Ebay - Grrr

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Ebay - Grrr

Postby Matbow » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:01 pm

So, after making a purchase on ebay on Wednesday night for £140 I get an email tonight from the seller asking for a £5 paypal surcharge (this was in the small print of the item, but I didnt see it). Bearing in mind I used the "buy it now" option and paid the £20 premium for the privalledge I was slightly pissed off.

Being the shrewd and clued up person I am, I knew that such charges are not allowed by ebay so I replied to the seller telling him this (with the relevant ebay URL) and saying that I expect a speedy delivery with no further action from myself.

I don't want to upset the seller as I really want this item but my question is - am I being stingy over a measly 5 pounds or would other people have taken the same line as me?

I'll keep you posted with the outcome!

Matt
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:04 am

You are doing the right thing Mat. Ebay is all about principles and trust, so there shouldn't be hidden charges in small print. Everyone knows the price is just what it says it is and the only other thing to take into account is postage.
Having used the buy now option i am sure the seller is going to be more than happy with the amount you paid, if it had gone to auction they know all to well that it could have been a lot less.
Stick to your guns Mat and help keep Ebay as a place reliant on trust.

What annoys me as a buyer, are sellers who receive my money but refuse to give me feedback until i have given them feedback. So if i'm not happy with their part of the transaction, what am i supposed to do, leave them negative feedback? Knowing full well they will do the same to me even though i kept my end of the bargain, and in doing so destroy my 100% record!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:06 am

Well, quite strangely my purchase arrived this morning! I assume the seller must of sent it and then realised I hadn't paid the fee.

I'm a happy bunny now :D
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Yakumo » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:39 am

Ebay may now be a bit miffed that there is a forum about Ebay Grrr.

Ponder the thought that Ebay is not at fault here but the reprobate that added a small print line. An alteration of the name of this forum may be appropriate.

Other wise Matt stick to your guns and don't let them get away with it :lol:. Can we tell your from Yorkshire?
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah, I'd be mad at the 5 buck thing.

Its not the money, but the principle of the thing. Its great that it all worked out for you in the end! :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to General Discussion Forum