesdrift.jpg (10.2 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
garwil

Currently Reading: Quest

Return to Introductions