Big News of the Day

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:54 am

Actually, I hadn't seen this yet :) Thanks for posting it!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Yummy!

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:53 pm

David Beckham aka Prince Philip come to save his Beauty? I'm in :mrgreen:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6305049.stm
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 pm

that is awesome! And Scarlett Johansson looks good as Cinderella, not sure about Beyonce as Alice though...
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Nefer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:21 pm

Good for the Aussies!!

Sydney Blackout
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:32 am

Good one but lets hope for for some developments from this and not just a one off event. It's about time we should be able to see the night sky in more clarity!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:49 pm

About Aussies again... My thoughts and prayers are with all the Aussie members, hopefully none of you are affected by this.

Aussie storm
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Big News of the Day

Postby Ada » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:15 pm

I’m OK down here (Melbourne) so far and Nefie & Kate should be OK although they had a lot of rain up there. Alysha, Egyptian Eyes, and Phils id may have had problems as they live within the storm zone. Despite all that rain in Queensland and New South Wales, I think, (like us in Victoria), they are still on water restrictions due to the drought! :shock:

Sorry if I've missed any regular/recent Aussie posters but not everyone lists their State, City or even Country.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:33 pm

We haven't heard from other Aussie members so I'm going to guess that everyone is okay :) Thanks for the help Ada!!!

I saw this today and thought it would make for interesting discussion on the Zimbabwe issue. There are comments posted by BBC readers on the website, you can read these by clicking the link, I'll just post the story. This is Kenneth Kaunda (former president of Zambia) talking about Mugabe.

Kaunda on Mugabe

Viewpoint: Kaunda on Mugabe

Mugabe's regime has been widely condemned in the West
Leaders in the West say Robert Mugabe is a demon, that he has destroyed Zimbabwe and he must be gotten rid of - but this demonising is made by people who may not understand what Robert Gabriel Mugabe and his fellow freedom fighters went through, says former Zambian President Kenneth Kaunda.

In 1960, Harold Macmillan, then British prime minister, made a statement in Cape Town referring to what was taking place in southern Africa as "the wind of change." He had correctly read the feelings of the black masses.

Eventually, the British government abolished the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland. In 1964, Northern Rhodesia became Zambia and Nyasaland became Malawi.

But white people in Rhodesia rejected that wind of change and, in November 1965, Ian Smith, by force, took over in a "Unilateral Declaration of Independence".

It was treason against the colonial ruler, the British monarchy. Soon Smith had arrested a number of African leaders, including Robert Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo.

By now Harold Wilson was the British premier, but he showed signs of hopelessness. He called meetings aboard the Tiger and Fearless navy ships. But neither meeting showed tiger claws, and both were fearful of the rebels in Rhodesia.

I spoke with Wilson myself, but there was no progress. And, sadly, Smith's rebel regime went on.

White train

Meanwhile, the Zimbabwe freedom struggle was continuing, but handicapped because its key leaders were locked up.

Even talks with another British prime minister, Edward Heath, did not help. I could see clearly that no matter who became prime minister of Britain, they would do nothing about the Rhodesia situation.

Mugabe: The survivor

It was South Africa that was in charge. I concluded that the settlers were interested in keeping Southern Rhodesia under white rule so that they could have a buffer against advancing African independent states.

In 1974, I decided to meet John Vorster, South Africa's then-prime minister. We met at the bridge between Zambia and then Southern Rhodesia, in Vorster's white train, for three nights.

He had to leave on the third night because he was not feeling well. But as a follow-up to our discussions, he freed our colleagues in Zimbabwe's liberation movements.

There was, of course, not a single dull moment in the struggle for independence in our region. In August 1979, Commonwealth countries from all over the world met in Lusaka to consider many issues - but the most serious one was the Zimbabwe situation.

In the end it was Britain's new prime minister, Margaret Thatcher, who agreed Britain would hold a conference on the future of Zimbabwe in London. She asked me to be around at what became known as the Lancaster House talks, in case difficulties arose in the negotiations.

