Interesting How Authors Market and Sell There Books

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Interesting How Authors Market and Sell There Books

Postby johnrogers » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I spend a little time on a regular basis searching Amazon.com for books bargains I tend to have a good eye for a good deal since I spend so much time researching things on the internet.I also own a Kindle ereader.About a month or two ago I found an incredible book deal on a novel called Alone written by Lisa Gardner who has written many novels the book was offered for 99 cents well I could not pass up the deal so I downloaded it on to my kindle.Lisa Gardners book at 99 cents remained on Amazons website as the number #1 bestseller for a month or so.So if you are searching books on amazon the first thing you see when you log on is her novel Alone on the top of the charts.Which of course gives the author great exposure to millions of people.The next thing I noticed was after about a month the book went from 99 cents to 2.99 and stayed at 2.99 for a few more weeks.Today I noticed the book is priced back up to the regular price of $7.99.

The point is this for the sake of exposure and good business skills the author discounted the price of her book almost down to nothing which brought her thousands of new readers and generated a new fan base.Once this was accomplished the author priced her book at regular price.A great business move I admit.One author who does not do that is Wilbur Smith I think he should just for the sake of exposure a lot of readers do not even know of his exsistance and it would be nice for them to discover his writings. :D

SPECIAL NOTE - The novel Alone on Amazons website has changed prices three times today ( whats with that :-k )03/03/2011
Last edited by johnrogers on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Interesting How Authors Market and Sell There Books

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I think WS is at the point (probably long past) where if he would lower the price of his new novel significantly, he would actually make less money in the long run, what with all his fans buying at the cheap prices. They would've paid the premium for the first edition hardcover. WS probably doesn't care about the money anymore, but his publishers do of course :-).

Personally, I'm still on the never ending crusade to convert everybody I meet to WS :-).
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:11 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I think WS is at the point (probably long past) where if he would lower the price of his new novel significantly, he would actually make less money in the long run, what with all his fans buying at the cheap prices. They would've paid the premium for the first edition hardcover. WS probably doesn't care about the money anymore, but his publishers do of course :-).

Personally, I'm still on the never ending crusade to convert everybody I meet to WS :-).

Hi E- Hoog - I agree with you that Wilbur will never discount his books and I know he does not need the cash.But Wilbur Smith should have exposure to the generation coming up - Smith published his first book in 1964 - I discovered him for the first time in about 2007 and up to that point I never knew he exsisted.

There are many book readers who would revel to read his books but if they do not know he exsists they will never discover him.Exposure is exactly what I say go to Amazon.com and chech out kindle ebooks - the first book you see is Lisa Gardeners book Alone which is about a ten year old book - Look at the amount of new readers she has exposed herself to - millions E- Hoog - You get my point I want more people to discover Wilbur Smith the same as you :-k =D>
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 pm

I don't think WS has to discount his books - the retailers here (in OZ) do it for him. Bookshop retailers here sell (or try to sell)his new books for the recommended retail price - whereas the super stores next door have it reduced by 50% or more - and that's on Day One. Incidentally Bryce Courtenay, who lives in Australia, has been pushing for lower priced books for years and it seems he might be winning his way. However, it has its downside - our biggest new book outlet with branches all over the country has very recently gone to the wall and is in the hands of administrators/receivers. The problem is that bookshops are expected to carry all books no matter what subject and how slow-moving they are, whereas the super stores just select the big sellers, like WS, and don't worry about the low-demand books. That's really unfair trading to my mind but I still benefit from the lower-priced stores.
Twas ever thus!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby tedd » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:06 am

Have just received NET notification that WS's new book is priced at $49.99 (recommended retail price) but being offered for delivery next month for $32.95
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

tedd wrote:Have just received NET notification that WS's new book is priced at $49.99 (recommended retail price) but being offered for delivery next month for $32.95

Hi Tedd

This is what I have discovered ( very intresting )
Price of Those in Peril

Amazon.com (hardcover) $16.83 (kindle) $9.99
Amazon.ca (hardcover) $34.99
Chapters ing (hardcover) $23.31

As well all have different release dates and you are correct our local superstore I am sure will have the hardcover edition on there shelves on the day of release at a discounted price and I am sure my local bookstore in Comox BC will have the book on the shelves at the regular price

[b7] My point about exposure for Wilbur is for him to introduce himself to the next generation of readers - many readers will by pass Wilbur over there lifetime because they do not know of his exsistance

john
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to General Discussion Forum