E-BOOK VS PAPER BOOK?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Re: E-BOOK VS PAPER BOOK?

Postby chookie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Morning all,

I hear what everybody is saying about Ebooks V books.

I dont have any problems with new technoligy at all.

The preferance between the two is up to the individual isnt it I believe so.

I am avid reader and have been for quiet some time but I prefer the good old paperback.

Good luck with the Ebooks that has attracted everybody.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby johnrogers » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 am

chookie wrote:Morning all,

I hear what everybody is saying about Ebooks V books.

I dont have any problems with new technoligy at all.

The preferance between the two is up to the individual isnt it I believe so.

I am avid reader and have been for quiet some time but I prefer the good old paperback.

Good luck with the Ebooks that has attracted everybody.

Regards.

Hi Chookie

I agree with you,I am just an avid reader as you are,and the difference between Ebook and paperback is zero,it is about reading and the enjoyment of reading a book,and it is about your comfort zone and what makes you happy.As Bayside mentioned in his original post it is hard to break tradition and let's be honest the world changes on a daily basis and it is hard to keep up with all the technology trends that are thrown at us on a daily basis.Enjoy your books Chookie.

Regards :)
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby jeffw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

tedd wrote:I cannot imagine a world without books but I can see where it's going - if you just read books and discard them then the ebook is for you.
Our member jeffw publishes his own books and much as I would love to read them I am not at this stage of my life intending to purchase the required equipment. When I buy a book it is with the intention of also collecting it so I only get hardbacks. I do read plenty of other non-collectable novels etc but borrow them from libraries so am not overburdened

Hi Tedd - been quiet for a while, finishing off Sons of Africa. Should be available on Amazon Kindle end of next week or following week at the latest. Re the required equipment, won't cost you a penny. Click on the link below and download a free Kindle App for your computer. Loads of free books (old classics) and Wilbur's are on there as well. Let me know if you have difficulty in sorting this out. Keep going old timer. Sit in the garden with a G&T and remember the Sabi Valley.Watch out for the lions hiding in your rhubarb!
Best regards Jeff Whittam
[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000425503/[url]
jeffw

Postby bayside » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 am

KINDLE BOOKS TO PC

Yesterday I went into Amazon and downloaded their free program to allow me to read e-books on my PC. It came up as an icon on my screen, but, being skittish, and distrustful of all things electronic, I waited till my wife got home from a trip this morning and talked it over with her.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle, but just haven't gotten around to it -- even though I've been wanting to read Jeff's book, Sons of Africa. So, to end this story: I just downloaded his book on my PC, paid their $7.00 fee with a credit card and now have his book captured electronically -- all ready to be read this evening when all my unimportant things are finished.

Hopefully, some of you have accessed my website, outskirtspress.com/enemiesoftheirownblood, and found an interest. The kindle version of the book will be out soon.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 am

Before you make a new purchase of a new kindle - make note - amazon has a new version of there kindle ereader available for delivery I think November 21st - they are taking preorders now and I sincerely recommend go to there website and place your order today - the one you want to buy is the ebook with wi fi and 3g - it is there most expensive model at a price of 149.00 (canadian) but worth it for the extra few dollars.

If you need to know anything more or have any kindle questions don't hesitate to ask.

[b7] bayside would you please post your website address for the forum
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi Bayside and fellow Kindler! (well done John for badgering him towards electronic reading) Have indeed looked at your book excerpts - share your interest in old guns as you will find out with Sons of Africa. Watching for your Ebook. Again, welcome to the club! :D
jeffw

Postby bayside » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm

In answer to John's request:

outskirtspress.com/enemiesofthreirownblood

I know it's a long son-of-a-gun, but if you punch it into google you'll find the site.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:31 am

Ok you bastards, you got me :). I just bought an ereader.

I still maintain real books are the best, but I will be travelling a lot in the coming years and I recently saw the iRiver Story HD and it looks truly amazing with its HD screen. And I really want to read Sons of Africa :).

So I caved and ordered the iRiver. But now I find all of a sudden (it was a bit of a 'ah, what the hell', spur of the moment, purchase to be honest) that there are a lot of ebook formats out there. So straight off the bat I have a question to all e-reader fanat... er, aficionados :wink: out there: what format ebook do you buy from amazon? Azw? Or can you choose?

