Ideas Wanted!

Forum and Website Announcements.

Ideas Wanted!

Postby Matbow » Mon May 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Another one of my periodical announcements asking for ideas...

This time I want ideas on what an unofficial website (ie here) could offer WS fans that the official site doesn't. So far I've thought of:

Fan Fic
Reviews
Forum
Alternate reading orders

Obviously those 4 are satisfied within this forum, but are there anymore, espec non-forum?

Basically I'm trying to work out whether designing a small website (with the forum at its core) is worth creating. It would be good way to get more popularity and users, but there's no point in doing it if I/we can't offer any more than the official site.

Thanks!

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Rivaan » Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Member-drawn fan art!!

Lol. I am not that good at drawing, unfortunately.. But if anyone is, they could draw some characters and there could be a section to host those pics on the site. Just a thought.

How about location history and trivia of the many places and/or cultures in his books?
Rivaan

Postby Nefer » Wed May 10, 2006 11:21 am

I like that idea!

Dunno if it's feasible, but it would be reat to have a thumbnail-type history on all the real-life characters in the books. Will make it easy for fans to see how much research WS puts into his books. That could tie in nicely with the location history :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Wed May 10, 2006 12:25 pm

Def a good idea and def possible to do. I'm rubbish at art tho, so I won't be posting anything!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby tadh23 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:01 pm

One of my greatest problems with WS is actually my favorite thing. So much of his work is historical fivction, but i cannot always determine what is fiction and what is not. Perhaps a section breaking down the basic research/ historical information behind each book.
tadh23

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:05 pm

Wow, awesome idea! Anyone want to volunteer to so some research!!?

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:50 am

I don't claim to be a historian - but I do know of some African history :)

I can do a little bit, based on what I know. I'll try and have something by the weekend :)

Tadh, do you know of any historical events that did WS writes about?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Allira » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 am

The Hyksos is in the bible so it has to be based on some fact........I did a search myself through google and came up with heaps of sites :-) not sure if we can post other links in here though????
xxxHugs from Down Underxxx
Allira
Allira

Postby Allira » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:02 am

ok shoot me and call me Nelly I didnt see the dates feels like an idiot...*blushin*...
xxxHugs from Down Underxxx
Allira
Allira

Postby Nefer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:36 am

Aw, lol, thats okay! You can still go ahead and post the links, I'm sure there is curiosity still!

& PS, you can always hit the 'edit' button to add to your original post :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Ideas Wanted!

Postby vincent » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:02 am

Seeing that I was born and brought up in the Natal Midlands (very close to Ladyburg) I can easily field any questions or queries as to what is fiction with regard to the history of the area.
Vincent.
vincent

Location: Howick, Natal Midlands,South Africa. Close to Ladyburg!!!!
Currently Reading: The white whirlwind

Re: Ideas Wanted!

Postby bayside » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Perhaps many of the long-term members of this unique group -- and especially the Brits, ETAL -- are already aware of the BBC African information on the daily internet news. Just this morning, however, I was fooling around on BBC and, by accident, was able to click onto their world-wide coverage. Wow -- local news of Malawi, Zimbabwe, Botswana, etc., etc. So, for those of you non-Brits, whose interest in Africa has been whetted by WS, this might be a new way for more current research. There's an old saying I hold dear: "It's what I START to learn, after I already know it all, that really matters."
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Return to Forum Announcements