johnrogers - Birthday Dinner Menu

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

johnrogers - Birthday Dinner Menu

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

JR's Birthday Dinner

September 21,2011

Smoked BC Wild Salmon
Baked Natural Pastures Camembert on Organic Rice Crouton

Watrin Farm Teacup Squash Soup
Fresh Watrin Apple and Curried Organic Yogurt

Local Tomato Salad
Natural Pastures Boccoccini,Olive Oil,Fresh Basil and V.I. Sea Salt

Handmade BC Potato Chip Crusted Halibut
Kye Bay Tartar

Organic Sticky Date Pudding
Warm Caramel,Almond Praline
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: johnrogers - Birthday Dinner Menu

Postby Matbow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Happy birthday?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Come on over Matbow - got a ton of halibut and we are just cooking it up - just wait til you get in to the tomato salad - you want to go home believe me

Thanks Matbow
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:28 pm

HB John! Sounds like a feast at your place :]
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Nefer

Thank you as well - get over here you are more than welcome,at my age I need a friend to help me blow out the birthday candels - (har har) - you could not believe the halibut tonight Nefer - the tomato salad would open the gates to heaven - the desert would make Wilbur Smith write a conclusion to the Egyptian series (har har) - take care Nefer
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:47 am

Happy Birthday John! Like the menu - put some in a bag and post it over here. :lol:
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 am

Hi Jeff

Got the air mail package all wrapped up and will send it out tomorrow - what a terrific birthday for me - my two little grandsons Leo (6 years old) Van were here celebrating the Mick Jagger style vancouver island birthday celebration - totally cool to hear from you - will not sleep well thinking about your new release coming out soon.My wife Kelly and I are watching our fave tv series - Sons Of Anarchy - Kelly my wife has to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow in the emergency dept at St Josephs hospital so will call it a day very soon.

Take Care

#1 fan
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 am

Hi John,

Except for the dessert, you seem to have had a nice birthday dinner :-). Happy Birthday!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks E-Hoog I am so fortunate to have my family looking after me.Kira and Eli (daughter and son in law)are very gifted cooks,and I did not mention in my post that all these dishes they made up were paired with wines specific to the dish they were serving.The hightlight to the birthday celebration was having my two grandsons here with me Leo whom is 6 yrs old and of course my little buddy Van whom 1 and a half years old.
There is a post of mine on page 2 or 3 in the Conn Iggulden thread - if you have not read it please do it is directed at you.The other thing that you must do is get your hands on Jeffrey Whittams new novel Sons Of Africa - I swear you will think you are reading a new release by Wilbur Smith.

Thanks for the post E-Hoog

Take Care
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:35 pm

How about some recipes? You're making me super hungry!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Nefer

I will explain this in a way so you can relate more to my post

Kira and Eli (daughter and son in law) lived in Tofino for quite a few years.Eli was the manager of the Wickinish Inn for a term as well.So you can see the influence passed on by being surrounded by the culinary delights offered at the Wick ( I am sure you are aware of the Wickinnish Inn in Tofino and its reputation).As well Kira and Eli are the producers and founders of a huge world class event known as The Tofino Food and Wine Festival ( you should attend it next June in Tofino and I can hook you up with some perks) www.tofinofoodandwine festival.com - The thing is Kira and Eli are foodies 100% - Tofino is tourism but there focus is food and wine - a first class resort town for those whom want to escape for a weekend - Eli has a cooking skill that is beyond belief - in fact I am still reeling from the extravaganza they did last night what a great thing that someone would actually go out of there way to do that for you.All ingredients either come from there herb/vegtable garden,or from the local farms,or from the market that is a saturday event in Courtenay.

As well Elis brother owns a resturant in Tofino so the cooking element runs deep in there dna.Next time I see Eli I will get him to give me this to die for tomato salad recipe,and his squash soup was my god indescribeable - Yes Nefer the dinner was spectacular - but my two grandsons were the cherry on top ( har har)

Take Care
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:29 am

johnrogers wrote:Thanks E-Hoog I am so fortunate to have my family looking after me.Kira and Eli (daughter and son in law)are very gifted cooks,and I did not mention in my post that all these dishes they made up were paired with wines specific to the dish they were serving.The hightlight to the birthday celebration was having my two grandsons here with me Leo whom is 6 yrs old and of course my little buddy Van whom 1 and a half years old.
There is a post of mine on page 2 or 3 in the Conn Iggulden thread - if you have not read it please do it is directed at you.The other thing that you must do is get your hands on Jeffrey Whittams new novel Sons Of Africa - I swear you will think you are reading a new release by Wilbur Smith.