Also, Jeff, do you know why I have to purchase your book at amazon.com and not amazon.co.uk as a Dutch resident?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 am

Hi EHoog

I notice that amazon.com has a new kindle available in November - I would buy the amazon touch at a cost of $189.00 - there is a version of the touch for $149.00 but I think that means amazon sends you ads all the time - since you travel a lot get the amazon with wi fi and 3g - go and check out the new ebooks at www.amazon.com

Good god ya all - you dutch are so stong willed ( har har ) welcome to the club you will never regret owning an ebook - just so convenient - yesterday I finisished Tai - Pan,went to amazon right afterwords and downloaded a Deon Meyer novel ( convenient or what )
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 am

E-Hoog wrote:...

Ok you bastards, you got me :). I just bought an ereader.

I still maintain real books are the best, but I will be travelling a lot in the coming years and I recently saw the iRiver Story HD and it looks truly amazing with its HD screen. And I really want to read Sons of Africa :).

So I caved and ordered the iRiver. But now I find all of a sudden (it was a bit of a 'ah, what the hell', spur of the moment, purchase to be honest) that there are a lot of ebook formats out there. So straight off the bat I have a question to all e-reader fanat... er, aficionados :wink: out there: what format ebook do you buy from amazon? Azw? Or can you choose?

Also, Jeff, do you know why I have to purchase your book at amazon.com and not amazon.co.uk as a Dutch resident?

I think the Iriver is integrated with Google books so you should be able to purchase straight from your device in the same way you can purchase books from amazon on a kindle. I do not think you can easily buy books on Amazon and transfer them to a device other than a Kindle...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:40 pm

johnrogers wrote:Hi EHoog

I notice that amazon.com has a new kindle available in November - I would buy the amazon touch at a cost of $189.00 - there is a version of the touch for $149.00 but I think that means amazon sends you ads all the time - since you travel a lot get the amazon with wi fi and 3g - go and check out the new ebooks at http://www.amazon.com

Good god ya all - you dutch are so stong willed ( har har ) welcome to the club you will never regret owning an ebook - just so convenient - yesterday I finisished Tai - Pan,went to amazon right afterwords and downloaded a Deon Meyer novel ( convenient or what )

I didn't go for the kindle because of the higher screen resolution of the iRiver and I read somewhere that PDFs are better supported on the iRiver. Also, apparently there will be custom software out for it soon. The hardware is brilliant, but the software is kind of crappy. Also, I really don't care for wifi, 3g, touch etc. I already have enough Apple products for that :wink:. Also, the kindle is a lot more expensive to buy here (more expensive than the prices you mentioned, not more expensive than the iRiver). We're always screwed in Europe. For example, the ipod touch 4g 64GB is $399 across the pond and €399 here. Same for pretty much everything :-(. The iRiver is also cheaper in the US.

@Matbow: you can indeed get books from the google library on it. Also, I have a lot of PDF papers to read from day to day, and that is supposed to be very good on the iRiver (especially because of the high resolution screen). And apparently there is software to convert azw files to epub files. There are converters out there that convert between all ebook formats. I'll try that soon.

If you buy an ebook, do you get the file from amazon, or does it download straight to the device? I mean, if I buy a book, I'll need the file to convert it to the iRiver. Oh well, if that doesn't work, I can always read Jeffs book on my pc, altough I'd rather get it on the iRiver :-).

PS: John, Tai Pan any good?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm

E-Hoog wrote:If you buy an ebook, do you get the file from amazon, or does it download straight to the device? I mean, if I buy a book, I'll need the file to convert it to the iRiver. Oh well, if that doesn't work, I can always read Jeffs book on my pc, altough I'd rather get it on the iRiver :-).

