New to the Forum

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

New to the Forum

Postby Casedata » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Hello all, I'm Debbie Case otherwise known as casedata. I am a Geek and WS lover. Almost can't read anyother type of book because none compare. I love Historical Fiction Adventure books and movies. Glad I found this forum. Thanks for posting the link on the WS website, which by the way is also great! I just finished Blue Horizon and that triology and have started on When the Lion Feeds and am looking forward to reading all the books. Oh...I am from Hillbilly land in Springfield, MO, USA. Far from the ocean but I like the seafaring Courtney's.
Casedata

Postby Monsoon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi ya Debbie, even though you are landlocked, it's nice that you can read those books and dream of adventure on the high seas. :)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

LandLocked Sea Lover

Postby Casedata » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Yes, land locked is right. My husband got me hooked on scuba diving in the Carribean. I love the ocean. My son is somewhere on the Indian Ocean on an aircraft carrier. He took that picture I use in my profile. Where is the Cornish Coast?
Casedata

Postby Monsoon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:04 pm

It's the south west tip of the Uk and is actually a duchy and the home to Giants, knockers, pixies, King Arthur, warlocks, smugglers, wreckers, pirates and then there is..me!!
Hope your son is not anywhere near the Maldives, it's my favourite surf spot.

Give my regards to everyone in Springfield; Homer and Marge etc :razz:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Casedata » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:09 pm

He is not that far West. He just left Perth and went by the Cocos Is. on his way up to Thailand I think. Such a life.

What is a duchy? You know I have some problems reading and translating WS books with his English and dutch references. I don't know what a lot of those words mean.
Casedata

Postby Matbow » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Hiya Debbie!

Which other historical fiction authors do you like? (I'm currently reading Gai-Gin by James Clavell)

Oh and a bit of info on the "Duchy of Cornwall":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Cornwall

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm

Hi Debbie :)

When the Lion Feeds is a real fav. at the forum, let us know what you think of it!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Welcome Debbie!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Casedata » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks y'all. Glad to get some feedback on the WS novels. The people I work with are so sick of me talking about the Courtney's.

I havn't read too many other authors. I just recently started reading again. There were many years that I was more or less a "professional student", so leisure reading didn't appeal to me as much as learning to build my own computers. But now I'm back in the reading game. I had never heard of Wilbur Smith. The first book I bought was Monsoon, my favorite so far, and I was only interested in it because it sounded kinda like a swashbuckler. (actually the front cover had a partial picture of a ship) But then I found it was the sequel to Birds of Prey, so I bought that one too, and read them in order. I later read Blue Horizon. Now I've started on Lion and will read Thunder next, or should I read his new one Triumph of the Sun. Anyway, glad to be aboard this ship.
Casedata

Postby Phils_jd » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:22 pm

hi ya debbie - where is MO. Thats a good point about what to read first. I wont give you the correct order but refer you to some discissions that have occurred recently. The front menu will show the Courtneys, select that and then chronology order where you can make up your own mind (but stay with When the Lion Feeds) and enjoy yourself here - its a fun place
Phil
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Casedata » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:55 am

I updated my Avatar to show a poorly done picture of the US. MO (Missouri) is the purple state land locked and the miniscule dot in the lower SW corner is where Springfield is. A long way from y'all. And sorry Monsoon, I looked for Homer & Marge but I don't think they live here. We don't even have a nuclear power plant anywhere near here. Just these hills.

I am just about to finish When the Lion Feeds. Sean just had his baby. So I will go and read the chronology threads. I am picking up Triumph of the Sun at lunch today.

Love chatting on this forum. You guys are real nice.
Casedata

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 pm

When the Lion Feeds was I think the best, but I cant recall Sean having a baby - wonder if it hurt him
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Casedata » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:48 pm

Ok....for the realist in the group.....Katrina.

BTW....did you know that if men had babies their would be no poplulation explosion in the world? <grin>
Casedata

Postby Phils_jd » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:50 pm

Cant understand why, my wife had 3 and I never had a problem with any of the births
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby falcon5096 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:22 pm

hiya casedata,

i'm new, here too and its great to see another Courtney fan.

one query, did you start triumph yet? if not then nooooooooo dont,
you have got to follow on with Sound of Thunder and Sparrow Falls, the order of the stories written by WS really does work and the enjoyment of the Courtneys just grows and grows,

anyway seeya for now enjoy the Courtneys...................
falcon5096

Postby Casedata » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:54 pm

falcon...

Howde to you to. Just finished Thunder but there doesn't seem to be any Sparrow books in the US...so had to order off the net from Australia some where. I love the Courtney's.
Casedata

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm

hi falcon 5096 welcome
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Return to Introductions