Converted to E-Book - I Love Reading From My Kindle

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Re: Converted to E-Book - NEFER & MATBOW LOVES THERE NEW EBOOK

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 am

johnrogers wrote:
E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:...

Next time you see EHoog online see if you can convert him - he is a stubborn dutchman =D> [b11]

Haha, not going to happen any time soon. In fact, one of my projects for somewhere in the next half year is to build four bookcases. That is not to say that I don't see the merit of an ebook as a travel tool. I just returned from a trip to Texas. Naturally I came back with 6 more books than I brought, which can be quite an impact on your carry-on :wink:

E-Hoog I am on a mission to convert you :lol: You have no idea on what your missing out on and you can still build your bookshelves :eek: Get one E-Hoog you will kiss the earth you walk on for owning one and if you get one I won't call you stubborn anymore :lol: JOHN ROGERS ON A LIFELONG MISSION TO CONVINCE E-HOOG TO BUY AN EREADER

:) Good luck. Like I said, not soon, but who knows? When I finish my bookcases I'll post a photo with an e-reader next to it to compare the difference in size :wink:. Oh, and I am stubborn.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Re: Converted to E-Book - They Are Worth It - Very Nice To Have

Postby tedd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Hold on EHoog - don't let these heathens wear you down - we may be the dinosaurs of the book world but we are keeping alive the book as an object in its own right!.. as a beautiful collectible and sometimes valuable thing that can be displayed as an item of art as well as a useful product - you can't do that with a an electronic book
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Converted to E-Book - They Are Worth It - Very Nice To Have

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:01 am

Hi Tedd how are things down under have been watching a lot of canadian news broadcasts about the extreme flooding going on in your country the video on television is quite dramatic with cars being swept away and people being rescued by helicopter.I am very aware about natural disaster my wife and I got in a Hurricaine ( Wilma ) in Cancun Mexico a few years ago and lived to tell the tale - No one really understands unless you actually experience it.

Regarding EBooks Tedd I totally hear what you are saying and I certainly respect the hardcover or paperback in every way and by no means will I stop purchaseing or reading them =; But you must appreciate the value and convenience of reading a book from an ereader - a very pleasureable experience the text reads clear off an eink white backpage - So all I say to you is please if you ever have a chance try one and read one novel from it - You would love it Tedd

[b7] Did read a couple of Lee Childs as you suggested and Stephen King even mentioned Jack Reacher in his novel Under The Dome ( they must be buddys ) - take care johnrogers =D> what are you reading right now Tedd :?:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Converted to E-Book - I Love Reading From My Kindle

Postby SOELEY » Tue May 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Just thought I'd add my name to the Kindle ownership list 8)

Since I got my Kindle latest version 3G, i have been reading more than when I read paper books, it's so much easier to carry with you and not at all bulky. It's just like reading a book aswell not a computer screen or smartphone.

I'm well converted.
The one down side is (if you can call it a downside) I'm now buying my WS books from Amazon and not the charity shop, so they are costing me a bit more. :lol:
SOELEY

Currently Reading: Shock Wave - Clive Cussler

Postby johnrogers » Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Solely - I concur I love my ebook which is a kindle now that I have adjusted I well prefer reading from it rather than a paperback or hardcover by a country mile.The text is so easy to read and is very much paperlike looking only much sharper with perfect contrast.As well I can read more and I can read a lot longer without getting tired or double visioned.

My household now has two individual kindles I bought one for my wife recently she is a big reader and so am I so sharing is difficult and we both prefer the ebook so now we have two.Kind of is economical as well hence she downloads a novel and I have access to it as well.

No I mean it the ebook is the only way to go - I am crazy for the damn thing :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:40 am

This is my answer to the e-book reader:

http://www.tomhuiskamp.com/Kast/

:)

Took about 160 hours to build...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 am

E-Hoog

Congrats on your building project - it looks really great you did a fantastic job I love it.

One question - how do you fit it in your suitcase when you travel :lol:

Thanks for the photos 8)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:10 pm

When my bookshelf grows up it wants to be just like yours, E-Hoog!

Thanks for sharing, you did a fantastic job :) Love the glimpses of the HP books, too!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:53 pm

E-Hoog wrote:This is my answer to the e-book reader:

http://www.tomhuiskamp.com/Kast/

:)

Took about 160 hours to build...

Awesome!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby tedd » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Well done E-Hoog - now all you need is some books to fill the shelves and use up all the space consumed by non-book items. And if you fill it with 1st edns you'll be worth a fortune!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:30 am

Thanks for all the comments :-). I'm quite happy with it myself. The three most right parts are for my paperbacks. They are a little over half-filled, so I have some shopping to do :wink:.