Yes - you can choose to download the book to your pc when you buy it, rather than it go straight to the Kindle.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Hi EHoog

I notice that amazon.com has a new kindle available in November - I would buy the amazon touch at a cost of $189.00 - there is a version of the touch for $149.00 but I think that means amazon sends you ads all the time - since you travel a lot get the amazon with wi fi and 3g - go and check out the new ebooks at http://www.amazon.com

I didn't go for the kindle because of the higher screen resolution of the iRiver and I read somewhere that PDFs are better supported on the iRiver. Also, apparently there will be custom software out for it soon. The hardware is brilliant, but the software is kind of crappy. Also, I really don't care for wifi, 3g, touch etc. I already have enough Apple products for that :wink:. Also, the kindle is a lot more expensive to buy here (more expensive than the prices you mentioned, not more expensive than the iRiver). We're always screwed in Europe. For example, the ipod touch 4g 64GB is $399 across the pond and €399 here. Same for pretty much everything :-(. The iRiver is also cheaper in the US.

@Matbow: you can indeed get books from the google library on it. Also, I have a lot of PDF papers to read from day to day, and that is supposed to be very good on the iRiver (especially because of the high resolution screen). And apparently there is software to convert azw files to epub files. There are converters out there that convert between all ebook formats. I'll try that soon.

If you buy an ebook, do you get the file from amazon, or does it download straight to the device? I mean, if I buy a book, I'll need the file to convert it to the iRiver. Oh well, if that doesn't work, I can always read Jeffs book on my pc, altough I'd rather get it on the iRiver :-).

PS: John, Tai Pan any good?

I am glad you asked EHoog - Tai - pan was one of the very best books I have ever read - however it was missing that one key element that we discussed was missing in Shogun - I am on to read Gai - pai as soon as I am finished my Deon Meyer book - the reviews I read about Gai - Pai are not very encouraging but I do plan to read all the James Clavell Asia series in order

Tai - Pan - 5 star all the way
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:37 am

Hi E-Hoog, re the Amazon query - only people living in the UK can use Amazon.co.uk, outside of that, Amazon.com covers America and at the moment, rest of the world apart from Germany,France, at the mo.but this is changing rapidly. Amazon will eventually cover the whole of Europe etc.. Germany and France have their own Amazon sites.
Best regards and good luck with your e-reading.
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 am

Hi all,

@Matt: thanks, that's what I'll try then :-).
@John: good to know. I will definitely read it, but I will first read something like Iggulden to get my action-fix :wink:. And I ordered Those in Peril from thebookdepository. Still waiting on that as well. Happy further reading with Clavell. I also plan to read them in order.
@Jeff: That explains it :-). Still a bit strange, because I can order anything else (i.e. non-digital) from .co.uk. But now I can at least buy and read your novel. The reviews seem to be very good (I saw a familiar name between them :wink:)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Hoogy (easier than E-hoog), sounds friendlier too. Need ever review I can get. :lol:
You take care.
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:51 pm

jeffw wrote:Hi Hoogy (easier than E-hoog), sounds friendlier too. Need ever review I can get. :lol:
You take care.

Lol. You can also call me Tom, which is even easier :wink:. I'll write a review for you when I've finished the book.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 am

Tom's cool, 8) as my lads would say. Hope the read brings much pleasure, does it for me and I wrote the damn thing. Guess I spent too much time in the sun, or as my old man used to say; "It's Africa that does it!"
Have a great day. :D
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've managed to get it on my iRiver. If anybody ever runs into the same problem (having a different ereader than the Kindle), here's what you do:

1. Buy the book from amazon and download it to cloudreader or whatever (possibly, it is easier to do steps 2 and 3 first and then it might see you Kindle for PC application, but I did it in this order).
2. Install Kindle for PC: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 1000426311
3. Open Kindle for PC, register it with you amazon account, and download the book to your PC.
4. Find your book location on your PC. (On my PC it was: D:\Documents\My Kindle Content)
5. Somehow, it screws up the name of the book. For instance, Sons of Africa was suddenly B005FZ06FY_EBOK.azw. So just look at the date/time the file was created should give you a clue.
6. Copy the book out of the folder and dump it somewhere else and rename it to whatever you want.
7. Then follow these steps: http://www.ebook-converter.com/69-how-t ... format.htm (I don't know about the DRM removal, because that was unnecessary in my case)
8. done :)

So, happy reading to me :-).
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion Forum