travel

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

travel

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Does anyone like to travel and if so where have you been?
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Re: travel

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I have been to most of the Caribbean countries and travelled in Mexico quite a bit.By far the wildest place I have ever been is JAMAICA one of the most dangerous places on the planet earth but if you travel in groups and don,t go off the beaten path you are safe.

The most incredible experience I ever had was in CANCUN Mexico - my wife and I survived hurricaine Wilma which happened about one month after hurricaine Katrina in New Orleans - we escaped Cancun thru the Yucitan jungle on a trek to the town of Merida - Mexico is dangerous beyond belief and no one knows the meaning of a hurricaine unless you have been in one.

I love the Caribbean islands - the weather and the lifesyle of the islands is so damn nice.As well I have been fortunate most of my excursions have been spent at 5 star resorts - oh my gosh I have had a lot of fun in my life.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby jeffw » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 am

Hi John - and why not? Reckon you earned it - keep on going!! :D
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Jeff I will admit more or less I did not miss a day of work over the years - hard work pays off or so they say.

Must add to the story of escaping Cancun after 6 days of being shuffled around government shelters during the wrath of hurricaine Wilma - Kelly (my wife) and I were desparate to get out of Cancun - 50000 tourists stranded from all over the world - no transportation to get out - we were desparate - got lucky and hopped a bus supplied by the american government that transported people to another city about 400 miles away where the airport was up and running - about 1/2 way between Cancun and Merida we stopped at a small town at about 3 am in the morning - odd the town was going strong at this time in the morning,resturants and taco stands still selling food etc - Kelly went to use the washroom at this service station where the bus fueled up - she came out of the bathroom and pulls me to the side and says look what I found - in her hand was a wad of mexican pesos rolled up the size of a liter coca cola bottle - we asked the bus full of people if anyone had lost any money - no one claimed it and the bus driver told us to keep it - we cashed the pesos in when we got to Mexico City at the airport - the pesos were worth about $5000.00 Canadian - unbelievable eh !!!
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby chookie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:39 pm

I travel on a regular basis.

To the bank and back once a fortnight to get my pension out.

Good a.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:58 am

Hi Chookie - that cracked me up! :lol: :D
jeffw

Postby Matbow » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am

annagram wrote:Does anyone like to travel and if so where have you been?

I like to travel, but I find a vacation is neither long enough nor a good way to fully discover a destination. For that reason I find myself being in my late twenties living in my 3rd different country - I'm from the UK, I moved to Bermuda (18 months) and then to Boston, USA (2 years and counting). I'm finding living in the USA fascinating and I'm contemplating a move within the USA for my next 'adventure'...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:39 am

Mat - would love to live in the US - on my bucket list to do the Route 66 trip - big V8 gas-guzzler Pontiac Firebird. Do it while you can. Freedom doesn't last forever.
jeffw

Postby tedd » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Make sure you do as much of your travelling as possible while you are young enough to enjoy - to climb that mountain, swim that river, explore that cave, go where few have been before - too many times I have seen in my travels, old couples who have left their travelling until they retired and then have been unable to do anything without help from their wheelchairs and crutches - they could sightsee but couldn't be really enjoying and experiencing it - this was particularly so with the Yanks I found. Do it now!!! - and you'll have the memories for ever.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:07 am

Tedd - thought about doing a canoe trip down the Sabi? Mahenya to the Indian Ocean. Tell John he can come along if he does the cooking! :lol:
ps let me know if you guys are up for it and I'll start building. 8)
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:24 am

Would be more than happy to cook for you two on are African adventure - however you and Tedd have to clean up the i am a spammer if you want dessert :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:11 am

I've been mulling over your proposal Jeff!! What a grand idea - or should that be grandiose? I would have to impose some conditions though. My days of squatting in a canoe are long behind me, so I would need an armchair or even a recliner - make sure your canoe is large enough for that. John can come along but I would prefer fresh kudu livers and kidneys for breakfast and a guinea fowl stew or a bushbuck haunch (plugged with garlic) roasted on a spit over the campfire along with some sadza as a filler, for the evening meal. Choose the right time of the year and a tent is superfluous as long as we have mozzie nets. Meet you at Mahenya's
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:00 am

Hi Tedd - reckon you got it in one. Guess we're like a couple of sad dropouts from a WS novel; living in the past but what the heck. Question - did you ever hear of or come across another ruins complex, some 7 miles south east of Great Zimbabwe? Also; close to the Sabi/Lundi junction - a lost city - called 'The White City", wish I was still young enough to go after it. Frustrates the hell out of me, thank God I can at least write about it.
You take care and I'll phone John and tell him to brush up on his Kudu cooking!
jeffw

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 am

chookie wrote:I travel on a regular basis.

