The World Cup.

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Postby WSI » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:04 pm

it thrills: Germany - Argentia 1:1 at the moment
so let's go in the overtime (it'll kill me), I said 2:1 after penalties (hope so)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby WSI » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:15 pm

I wondered whether you have in your courties banners, too? Here it is a fast seller, almost every car has at least one banner, it the german as well as other. I'm almost urged to have one by myself :oops:
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:04 pm

You should go for it! Support the local colours - Germany are through!

What a killer match! Kept me guessing right to the shoot-outs. Ballack was amazing, having to play through his injury AND take a penalty goal :)

I did wonder if I saw Podolski take a Heil salute after he scored...?

Too bad for the emotional Argentinians - they played well :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:21 pm

yeah, it was almost killing me ... the penalties were muderous. Now there's party everywhere, car parades, banners, flags ... wow

I think it was just a salute with the arm; Podoski it rather undersized but not such a fool
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Jester » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 am

Just seen Rooney get sent off (deservedly) for England. What a stupid thing to do!
Jester

Postby Monsoon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Jester wrote:Just seen Rooney get sent off (deservedly) for England. What a stupid thing to do!

Let me guess?...You are having a joke?
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Yakumo » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Rooney off

Fixed

Ronaldo is a ?%&*

Pre match he said he was gonna get Rooney sent off. did you see the agro.

Porto are dishonest, fouling, falling over bar stewards.

Bittter, Me? No never.

Go Brazil
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:20 pm

damn now brazil is out!!! this cup is not going my way @ all.

i caught the england game, they deserved to win. too bad about beckham & rooney :(
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Jester wrote:Just seen Rooney get sent off (deservedly) for England. What a stupid thing to do!

I'm not so sure that this was right, a yellow card could have been enough ...

Portos are fouling? Well, I saw the others could as well - if not even better. But they just had the luck of a better keeper. On the field they were disoriented and weak. Good for France!

Brazil was not in a good mood, Zidane made a very,very good game. Experience batters youth. Yeah.

My hint: France goes for the cup
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Jester » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:33 am

Does anyone really think that Rooney was unlucky? It was possibly the worst tackle I've seen on a football field. The England team were unlucky as they were let down by their best player but Rooney was a disgrace.
Jester

Postby Monsoon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:22 am

I've seen far worse challenges on a football pitch, and in any case that is not what he was sent off for. Two Portuguese players were all over him and all three were giving as good as they got, when Rooney started to go down he didn't exactly have much choice of where his feet were going to go although i admit he certainly made sure of it! However the referee who witnessed it all from close by decided a free kick would suffice. It was then that Ronaldo intervened to try and get Rooney punished, and its bad enough when a player demands for another to be sent off (cheating) but when it was his own clubmate from Man Utd, its not hard to see why Rooney should be so exasperated, and that is why he shoved Ronaldo which is why the referee sent him off, for raising his hands!
Ronaldo was cunning throughout the game, not just to get the result but for his future career aswell.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 am

Even thought i'm Welsh and was hoping England would not win the world cup, i did feel a bit sorry for them because Portugal used all the tricks in the book. I hope France kills them in the semi-finals. Portugal = dirty tricks. Having said that, England - and inparticular Rooney - should be mature enough not too fall for the tricks/. I'll bet you if Portugal try it again with France, it won't work.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Matbow » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:09 pm

I've yet to see the stamping incident close-up in real time, all these slow-mo's make tackles seem at lot worse that they really are. Having said that, it did look a bit nasty - altho, I agree with Monsoon that it was probably the push that got him sent off.

Really don't like C. Ronaldo...what a c***!

We had a power cut just after Rooney was sent off - I missed the remainder of normal time and all but 5 mins of Extra time! Now that was annoying!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby WSI » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Well, probably I shooldn't say anything more on Rooney, but I am a victim of myself :wink:

However it was right to send him off or not, in my eyes he was rather unfair. OK, to make a step into another man may happen. But this hustling/shoving and mobbing while the referee is trying to find out what happend, is not fair play. And nobody can deny that he did exactly that.

For sure the Portos were not better, they just had luck and, as said, a good keeper. France will sweep them away in the hext game. Tell me: What tricks did you see from the Portos? I guess you mean 'fouls' and not technique? They were bad as well in tricks ...
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:07 am

u guys brazil is gone, and england is gone.....what is the world cup coming to...
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Jester » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Maybe slightly off topic and I have already said that Rooney deserved to go but the Portugese are a disgrace. Not just at the World Cup but in almost every game you see a Portugese side playing in. They are masters at diving, rolling around and trying to get the opposition sent off. Unfortunately they get off with it and retrospectively neither FIFA nor UEFA seem to want to challenge them.
Jester

Postby WSI » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:45 pm

Italy deservedly in the final ... 2 goals in not 2 minutes. Good work, I have to admit. So let's see who will get the third
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:07 pm

Argh I missed most of it! And will probably not get to see today's either. Am rooting for France though.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:46 pm

France made it through... at least that's what I think I've heard.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:14 pm

wow what a game Germany Italy! Amazing. France will give them a good run for their money in the final but if Italy play like that, there will be no stopping them. World champs for a 4th time.....?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Forum