New Members Introduce Yourself Here!

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Postby Nefer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi WSI!

I'm not a sports fan myself (was into rugby when it was on tv tho' lol), but I am WS fan!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Hey WSI welcome to the board!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:08 am

Hi bee and neferk, I'm glad that I've found this forum at last
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Hello!

Postby cez » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:39 am

Still a new comer to the WS world, read my first book "elephant song" about a year ago.. and only picked up the book because nothing else in the bookshop display case looked very appealing, being south african reading an african author didnt seem appropriate. i wanted to experience a bit of what the world has to offer... i take it back!!! Once and African always and african... its going to take a lot to get me to stop reading...

I hooked. Being an african and living abroad, reading books about africa eased a bit of the homesickness which was a blessing, its wonderful to read about your beautiful country!! he is such an awesome writer!

Have just finished Monsoon and Blue horizon, and am completely hooked on the series I live in the middle east so you can understand how a story line revolving around those two worlds sucked me in!! reading about the natal coast line, the rivers and tribes, then oman.. ahh..
just looking over the forum i can now plan my next purchase, because i wasn't sure if there where anymore after those two..
Glad to hear i can read on about the courtney clan!
cez

Postby John R » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:03 pm

Welcome cez glad to have you aboard :)
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi cez!

I thought it was weird tor ead about SA when I was in SA, thought I was the only one!

You end up learning a lot more this way! Glad you found us!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi Cez,

I think it's great to read about a place you know/live in :mrgreen: One of WS's books was partly set in the city where I live now so it was good to imagine where the characters were etc...even if some details were slightly wrong!

Hope you have fun here!

Matt
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:58 pm

The closest i've come to being in a certain place that WS writes about is in 'The Diamond Hunters' which mentions Somerset West, just outside Cape Town. I've been there twice to visit family. It was cool reading about it in the book.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:20 pm

Hey Cez!

Welcome to the board!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nicoadrian » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:14 pm

Hi Everybody, my name is Nicolas and I´m a big fan of Wilbur Smith. I´m From Argentina, I have read almost all the books of Wilbur Smith, and some of them, i have read more than once.

I really like the books, because of them, i want to travel a day in the future to SouthAfrica, is one of my dreams.

Sorry if I don´t speak very well the language but i would try to do my best.
Nicoadrian

Postby John R » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:10 am

Hi Nicolas and welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here. I too also want to travel to Africa because of Wilbur's books.

Enjoy [b6]
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:28 am

Hi Nicolas, welcome!

I want to travel to SA too, I imagine this is a very common feeling amongst WS fans!

Out of interest, how did you find the forum?

Matt

PS - Your English is very good!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Bee » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:12 pm

Hey Nicholas! Welcome to the board!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nicoadrian » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:14 am

matbow wrote:Out of interest, how did you find the forum?

I found the direction in wikipedia wen i was looking for information about Wilbur.
Nicoadrian

Postby Africaman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi everybody. Matbow, thanks for starting this up! I just found it and registered. I am excited. I have read everything W.A.S. has written, and love his style. His blending flow of history and fiction, with extra attention to detail and the plight of the African continent's struggle for its own identity is what led me to read this writer. I am smitten!

As a white American from the southern state of Mississippi, I have always been apalled at the exploitation and treatment of indiginous tribal cultures everywhere, especially having been born (1960) just before the terrible events dealing with civil rights here in the deep south. W.A.S. is refreshing in his treatment of Everyman as a worthy individual, each with his own values and beliefs that are to be respected.

I also love John Ronald (as his friends knew him!) Tolkien and Patrick O'Brian as writers. I am now reading Tolkien's biography by Humphrey Carpenter, a must read for all who love English Literature.

Ken
Black and White are but shades of equal intensity of skin colours on opposite sides of the life spectrum. We must learn to see without the shades!

Born to Read!
Africaman

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi Africaman - good to have you on board.

Phil
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Africaman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Thanks Phil. I plan on letting others know about the forum. I didn't see any other obnoxious Americans on the forum list so far, but we love W.A.S. over here. It is very hard to find his books becasue the stores can't keep him stocked.

Ken
Black and White are but shades of equal intensity of skin colours on opposite sides of the life spectrum. We must learn to see without the shades!

Born to Read!
Africaman

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 pm

I dunno about obnoxious Americans, :lol:, but we have some very polite Canadians here!

Welcome to the Board!

You might have a lot of luck finding WS in used bookstores, or ordering them online throught used book store websites.

I've found a few treasures in used book shops :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 am

Hi Ken, good to have you on the board. Hope you like it here [b6]
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:21 am

Hi Ken, nice to have you aboard.

Matbow, thanks for starting this up!

and you`re very welcome! I'm glad there's now a place to discuss WS!

Matt
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions