Greetings from South African living in Dubai UAE

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Greetings from South African living in Dubai UAE

Postby crupp » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:27 am

Greetings Fellow Fans

I am so glad to have stumbled onto your forum. I have been a fan forever, we use to buy my father the books for his birthday and as luck will be it use to be available in the book stores the month of his birthday.

One day I decided to read Monsoon and see what the fuss was, as my father had all the books in hardcover and it looked very impressive when I was a child. I loved it and could not put the book down and that's how it happened.
My father gave me his entire collection and as fate will have it my husband has his own collection too enough to fill a bookcase. (I even have an edition printed as Wilbur A Smith)

Sadly as we left South Africa for Dubai UAE we had to leave the books behind with family on advise of our moving company that it might be stopped and destroyed. Just imagine my suprise when we got here and I saw it in the book shops.

Well I might have to buy it now in paperback even if its just THE COURTNEY'S as it makes that home sick feeling go away.

I can't wait for April 2009 when the NEW book is published.

Kind Regards,
crupp :)
crupp

Re: Greetings from South African living in Dubai UAE

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Welcome welcome!!!

It's too bad that you couldn't bring your books... how dare they, lol. I'm glad you've found us, now we can all wait for the next book together :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby physioman17 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:42 am

hi, hope life in dubai is working out for you. im intrigued with the wilbur a smith reference, was it when the lion feeds, if so get it posted to you because if it is a first its worth serious money, regards physioman17
physioman17

Currently Reading: lee child

Postby crupp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 am

Hello

You are correct the book I previously refered to that is published Wilbur A Smith is 'When Lions Feed' and I have to say I have 3 prints of When Lions Feed but this ones cover is not like the other two. The book itself is also a wee bit smaller in size but still hardcover. I have to admit I bought this edition in a very old secondhand bookshop years ago on holiday in the South African lowveld town called Sabie. It is in a good condition but not in mint condition. I will have someone check the publish house and print date for interest sake and I will post it here.

Thanks for showing interest I will look after this book.

Kind Regards,
C
crupp

Postby physioman17 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 am

HI AGAIN, I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED I AM A COLLECTOR OF WS SIGNED STUFF SO IF YOU COME ACROSS ANY I WILL ALWAYS MAKE YOU AN OFFER.THE EARLY HEINNEMANN BOOKS WHERE PRINTED WITH POOR MATERIALS THEREFORE WORE OUT FASTER AND MACMILLAN ARE NOT MUCH BETTER, ALSO ALTHOUGH HE SELLS MILLIONS WORDWIDE HE ONLY PUBLISHES EVERY TWO YEARS WHICH IS NOT VERY PROLIFIC COMPARED TO SAY STAPHEN KING. THEREFORE ANY FIRSTS SIGNED ARE HIGHLY COLLETABLE, IM RAMBLING NOW TELLING YOU SOMETHING YOU PROBABLY ALREADY KNOW, REGARDS MIKE
physioman17

Currently Reading: lee child

Postby crupp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 am

Hello
To be honest and please don't think I am daft but I truly never thought of that book being worth anything more than sentimental value to me especially because I do have very old books that might have some value.
That's been passed on from generations that are extremely old, I even have a book printed on some sort of canvas paper.

Thank you for your guidance, we will be traveling back home for a month next year so I will keep my eyes open as there are so many old books shops to scratch around in. Maybe I find something you have been looking for, will keep in touch.

Kind Regards
crupp

Return to Introductions