Tropical Cyclone Larry

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Tropical Cyclone Larry

Postby Nefer » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:56 pm

I just caught this... The picture of the cyclone looks horrific.

Hopes everyone in the area is okay...

Cyclone batters Australian coast

Military helicopters are on alert to help with rescue efforts
A powerful tropical cyclone has hit Australia's north-east coast, packing winds of up to 290km/h (180mph).

Tropical Cyclone Larry smashed into Queensland at Innisfail, about 100km (62 miles) south of Cairns.

"We are very concerned... it's the worst cyclone we've had in decades," said Queensland Premier Peter Beattie.

The storm was initially a category five - the strongest possible - but was downgraded to a category four shortly after it crossed the coastline.

Thousands of residents have been evacuated and Mr Beattie has given the authorities the legal power to forcibly remove any reluctant evacuees.

Prime Minister John Howard has put the country's military helicopters on alert to help with any rescue efforts.

Three people are reported to have been injured so far, including a woman who was struck by flying glass.

"We have roofs flying off... and trees across roads," police officials in Innisfail said.

Major airlines have cancelled all flights into the city of Cairns and shelters for evacuees have been set up in inland towns.

Devastating

Rescue officials compared the potential force of Cyclone Larry to Hurricane Katrina, which ravaged US Gulf states last year, killing more than 1,300 people.

Counter Disaster and Rescue Services chief Frank Pagano warned residents to stay away from areas likely to become flooded, saying water often posed a much higher danger than gale-force winds during cyclones.

In December 1974, Category Four Cyclone Tracy hit the northern Australian city of Darwin, killing 49 people and another 16 at sea.

Some 70% of Darwin's homes were destroyed or severely damaged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4823580.stm
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Phils_jd » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:06 pm

Yeah - its one big mother of a storm. Fortunately Im a long way away. If its as bad as Tracy was - it will be a disaster. So far there saying one in three roofs have been ripped off, but unfortunately I have absolutely no faith in any news report, they are just headline grabbers, so really its hard to know whats going on.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby John R » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:48 am

That looks rather scary!
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Yakumo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Are storms worse now than ever before or is just that they are reported more in the modern age.

My thoughts go out to all those affected.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Kate4Tanus » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 am

It is all so sad, hey! It is just horrible. We are doing all sorts of fundraisers and stuff for all the victims. The houses are just ruined. It is amazing how these things happen. (in a bad way!)
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:06 am

It was very sad to see all the ruined houses and belongings on the news. The people deserve all our support and it isnt fair that there was another cyclone up there the other day too. I'm glad it didnt come as far down as us, hey kate?
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:07 am

Lucky. But not lucky for them
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:15 am

I know...has there ever been a cyclone in the great south east? I hope there never is.
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:50 am

Great South East. hee hee. There probably has, but I hope there is never another one. Those things are horrible
Kate4Tanus

Return to General Discussion Forum