UK

New member? Feel free to introduce yourself...

UK

Postby Mike F » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 am

Just read When the Lion Feeds, The Sound of Thunder and A Sparrow Falls. My boss put me onto them as I had just been trawling through the Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt novels which got me into reading. Although these books are a nice read and very entertaining I have found the Wilbur Smith books were just something else. A larger explained story, flowed nicely and a lot more emotion, especially in A Sparrow Falls where Sean starts to fall from grace. I found it hard to really connect with Mark as much as Sean, Mark was a bit more level headed and nice in many ways, where Sean was a bit more brash, a larger than life character.

I also found a lot of the Clive Cussler books seem to follow a similar formula after a while but I still intend on reading them all but for now I am so enthralled with Wilbur Smith Courtney Novels it will not be any time soon.

Only took 28 years for me to start reading ha, wish I started a long time ago although I did read quite a bit in Afghanistan but when I came home it just did not catch on for me, until now.

Just about to start reading Birds of Prey, hoping to get through all the courtney novels as my boss spoke highly of the Egyptian series aswell.

Mike
Mike F

Currently Reading: Birds of Prey

Re: UK

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:44 am

Hi Mike, welcome!

Count yourself lucky that you haven't read the rest of the WS novels yet. I mean that in a very very positive way :). They are absolutely great. Birds of Prey is actually my favourite WS novel. But its sequel Monsoon is also very good. They are all very good. After the Courtneys, read the Egyptians, then the Ballantynes and don't forget the stand-alones!

I'm also a fan of Clive Cussler, although only of his original Dirk Pitt novels (the new ones that his son writes are pretty bad, but still somewhat entertaining). I like the NUMA-files as well with Paul Kemprecos. For me the last 6 original Pitt stories remain the best: Dragon, Sahara, Inca Gold, Shock Wave, Flood Tide and Atlantis Found.

Have fun reading WS
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Mike F » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:02 am

Amazingly I have only read Sahara from that list which is my favourite so far, read a few then went to the start and read his first Dirk Pitt novel which was Pacific Vortex if I remember correctly or the one based at the start of Dirk Pitts adventures. There does seem to be inconsistency in which order to read them but I can tell you what I have read.
Pacific Vortex, The Mediterranean Caper, Iceberg, Deep Six, Sahara, Trojan Odyssey, Treasure of Khan and possibly Black Wind.
Fargo adventures - The Kingdom, Lost Empire and Spartan Gold.

I may read raise the Titanic while I wait for Birds of Prey to be delivered.

Haha I cannot wait trust me, I have literally been raiding ebay for second hand books, got such a back log of things to read including Lord of the Rings but I am so caught up in the Courtney saga they will all have to wait. I really did feel absolutely gutted and upset when dirk got the best of him and Ruth.
Mike F

Currently Reading: Birds of Prey

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 am

I also happen to be a big fan of The Lord of the Rings, though admittedly, this is something you either like, or you don't.

Did you like the Fargo adventures? I only read that one about Napoleon and wasn't that impressed.

But as for Wilbur, he definitely has that ability to let you connect to his characters in a way that other authors lack. I'm always particularly fond of the characters like Aboli (from Birds of Prey) and Mbejane.

Have fun with your reading!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:08 pm

The early Egypt books are great, the newer ones you can pass on :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Introductions