Price of Books at Chapters Compared to Online Price - REVISI

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Price of Books at Chapters Compared to Online Price - REVISI

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Very,very interesting.Just got back from a trip to Victoria BC and stopped in to a Chapters Bookstore.Was looking at the price of Conn Igglidons Conqueror Series about Gengius Khan.Three books in the series at the bookstore they were priced at about $18.00 per book,canadian ( which I thought was pretty expensive ) Howerver just got home and went online to see how much they were and they averaged about $9.00 per book delivered to your front door as long as your minimum purchase is $39.00 - Quite a price difference between store and online purchase for the same paperback novel.The other thing I noticed today was the price of books online vary week to week,the same as the retail outlet.For example 3 books I was looking at online last week are $3.75 more this week,so that is something to contemplate,the Internet shopping experience is based on the same premisus as retail store shopping.And of course the internet eshop as sales on at certain times.Very interesting - I like shopping online a lot - but keep your eyes peeled for when you do find that incredible bargain that is what the internet is famous for,and why we all like it so much.
Last edited by johnrogers on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Price of Books at Chapters Compared to Online Price

Postby Nefer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Yeah! That really pisses me off! I'm the kind of person who likes to walk into a bookstore and buy a book - not go online and find one. Really annoying. Plus HST and all - makes my hobby more expensive than it used to be.

Nowadays I only buy books instore when I know I'll be purchasing less than $39. Sad, very sad.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:08 am

These things are indeed strange. Here in the Netherlands, for example, you can buy a book online at http://www.bol.com or on the German equivalent http://www.bol.de. Most of the time, the German site is at least 30% cheaper. Madness really.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 pm

By no means am I an overley thrifty person but I do not like getting gouged.As well I do not mean to start a rucus or am putting down Chapters.Chapters bookstores are the mega chain of bookstores in Canada,they are beautiful and large stores,more like a warehouse,but decorated in beautiful decor,and usually have a built in Starbucks in the store as well.They are usually crowded with booklovers and it is a joy to roam the Isles,and check out there books.When I was in the store they had a beautiful dispaly of The Conqueror Series.The prices seemed very,very,high but I figured out why.Being that there is a new release of Conns new book Empire of Silver,and I am sure the interest level is at its peak - they marked up the prices of his series as a marketing ploy.Thats ok - thats the way things work.However the very same Conn Iggulden paperback Conqueror series were priced at Chapters $17.44 instore - $9.49 Chapters online ( same book ) - and $6.72 ebook at amazon.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Whilst infuriating, it is understandable why book store books are more expense. Put simply - a store costs more to run and that cost will be allocated to each book. A store will have to pay rent, wages and all the other overheads from owning a physical property, whereas an online store will only have to pay for the website/associated IT costs, the warehouse and will have a lot less staffing requirements.

As for why Chapters online Versus a physical chapters costs less - (assuming they operate in the same way as some companies I am familiar with) these two elements of the same company will be treated as separate entities for accounting purposes and will essentially treated as different businesses (with different costs) hence why they charge difference prices.

I would love to see the profit margins of Chapters online business versus Chapters physical store business... I imagine they may be similar or even the physical store makes less...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Matbow wrote:Whilst infuriating, it is understandable why book store books are more expense. Put simply - a store costs more to run and that cost will be allocated to each book. A store will have to pay rent, wages and all the other overheads from owning a physical property, whereas an online store will only have to pay for the website/associated IT costs, the warehouse and will have a lot less staffing requirements.

As for why Chapters online Versus a physical chapters costs less - (assuming they operate in the same way as some companies I am familiar with) these two elements of the same company will be treated as separate entities for accounting purposes and will essentially treated as different businesses (with different costs) hence why they charge difference prices.

I would love to see the profit margins of Chapters online business versus Chapters physical store business... I imagine they may be similar or even the physical store makes less...
Yes,Matbow I totally agree with your viewpoint,and agree the profit margins between store and online are virtually the same.The cost of doing business is huge.One thing I will say is there retail stores are things of beauty,architecture is beautiful,and instore mechandiseing displays are more like hollywood movie sets.By the way I did make a purchase while I was there - The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson - I read the first one The Girl with The Golden Tattoo and enjoyed it a lot
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to General Discussion Forum