Waiting

At the talks, the people of Zimbabwe were assured that they were going to be independent the following year, 1980.

But that wonderful news was conditional. The new government of Zimbabwe was not to deal with land issues but was to "leave that in the hands of the British government".

Nationalists from Zimbabwe accepted this rather harsh and complicated condition.

The Thatcher government had begun to deal with the land issue, as did her successor, John Major.

But when Tony Blair took over in 1997, I understand that some young lady in charge of colonial issues within that government simply dropped doing anything about it.

I ask you to consider the implications of the long struggle. The nationalists, who had the regaining of land as a key objective of their struggle, were now being told the British government, which promised to look after that issue themselves, was not going to go ahead with it.

The Zimbabwean government waited patiently for more than 10 years, but the British government defaulted.

We must remember the occupation by Cecil Rhodes. Rhodes removed African people from fertile lands to hilly and unfertile lands in favour of settlers.

And remember that, later, while neighbours became independent, Southern Rhodesia was grabbed by white settlers, led by Smith. In the struggle, many people were killed.

There have been allegations of corruption in relation to land allocation. Well, the corruption should have been dealt with by all. Stopping the land programme, and doing nothing, was not the solution.

I do not believe it is right to demonise Robert Gabriel Mugabe. It is notable that he and his colleagues have not expelled from Zimbabwe people who did terrible things to them.

A star is born

Of course, there are some things which President Mugabe and his colleagues have done which I totally disagree with - for example, the police beating of Morgan Tsvangirai.

It is not that I think Tsvangirai can make a good leader - I see him as the [former Zambian leader] Frederick Chiluba of Zimbabwe - but beating him or even sending him to prison will not be the right thing.

On the other hand, given their experience, I can understand the fury that goes through President Mugabe and his colleagues.

Now, let me reveal that when Blair was elected British prime minister, I wrote a poem in his favour, called A Star Is Born To Us. Indeed, his feelings for Africa have been very good.

But then came the two Bs, Blair and George Bush, and their terrifying act of March 2003 - the invasion and occupation of Iraq. I condemned the two Bs publicly, denouncing the criminal invasion.

Now my prayer is that the Zimbabwe issue will be treated differently by Blair's successor, Gordon Brown.

It is also my humble prayer that South African President Thabo Mbeki and his regional colleagues will meet Robert Gabriel Mugabe, who will be ready in his soul, mind, and body to respond to the advice they give him and the people of Zimbabwe.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:41 pm

:( :( :(

I used to be a fan of wrestling (WWF/E and WCW to be exact). One wrestler I used to like a lot was Chris Benoit.

It's just breaking out in the news, but Chris Benoit and his family (wife and son, possibly more, I dunno) were found dead in their home in Atlanta, Georgia.

WWE STAR CHRIS BENOIT, HIS WIFE AND FAMILY FOUND DEAD IN ATLANTA
by Mike Johnson @ 6:04:00 PM on 6/25/2007

We are still awaiting further details, but PWInsider.com is extremely saddened to report that former WWE and WCW World champion Chris Benoit and his wife, former WCW and ECW personality Nancy "Woman" Benoit were both found dead today in Atlanta, Georgia. Obviously this will be a huge developing story in the days to come but at this point, we'd like to express our deepest condolences to the Benoits' family, friends, and fans at this time.

A meeting is currently ongoing at WWE TV and it is expected that tonight's three hour Raw will now be dedicated to Benoit's memory.

6:09 Update: WWE.com issued the following statement this afternoon:

"WWE is sad to report that Chris Benoit and his family have been found dead in their home. Police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the deaths. Tonight's Raw will be a tribute to Chris and his family."

