I see you ...

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

I see you ...

Postby gothecon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Hello friends,

I must say, I have never considered myself a forum kind of person. I guess it's all part of the mysterious Wilbur Smith magic which, from my point of view, must also be described as 'miraculous' ... in that it has inspired me to join my first chat room (is that what this is?!?!)

I am an Australian ex-pat living in Singapore. I was encouraged by a relative to try WS after exhausting Bryce Courtenay's offerings in my homeland. For those who have read both, I'm sure you'll agree the similarities are often uncanny. I am not, for a moment, suggesting plagiarism; I appreciate both draw deeply on their African childhood and the wonderful, unique characteristics of the African people and landscape. I'm convinced Mr Courtenay (one of the less subtle similarities!) has been influenced/inspired by Mr Smith ... perhaps vice versa? Maybe I'm missing something more obvious? Do please let me know if I have stumbled into an area which has been discussed at length before.

I had the good fortune to be sent to Durban and Johannesburg for work a couple of years ago. I am sure this now adds significantly to the picture in my mind while reading WS. Similarly, I read Shantaram before this and felt myself transported to the (semi-familiar) streets of Bombay and loved the journey! I often wonder: does having seen a city or landscape where a book is set help to appreciate it?

Upon browsing this forum for just a few minutes, it would seem one of the most-discussed topics is the order one should tackle Mr Smith's work. I began with The Burning Shore. Eight books later I'm almost finished A Sparrow Falls. I'm quite sure this is not the best approach ... but having read The Burning Shore through to Golden Fox certainly hasn't tarnished my ability to enjoy When the Lion Feeds and beyond.

In a world which demands instant gratification and constant entertainment, I think the best compliment I can pay the author is to say that I begin each book with a gnawing fear it cannot live up to the previous one ... and find myself utterly relieved when I put it down (although - of course - anxious to ensure the next one is waiting on the shelf.)

Having said that, I wouldn't say they're perfect, either. I occasionally find myself shaking my head in disbelief that one of those canny Courtney lads has, yet again, bumped into just the right person at just the right time ... you know: of-all-the-semi-arid-Kalahari-gin-joints kind of thing. But I console myself with the concept that these are not real-life tales of hardship to which I am supposed to relate to every last detail. The're about heroes and co-incidences and, as I said at the outset, magic.

I've bored you long enough. It's great to be 'in the house'/room. Now, if you don't mind, I'm returning to Lion Kop, where Mark Anders has just had a roll in the hay with Storm Courtney. Outrageous!
gothecon

Re: I see you ...

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:37 pm

gothecon wrote:my first chat room (is that what this is?!?!)

I'm glad you've ventured into the wide and wonderful world of forums, gothecon :) This isn't a chat room, as a chat would be a place online where you could have a real time conversation with more than one person. If you've ever used MSN messenger and the like, those are 'chats'. This is more of a bulletin board, albeit on-line. There are amazing boards (or forums) about every topic imaginable!

I'm convinced Mr Courtenay (one of the less subtle similarities!) has been influenced/inspired by Mr Smith ... perhaps vice versa? Maybe I'm missing something more obvious? Do please let me know if I have stumbled into an area which has been discussed at length before.

I don't we've ever discussed the similarities between the 2 authors. I've never read B. Courtenay, I tried once at the bookstore - couldn't quite get into him. Maybe I should try again!

I had the good fortune to be sent to Durban and Johannesburg for work a couple of years ago. I am sure this now adds significantly to the picture in my mind while reading WS. Similarly, I read Shantaram before this and felt myself transported to the (semi-familiar) streets of Bombay and loved the journey! I often wonder: does having seen a city or landscape where a book is set help to appreciate it?

Certainly doesn't hurt! I grew up in the southern African region and reading WS helps enhance my recall of the history of the different countries when I went to school there. Also helps me see places of my childhood with new eyes when I read his work :) A friend got me into "A Time to Die" when I was in high school in Botswana and I've been hooked ever since.

Feel free to jump in and add to conversations - always nice to read a new perspective on things :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Introductions