Take Care

Hi John,

I will respond to it. Sometimes I forget :? . It's good to have such a nice family taking care of you on your birthday! That must have been a very special moment :-).

I will read Sons of Africa, but I'm still waiting on the hardcopy :-).
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Wow, you have a really accomplished family! I've been to the Island a few times but never made it out past Victoria, lol. The Wick Inn gets recommended a lot whenever I ask around for nice places on the Island so maybe I should head out there :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Nefer
I don,t want to flog my birthday dinner menu thread to death but I must translate this story to you regarding The Wickaninnsh Inn in Tofino - ( expensive beyond my ability ) - but it goes like this the Wick caters to the rich and famous,movie stars,pro sports people,etc etc.

For an extended time my son in law Eli worked as a waiter in the Wicks main dining room - the home of the $1200.00 dinner menu - Eli had a group of CEOs from Albertas oil boom town as guests and he was serving there table - Eli is quite the likeable fellow when he wants to turn the charm on which he was doing at his table of 6 from Alberta - there dinner bill came to $5200.00 - take a guess how much they tipped out Eli after the dinner - take a guess -
Spoiler:
$2000.00 plus $500.00 for the i am a spammer staff
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 pm

johnrogers wrote:$2000.00 plus $500.00 for the i am a spammer staff

:shock: :shock:

Wow, just WOW.

Maybe the Wick will be my once in a lifetime ever vacation spot! When people told me it was a lovely spot I had no idea they were telling a teacher about this super expensive resort! Mind you, its teachers who are telling me about this place so I'm wondering where they're getting their extra money from!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:27 pm

johnrogers wrote:Thanks E-Hoog I am so fortunate to have my family looking after me.Kira and Eli (daughter and son in law)are very gifted cooks,and I did not mention in my post that all these dishes they made up were paired with wines specific to the dish they were serving.The hightlight to the birthday celebration was having my two grandsons here with me Leo whom is 6 yrs old and of course my little buddy Van whom 1 and a half years old.

Take Care

Your birthday dinner sounds delicious!

I tried to find that book you mentioned. Jeffrey Whittam does not have an "s" on the end of his name. I looked on Amazon and they have a kindle book. I don't have a kindle although my husband is talking it up. I can't find the book at either of the county libraries here in the Cincinnati OH area. The one library is rather small but the one in Cincinnati is very large and well stocked. I was wondering if it hasn't been released in book form in the states.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

annagram wrote:

Take Care

Your birthday dinner sounds delicious!

I tried to find that book you mentioned. Jeffrey Whittam does not have an "s" on the end of his name. I looked on Amazon and they have a kindle book. I don't have a kindle although my husband is talking it up. I can't find the book at either of the county libraries here in the Cincinnati OH area. The one library is rather small but the one in Cincinnati is very large and well stocked. I was wondering if it hasn't been released in book form in the states.

Sons Of Africa at this point in time is only available as an ebook thru amazon.com - so unfortunetly you need a kindle ereader - according to Jeff the book eventually will be published as a hardcover or paperback - I am not sure - you should send a post to Jeff on his Sons Of Africa thread in this forum - he will answer your post
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:43 pm

I have downloaded the Kindle programme (as advised by Jeff) onto my computer for free and am reading Sons of Africa. I'm not keen on sitting reading a book on the computer but was not interested in purchasing a unit at this time - am enjoying the book but am getting through it slowly (because, as stated, I don't like spending time in front of the computer) - the story line is original and holding my interest. I'll contact Jeff direct when I've finished it.
So if you want a free trial of Kindle download it as I did.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:04 am

Hi Ted - thought you'd legged it back to Mahenya! Was thinking about the rapids above there; what an awesome place - really gave me a sense of pre-history, swear there were dinosaurs lurking! Do you remember the silence? Total.
ps sorry you have to suffer my book on the computer screen - compliment your book collection and buy yourself a Kindle, you will adapt and enjoy both worlds.
Would love to read your memories of Sabi/Lundi junction and the steady but rugged drop from above the rapids.
You take care and write soon.
jeffw

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:05 am

tedd wrote:I have downloaded the Kindle programme (as advised by Jeff) onto my computer for free and am reading Sons of Africa. I'm not keen on sitting reading a book on the computer but was not interested in purchasing a unit at this time - am enjoying the book but am getting through it slowly (because, as stated, I don't like spending time in front of the computer) - the story line is original and holding my interest. I'll contact Jeff direct when I've finished it.
So if you want a free trial of Kindle download it as I did.

Thanks for the info - I don't like sitting here reading either so maybe I will just wait a while.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum