New Members Introduce Yourself Here!

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Postby michaelsmum » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks Neferk but I'm a stickler for getting it right! I was in administration in my past life BK2002 (ie before kids!) and things ahve to be in the right order.
Now, does anyone know, what happend to Mbejane (yeah, it's upsetting me!!)
My mother always used to tell me, "go with the flow". I HATED it and now I tell it to my kids!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Matbow » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:25 am

Hi michaelsmum! I've replied to a few of your posts elsewhere but haven't said hello.

michaelsmum wrote:Thanks Matt!!

You're welcome...I'm just glad there are so many WS fans out here wanting to talk about his books!

Matt
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby michaelsmum » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:51 am

Well, they are fab!
My mother always used to tell me, "go with the flow". I HATED it and now I tell it to my kids!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Bee » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi Michaelsmum!

Haven't said Hi yet! Welcome!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:05 am

Hi there Michaelsmum, welcom and enjoy
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby CarlGlover » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:08 am

I'm a clinical psychologist living in Johnson City, Tennessee USA, who became acquainted with Wilbur Smith in the early 1980s via "The Sunbird." I was in my "Egyptian" period at the time and was tremendously impressed by Smith's knowledge of ancient Egypt and his ability to weave history and fiction together in a unique fashion. Since then, I've read all of his books with enjoyment and sometimes awe, although the singletons are usually rather less impressive than the series novels. I consider him to be the greatest adventure writer of the 20th century, and I hope he can go far into the 21st!
Carl Glover
CarlGlover

Postby John R » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi Carl and welcome. Hope you like the forum. Feel free to post your opinions on anything. Just wondering, since you are far more experienced with Wilbur Smith than myself, what would you say is his best work?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Phils_jd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Hi Carl, I totally agree with your comments about WS, I prefer his series and hope he has a lot more left in him

Phil
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby CarlGlover » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

John R: For reasons of nostalgia, I'd have to pick "The Sunbird" as my favorite. But for smoothness of writing, excitement and sheer entertainment value, "Birds of Prey" is the winner. "When the Lion Feeds" is no slouch, either. Others include -- but enough; Smith never wrote a really bad book, did he?
Carl Glover
CarlGlover

Postby John R » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Well I would have to agree that he has never written a bad book (from the ones that i've read so far!) However by his high standards, The Diamond Hunters is IMO his worst and is my least favourite. I've read the Sunbird and also think it's fantastic. Think i gave it a 9 on the poll.
John R
Founder Member

Postby CarlGlover » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:12 pm

Yes, I agree, "The Diamond Hunters" is not a great book. Neither is "Hungry as the Sea," for that matter. But even Smith's weakest efforts are superior to those of most other authors in the adventure genre. He's a natural-born storyteller, and a kind of literary genius. We're all very lucky to have him!
Carl Glover
CarlGlover

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi & welcome Carl!

I see the Board has already rolled out the welcome wagon, so I'll do my part by jumping on :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:56 am

Hey Carl and welcome! Sorry I'm a bit late...
Bee
Founder Member

NEW MEMBER ALSO

Postby BOBBYP » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I'm just new to this forum and the novels. I have only read 5 of the books but I have started a collection inacticipation of rerading them all! My question to you experienced readers is: should the Courtney novels be read in the order that they were written or chronologically?

Bob
BOBBYP

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Hiya Bob!!

Bit of a controversial issue that... We have a thread about the discussion, and we all have differing opinions, as you can imagine!

I'd have to say chronologically. It makes more sense to read them that way, as it places all the historical events in more or less a more understandable order.

I forgot to mention that Wilbur Smith's main website also has a reading order, I believe it coincides more or less with ours. So you have Mr. Smith's opinion to go by as well!

Which 5 books have you read?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

Postby BOBBYP » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:02 am

I was given Diamond Hunters for Christmas and read it in one day. I note that some of your members think that is one of his worst books....but I enjoyed it. The next day i bought Cry Wolf and torre through that. I like to find an author and read all his books from first to last so I started collecting. I just finished Warlock after reading the other Egyptian series. I'm only missing Sparrow Falls. Thanks for your reply. I note my question could have been answered by reading the Courtney forum.

Bob
BOBBYP

Postby Matbow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:14 am

Hi Bob,

If you loved Diamond Hunters you must be loving the other books even more! Like you said, the answer to your question (and the offical WS reading order) is in the Courtney forum.

I'm sure we'de all like to here your views on the books you've read - especially the Egyptian series as not many reviews have been posted.

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. With the Courtney books, I believe Wilbur Smith has said that it's best to read them in the order he wrote the books. But it's up to the reader really. I started of with When The Lion Feeds.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Bob! Welcome to the forum!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Hi Bobby

Welcome - I know the feeling when you get a good book and fly through it. You have a distinct advantage over a lot of us here - you have a lot more books to look forward to reading.

Phil
Phils_jd
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions