New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

Postby falcon5096 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:23 am

Hiya All,

Just discovered the Forum after checking the WS official site, I've got to say its about time there was some appreciation of the astounding works of Wilbur Smith.

My first WS experience was Eagle in the Sky in Readers Digest (abridged), within two days tis was replaced by the full version, and ive never looked back.

This led imediately into WTLF. (this being many moons ago in the year of the silver jubilee).

Currently I have undertaken a new project (does anyone fancy the same?) that is reading the full Courtney saga back 2 back in the order written.

So far i am at TSOT (after two weeks) I am almost to my personal favourite- Sparrow Falls.

I am yet another big Courtney fan, believe it or not I named my eldest son Sean for that exact reason.

well bye for now, hope to be involved in some interesting discussions
falcon5096

Postby John R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:37 am

Hey there. Always nice to meet another big Courtney fan. I think you'll fit in well round here. A Sparrow Falls is an incredible book, one of WS's best IMO, but my personal fav is When The Lion Feeds, although A Time To Die pushes it all the way. Hope to hear more from you, enjoy the forum!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby falcon5096 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:28 pm

yep I agree re. WTLF but I honestly think that ASF is the first that WS really infuses the whole adventure genre with the real political stirrings which add to the interest in S Africa and its history, which also leaves you satisfactorily filled.

all in all i think ASF is the one which cranks up a gear,

cheers.....
falcon5096

Postby John R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:36 pm

I can see what you mean. I also found that with A Sparrow Falls Wilbur goes up a notch in terms of romance. I thought it was very emotional, more so than a lot of his others.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi ya Falcon :)

John wrote:
I also found that with A Sparrow Falls Wilbur goes up a notch in terms of romance. I thought it was very emotional, more so than a lot of his others.

I can feel your emotion from here John! :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm

Hola!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Monsoon wrote:I can feel your emotion from here John! :cry:

lol cheers Monsoon, good to hear from you!
John R
Founder Member

Postby Casedata » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Falcon...I too am reading all the Courtneys. Well...I started the Birds of Prey, Monsoon, & Blue Horizon.....then onto WTLF and TSOT, which I just finished. My Sparrow book has not arrived yet so I picked up a John Grishom book I had borrowed from my mother-in-law a while back.

So have you read all the Courtney books before? Just wondered.

Debbie
Casedata

Postby falcon5096 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:34 am

Hiya casedata,

I feel your pain at not being able to get hold of Sparrow Falls, I hope you dont have to wait too long coz the culmination of Seans life will leave you breathless.

I find the final part of the trilogy completes a work of art that can stand alone if necssary, but i wouldnt think of trying to influence you.

to answer your query i have read evrything up to and including Birds of Prey, in sequence, a couple of times previously, doing the same for the Ballantynes as well. Each time it is like putting on an old glove, it just feels so comfortable and so right to follow this epic saga once more.

good luck in the search for Sparrow, wait till you meet Storm, have you tried E-Bay?

bye for now try some solace with Grisham...........
falcon5096

Postby Casedata » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:41 am

Yes....I used our link here on the forum for Ebay USA (like a good forum camper....eh Matt?) and was able to get both Sparrow and Burning Shore for $20 from somewhere in Aussie land. Should be here some time next week.
Debbie
Casedata

Postby Nefer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:29 pm

Allow me to add my welcome falcon! Glad you found us!

I too am a fan of the re-read - currently my Ballantyne project is on hold because uni . has started again, but I'd be up to re-starting it in December!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:52 am

Casedata wrote:Yes....I used our link here on the forum for Ebay USA (like a good forum camper....eh Matt?)

Thanks! :D

Another good place to look for used books is abebooks

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby falcon5096 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:59 am

hiya all,

cheers nefer, 'preciate the welcome and following your lead my timescale also looks like round christmasish for my Ballantyne project so maybe joinya.

gotta say its nice round here, what other unWilbur readers are missing is astounding,

aaaaanyhoo bye for now.......
falcon5096

Postby Bee » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Hi falcon! Just wanted to say welcome! I know it's a bit late, but better later than never! :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 am

Hi falcon - yeah Im slack but a cherry welcom also.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Return to Introductions