To the bank and back once a fortnight to get my pension out.

Good a.

Hey, chokie - you are lucky - I only get mine once a month :D
annagram

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 am

Matbow wrote:
annagram wrote:Does anyone like to travel and if so where have you been?

I like to travel, but I find a vacation is neither long enough nor a good way to fully discover a destination. For that reason I find myself being in my late twenties living in my 3rd different country - I'm from the UK, I moved to Bermuda (18 months) and then to Boston, USA (2 years and counting). I'm finding living in the USA fascinating and I'm contemplating a move within the USA for my next 'adventure'...

Try the midwest - I live in Ohio and midwesterners are great people!

You are right about travel only skimming the surface of a destination but it is fun.
annagram

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:50 am

jeffw wrote:Mat - would love to live in the US - on my bucket list to do the Route 66 trip - big V8 gas-guzzler Pontiac Firebird. Do it while you can. Freedom doesn't last forever.

My husband and I have done this years ago. It is a great trip. We just returned from a trip to Las Vegas where we spent two days, rented a car and drove to California to see the redwood trees once again - they are awesome!!! Then we drove down Highway 1 to Los Angeles, back to Las Vegas and home again. Highway 1 has to be one of the most beautiful drives in the country if not the world. Fantastic views of the Pacific Ocean.
annagram

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:53 am

tedd wrote:Make sure you do as much of your travelling as possible while you are young enough to enjoy - to climb that mountain, swim that river, explore that cave, go where few have been before - too many times I have seen in my travels, old couples who have left their travelling until they retired and then have been unable to do anything without help from their wheelchairs and crutches - they could sightsee but couldn't be really enjoying and experiencing it - this was particularly so with the Yanks I found. Do it now!!! - and you'll have the memories for ever.

You are right about not waiting to travel but maybe the elders you see are returning to see things they really enjoyed in the past. My husband and I and our kids traveled all 48 states in our RV back in the 60's and 70's and now my husband and I are going back to visit the places we enjoyed the most. Fortunately we are not yet in wheelchairs :D although I admit we are not able to do some of the hiking, etc. that we used to do but it is fun anyhow.
annagram

Postby annagram » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:58 am

My husband and I have traveled 48 states and large parts of Canada in our RV over the years. We cruised to Alaska and twice to Hawaii. Took two Mediterrannean cruises, a Baltic cruise and cruised the Chilean Fjords and around the cape to Argentina. Cruised the Carribbean and through the Panama Canal. Would love to go to Australia, New Zealand, Egypt and South Africa some day.

So interesting to read sbout all of your travels!
annagram

Postby tedd » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Yeah!!! The Lost City of Gonarezhou - supposed to be somewhere back of the Chilojo Cliffs on the Lundi - been looked for plenty of times - by land and air - but no success apparently - so at the moment I think it's just a myth!! But there must have been some basis for the start of the myth so maybe one day it will turn up - good subject for a book??
Incidentally I forgot to mention that we'll need some biltong for the trip - preferably eland. Reminds me of my visit to an elderly Afrikaans property near Chipinga. I got there early in the a.m. on horseback - he invited me to breakfast - lived alone in a rondavel - old iron stove against the wall - he dragged down the end of a sausage of driewurst from the rafters cut a length off and threw it on the stove with some eggs and bread slices. We sat on the stoep each side of the door enjoying our meal when I noticed a hole in the mud floor just inside the door from which a stream of huge black ants were emerging and marching in a column across the stoep into the bush (bundu to you) I felt a bit uncomfortable sitting close to their trail and edged away keeping a wary eye on them. He noticed my discomfiture and eventually said "Christ man - don't worry about them, they're be back before dark"
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:06 pm

tedd wrote:"Christ man - don't worry about them, they're be back before dark"

:lol: :lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum