Nice Looking Forum

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Nice Looking Forum

Postby johnrogers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi Matt and Nefer

Very very nice I am so happy to see the new format on your website and it is nice to see you are back as a link on the actual wilbur smith site as well.Your new redesigned site is very refreshing look and very easy on the eyes to look at.Not only congratulations but thank you so much for keeping the forum going I enjoy it very much.Well good luck and as you know anything I can do to help or contribute to please let me know.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Nice Looking Forum

Postby Matbow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks John.

The forum style may change a little bit in the next week, but it will probably stay a bit simpler than what was here before. Less to go wrong that way!

FYI - the reason you (and everyone else) couldn't get into the forum yesterday was because my hosting company disabled the site. Apparently the email I sent to all the forum members telling them the site was back up and running actually went to over 50,000 people and killed their server. They thought someone had hacked the forum and was sending spam from their server. Oops.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 pm

:lol:

Wow - I wish all those people actually participated on the site!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Nefer wrote::lol:

Wow - I wish all those people actually participated on the site!

Yeah me to I am disappointed sometimes on the lack of response or new posts in the forum - I know I have posted a lot of really discussion worthy posts but I never hear back from anyone with the exception of a few people
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:26 am

Hi guys (and girl),

Good to see the site is back. I was also worried for a bit there. Nice work on the new site :). Those 50.000 members probably include a lot of fake accounts that were created to post all the spam posts. I mean, look at all the birthdays :wink:.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, but soon you'll see why. I have built a massive bookcase/tv furniture/shelves-sort of thing. Got a bit out of hand :wink:. It now occupies one wall of my living room. I'll post pictures soon.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:05 pm

E-Hoog wrote:Hi guys (and girl),

Good to see the site is back. I was also worried for a bit there. Nice work on the new site :). Those 50.000 members probably include a lot of fake accounts that were created to post all the spam posts. I mean, look at all the birthdays :wink:.

I've been a bit out of touch lately, but soon you'll see why. I have built a massive bookcase/tv furniture/shelves-sort of thing. Got a bit out of hand :wink:. It now occupies one wall of my living room. I'll post pictures soon.

Looking forward to seeing your "piece de la resistance" - or maybe your "labour of love" 8-[
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

E-Hoog wrote:Good to see the site is back. I was also worried for a bit there. Nice work on the new site :). Those 50.000 members probably include a lot of fake accounts that were created to post all the spam posts. I mean, look at all the birthdays :wink:.

I have deleted about 48,000 members over the past week; if you check out the birthday section there are now only a few a day :)

I have also implemented a Q&A captcha system to stop bots registering; new members must now answer a simple Wilbur Smith question to be allowed to join. Any spam posts that you see now will be from pre-registered spam bots who I haven't deleted (as I couldn't be 100% sure they were bots)...

I think we're on the right track now...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Glad to hear it Matt! Good work :-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith