A Wilbur Smith "bookplate"?

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

A Wilbur Smith "bookplate"?

Postby jwil » Tue May 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to figure out how to get a signed copy of any Wilbur Smith book as a gift for my father-in-law, who is a longtime fan. On Wilbur's web site, in the FAQ section, Wilbur offers: "I will happily sign a bookplate, but not books themselves" and then proceeds to provide an address to send your bookplates. What is a bookplate and how do I get one? He also requires that you enclose a "pre-paid international postage voucher". Where does one get one of these vouchers? I thought you could only purchase postage in the country of origin, and since I'm not in the UK, how would I get a pre-paid voucher with UK postage?

Thanks for any tips,
John
jwil

Postby Nefer » Tue May 30, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi John!

Bookplates are like labels . I guess WS signs a bookplate/label & sends it to you, & you paste it into your book :)

As for the postage issue, I think you can arrange for international return postage at your Post Office, where-ever you are. It shouldn't be that big of an issue :)

You might want to try ebay for signed copies that are on sale, but they can be quite expensive!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Wed May 31, 2006 11:55 am

Hi John, ebay's definately your best bet - just do a search for "signed Wilbur Smith" - I got 11 results. If there aren't any on the USA one then try the UK ebay - most people will post to the US for a charge.

HTH

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby jwil » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Thanks Matt and Nefer for the suggestions. I'm definitely looking for a personalized Wilbur Smith book, signed to my father-in-law, so I won't find that on eBay. :-) I'm still stuck on where to get bookplates? If Wilbur talks about them on his web site as the only means by which he will sign something by mail, I'm surprised it isn't obvious where to find blank bookplates for sale...
Thanks,
John
jwil

Postby Matbow » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:13 pm

Lol...I guess you'd have to be very lucky to get one of those on Ebay. If you can wait 8-10 months WS will be doing a publicity tour for his next book - I'm sure if you go along and buy a book you'll get what you're after.

As for buying bookplates, well you could go to an "old style" bookshop or a craft shop. TBH, I'de be tempted to just send a piece of high quality paper or a postcard trimmed to the correct size.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:44 pm

Matbow wrote: TBH, I'de be tempted to just send a piece of high quality paper or a postcard trimmed to the correct size.

Yep, or you can design your own.

Here's an example of what one looks like. The webpage also has additional info about International Reply Coupons.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Introductions