If I would fill it with first editions I'd be broke :wink:, but that would be nice. For now it's just paperbacks for me.

The Harry Potter books are actually one of the few hardcover books in there. They are worth it :wink:. Not that WS doesn't warrant such treatment, but buying 30-something hardcover books instead of paperbacks saves about €300-€400, which are better spent buying more books.

johnrogers wrote:One question - how do you fit it in your suitcase when you travel :lol:

Ah, but John, packing books for a trip is part of the fun! Which to take, which to leave, how many to take, etc. The anticipation alone is worth it :-).

PS: I'll take a picture of just the right part soon.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby SOELEY » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:42 am

That is fantastic, it look really good. 8)

If we had the right house for it and the room of course, i would love to have some proper book shleves with editions of books in matching binnding, like the ones you see in stately homes.

You never know, if my Lottery numbers come up?
SOELEY

Currently Reading: Shock Wave - Clive Cussler

Postby Matbow » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I just upgraded to the "Kindle Paperlight" (from the "Kindle Keyboard").

There was nothing wrong with my old one but I played with the Paperlight over the holidays and I loved the backlight feature (I read a lot in bed) and the fact that it's much smaller with a less bulky cover is also good as I bring my kindle with me almost everywhere.

It's got a really nice feature as well that tells you how long (time wise) you have left to read in the book based on how quick you read!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Doesn't the backlight strain your eyes after a while?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 am

Nefer wrote:Doesn't the backlight strain your eyes after a while?

I was wondering that as well, because I've also been looking at the Paperlight.

Interesting to see my posts above by the way. I bought an e-reader about a year ago and now I can't live without it :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Nefer wrote:Doesn't the backlight strain your eyes after a while?

I'll report back after more testing, but not that I can see so far. That being said, I do spend 8+ hours a day staring at a computer so my eyes are probably used to being strained!

Also - the backlight is adjustable in it's brightness and it's actually more of a glow than a light.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby johnrogers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 pm

The New Kindle Paperwhite-Backlit-Touchscreen
I would love to get one of these,but I do not need one,the model of Kindle I have is the keyboard model the same item Matbow has.I also have a kindle leather case with a built in light.I tried to purchase a new Kindle Paperwhite at Christmas time,as a present for someone,it was not available in Canada at that time so I had to purchase last generation model,which is perfect anyway.Along with this purchase as well I purchased a leather case with built in light and I will say I was impressed with the leather case which sells for about $60.00 but worth it,custom built for the ereader.
The old generation kindles are perfect,I would say the new Paperwhite model would be even better,sharper contrast,brighter,more pixelation,etc.
Why I think the Kindle is the best ereader out there is the device itself,but even more the network it is attached to which is Amazon.Amazon to me is like Apple and Microsoft,they are the Big Boys is the eworld.As well I would never doubt there product.As far as there backlighting,I am certain it is beyond perfection with consumer satisfaction thought well into there backlit feature.

Ehoog for god sake buy one of these things,I am sure it blow your mind to own one.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:16 am

johnrogers wrote:Ehoog for god sake buy one of these things,I am sure it blow your mind to own one.

I already have an iRiver Story HD, which has a higher resolution screen than the former generation Kindles. That's why I went for the iRiver a year ago. I'm looking at the Paperwhite just for the backlight and hopefully better software. It has the same high resolution as my iRiver. But it doesn't support the epub file-format and I don't want to convert all my current files to the Kindle format. That's why I'll probably end up buying the Kobo Glo http://www.kobo.com/koboglo/techspecs/
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 am

Wow, I am very glad that I postponed buying the Kobo Glo. They announced this baby yesterday:

http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/introducing-k ... e-imagined

Without a doubt this will be my new e-reader :). I'm in San Francisco in June, so I'll probably pick it up there. It's much cheaper in dollars than it will be in pounds: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... bo-1144697 . In fact, buying it in the states is about as expensive as buying the Kobo Glo now here in the Netherlands. Of course, the Glo will also be cheaper in the states, but hey, I have to make some argument for buying this new shiny thing right?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:25 am

E-Hoog wrote:Wow, I am very glad that I postponed buying the Kobo Glo. They announced this baby yesterday:

http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/introducing-k ... e-imagined

Without a doubt this will be my new e-reader :). I'm in San Francisco in June, so I'll probably pick it up there. It's much cheaper in dollars than it will be in pounds: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-co ... bo-1144697 . In fact, buying it in the states is about as expensive as buying the Kobo Glo now here in the Netherlands. Of course, the Glo will also be cheaper in the states, but hey, I have to make some argument for buying this new shiny thing right?

Funny you posted this,yesterday I came across the new High Definition model coming out with KOBO,it looks very good and claims to outperform the new KINDLE Paperwhite.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion Forum