That was taken from a wrestling site, but here is a proper news site:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3315501&page=1

The police are still investigating, but are now suspecting a murder-suicide.
Rivaan

Postby John R » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 am

that is proper disturbing from what i've heard, he killed his wife and kid then himself!!? Couldn't believe it when i heard it, i used to watch him in action when i was younger
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Re: Big News of the Day

Postby Matbow » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:45 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7126973.stm
Flatulence ban for club pensioner

A social club in Devon has banned a 77-year-old man from breaking wind while indoors.

Maurice Fox received a letter from Kirkham Street Sports and Social Club in Paignton asking him to consider his actions, which "disgusted" members.

Mr Fox, a club regular for 20 years, said: "I am happy to oblige them, there is no problem. I do get a bit windy - I am an old fart now."

He said he had to leave the club about three times a night.

In its letter to the retired bus driver, the club said: "After several complaints regarding your continual breaking of wind (farting) while in the club, would you please consider that your actions are considered disgusting to fellow members and visitors.

"You sit close to the front door, so would you please go outside when required. So please take heed of this request."

Mr Fox, who lives in nearby Princess Street, said the letter was a surprise because he had been given no verbal warning.

"I think someone has complained about the noise. I am a loud farter, but there is no smell.

"I do not think it [the letter] is unreasonable, you get ladies in there."

Mr Fox also spends two days a week at the nearby Palace Place club, but said he had no complaints about flatulence there.

The club said there was no one available for comment.

Brilliant!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:03 pm

:lol: I don't know why they're complaining, at least it doesn't smell!!!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ada » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Re the old fart story. It reminds me of a story my Dad told me years ago. Apparently this guy he played golf with had a hearing problem and finally went and bought a hearing aid. Afterwards he realised that what he thought were quiet little sneakers of farts, were in actual fact, boomers! :shock: :lol:

I suspect Mr. Fox also has a problem but not with his hearing. His I believe is with his sense of smell. It sounds like he’s one of those who thinks his “you know what” doesn’t stink! There’s no smoke without fire and don’t forget what causes them in the first place. When it comes to farts, the sounds are hilarious - ask Eddy Murphy. :lol: It’s the smell that is offensive and I suspect that’s what the letter of complaint was about.

When you stop and think about it, it’s good there is a sound. That way we know when to evacuate or who to blame. :lol: It’s the SBDs that are a problem as you never know who to blame. [-X
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Matbow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Ada wrote:It’s the SBDs that are a problem as you never know who to blame. [-X

The dog :lol:
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Or your students :lol:
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Benazir Bhutto Assassinated

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — The Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated near the capital, Islamabad, on Thursday. Witnesses said Ms. Bhutto, who was appearing at a political campaign rally, was fired upon at close range by a gunman, and then struck by shrapnel from a blast that the government said was caused by a suicide bomber.

Read more at the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/world/asia/28pakistan.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

It happened just a few hours ago.. I am concerned over Pakistan's situation, and the consequences of this tragedy.
Last edited by Rivaan on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah, too bad. Latest news reports are showing the destruction of infrastructure - they burned a hospital -! :roll: Who is that really helping?

I can bet almost anything that Musharaf is thrilled - no elections means he gets to stay as Pres. And the lady knew she was a target, its too bad she couldn't escape this time.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:50 am

How are all our Brit members doing? I heard about the earthquake. Hugs to all of you.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Rivaan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:36 pm

I am not doing so good.. I feel left out, because I didn't feel any tremor or afershock. :( Lol!

But in all seriousness, so far one person is confirmed as being injured from the whole event. A suspected fractured pelvis from the roof collapsing.

What's strange is that some people felt the shaking of their whole house, and others 10 minutes away from them felt nothing. This has been a common occurunce (the inconsistencies of effects for all people). :?
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:16 am

Nefer wrote:How are all our Brit members doing? I heard about the earthquake. Hugs to all of you.

The one time something exciting/dangerous happens in the UK I'm out of the country...I guess that's a good thing right?!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Forum