save the whales

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

save the whales

Postby Danny Ramone » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:36 pm

First of all, sorry to the administrators and all users for pedaling something OT on the forum. That being said, reading Wilbur Smiths books has left me with a sense of wanting to conserve the world that we live in, i think chances are that he has passed this on to other readers.

At this moment a fleet of japanese ships are headed to the southern ocean to slaughter a quota of whales claiming "scientific research" everybody knows that with the quotas they have this is complete bollocks.

The editor of a New Zealand newspaper hand delivered a letter to the embassy asking for Japan to act in stoping this fleet.

The same paper has sponsored and online petition against this whaling.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stop-japans-whaling-programme.html

if you feel strongly about this then follow the above link and sign the petition, and if you feel real strongly post this message in other forums that you frequent. the more signatures the better.
Danny Ramone

Currently Reading: power of the sword

Re: save the whales

Postby Henrik » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 am

Well I have to ask why we should not use exploit the whales for food when we do so with so many other animals in this world. What makes the whales so special?
Henrik

Postby Rivaan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Henrik wrote:What makes the whales so special?

They're going extinct? When something becomes endangered, the human race alters its actions and tries to preserve the dying species. If there were too many whales in this world, it would be quite the opposite. Hunting them would probably be accepted as a necessary part in keeping ecological balance in the world.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Danny Ramone » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:29 am

Rivaan wrote:
Henrik wrote:What makes the whales so special?

They're going extinct? When something becomes endangered, the human race alters its actions and tries to preserve the dying species. If there were too many whales in this world, it would be quite the opposite. Hunting them would probably be accepted as a necessary part in keeping ecological balance in the world.

pretty much sums it up thank you.
Danny Ramone

Currently Reading: power of the sword

Postby Henrik » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:22 am

Whales are not going extinct, their numbers have actually swelled the last decades. There are only a few species that are endagered, which ones was being huntet here. My own country (Norway) for instance takes just above 500 whales a year from the Minke species, which is in no way endagered.

But if they are hunting one of the species that are vulnerable things would of course look different.
Henrik

Postby Rivaan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:06 am

That article says that Japan is also proposing to hunt Humpback whales and Fin whales. And those species are considered endangered.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby nebogatoff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:41 am

Mmmmmm...whale.

Mighty good eatin'.
nebogatoff

Return to General Discussion Forum