New Forum...

Forum and Website Announcements.

New Forum...

Postby Matbow » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:46 pm

Everyone,

As I'm sure you've noticed I've made a pretty dramatic change to the forum style (I hope you like it!), however what's probably less obvious is that at the same time I've also updated the forum software to the latest version of phpBB.

With regards to the new template, this is something I've been working on for a long time! I can't take responsibility for all of the design, it's based on a template designed by "geek4ums" (link at the bottom of the forum), I've just made some changes to it!

The new version of phpBB has an extensive list of new features - please take the time to have a look around your control panel, and familiarise yourself with the new post options (attachments/report a post etc...)

One of the weirdest changes (IMHO) is that the posters profile is now on the right of the post - what do you guys think of this? I can change it, but the rationale for having it one the right is that the reader is first drawn to the post, not the user. Opinions?

Unfortunately, changing the forum software has meant that some of the features that I added myself the the old forum have been lost (Quick reply, Album, Posters online the past 24 hours, Reputation, Post details on the index). I will try to add back as many of these functions as I can.

So, what do you guys think? Do you want any more info? Are there any errors?

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: New Forum...

Postby Nefer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:15 pm

The user info on the right will take a while to get used to, but I really like it! Good job webmaster! =D> :mrgreen: [b14]
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ada » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:48 pm

My smilies and hopman "pictures" didn't show on my first post ("Expect Changes soon...") And yet I noticed they did work for Nefer.

Have I just not found it yet or do we no longer have the italics, colour, font changes, etc. functions when posting replies?

Testing the smilies import: ](*,) 8-[ :?: :eek: #-o Looks like they're still not working. :(

That's strange. The "Private Messages" page in the "User Control Panel" does have the above mentioned options and if that's how they're supposed to show on this page then it ain't workin' yet. :?
Last edited by Ada on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Ada, I have the editing functions in my reply box... Not sure why it's not working for you... :(
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Awesome new style, Matt! :D I like the serene image at the top (with the ship on the water).

I couldn't believe it when I first saw the place!

As for the post editing options, it says to the right that "BBCode is OFF". It's still on when I made a post in the General section, though.

Edit: I just noticed something.. A friends and foes section in the User Control Panel?! Haha, that's so cool!
Rivaan

Postby Ada » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Yep, that's the problem Rivaan and we can't change it - i.e. "BBCode is OFF" in this section for us lowly/plain/everyday users :lol: .

I just posted in General too and it's OK there. Oh well - if that's the only teething problems then I'd say everything is pretty good.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Rivaan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Heh, yes we lowly plebs need to be kept in check every now and then. ;)

It's probably to avoid any extra confusing clutter, to posts in the Announcement section. That or it was overlooked, lol.
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 am

Rivaan wrote:Heh, yes we lowly plebs need to be kept in check every now and then. ;)

Yep, it's a function of the forum permissions that the standard member permissions for this forum are a little strict, however I didn't realise how strict they were! I *think* I've changed it now so that BB code and smilies are activated, I'll find out in a second as I'm actually posting as a normal user myself... :D
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:02 am

Forum looks good to me! However i don't like the profile being on the right, its kind of like hearing someone talk before you see them and seems a little unatural.
And where has my 'founder member' tag gone :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:08 am

Monsoon wrote:Forum looks good to me! However i don't like the profile being on the right, its kind of like hearing someone talk before you see them and seems a little unatural.

I'll give it a week for people to get used to it and then I'll post a thread with a poll...

Monsoon wrote:And where has my 'founder member' tag gone :cry:

Ah yes, I'll see what I can do with that!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby delby » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:25 pm

whoa ok I am in the right place then pretty cool

Well done bowby
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Rivaan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:26 pm

I rather like the member info being on the right instead of the left. It's a change from the usual, and changes with forums are always interesting to me. :) It makes this place different from a lot of other forums out there.
Rivaan

Postby Ramon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 am

I like the new layout. It takes some time getting used to, but it is nice that it doesn't look like all the other forums out there.

However, I think the background could use a little redo. The bg.gif isn't very nice in my humble opinion.

And what about the header_pic? Why the boat?
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby Matbow » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Ramon wrote:However, I think the background could use a little redo. The bg.gif isn't very nice in my humble opinion.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I like it and therefore it's staying (at least until I get bored of it or find something better!) :D

Ramon wrote:And what about the header_pic? Why the boat?

The image is actually of Africa, which is why I choose it. I admit the boat is a little random, maybe I could just be paying an homage to "Hungry as the Sea"?! I might photoshop the boat out to see what it looks like...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Ramon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:53 am

Matbow wrote:Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I like it and therefore it's staying (at least until I get bored of it or find something better!) :D

Okay. You're the boss ;-)
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby Monsoon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:58 am

I think the boat in the pic is ok, that shot certainly needs something in the foreground or else it would be somewhat bland. Its also very difficult to come up with a panoramic picture that would suit this forum, perhaps people should submit some and if a better pic is found perhaps the user should be awarded a star or something.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby i_heart_nefie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:09 am

Woah...it has been a while since I've been here due to school and everything so I got a shock!! It looks really awesome and modern, and I love the new features like the friends thing!! Really cool Matt!!!!
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Matbow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 pm

i_heart_nefie wrote:Woah...it has been a while since I've been here due to school and everything so I got a shock!! It looks really awesome and modern, and I love the new features like the friends thing!! Really cool Matt!!!!

Thanks!

Whilst I'm here - is anyone having issues with the forum images not displaying properly? I.e the "Post" icon or the wood background?

Thanks.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Rivaan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:23 pm

I haven't had any problems.

The only time I may get red x's instead of the images is if I am downloading a file which is taking up all of my bandwidth. But that's due to my own actions and not the board's.

It's been fine for me. :)
Rivaan

Return to Forum Announcements