Christmas trees

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Christmas trees

Postby annagram » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 am

Just wondering who has aritificial trees and who has lives ones? We go with our daughter and family and son and family and cut trees down the weekend after Thanksgiving. Yesterday (Sunday 11/27) we went in the rain but it was fun anyhow and we brought back three beautiful trees.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Re: Christmas trees

Postby Matbow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 pm

I chopped one down over weekend in VT (in-laws house) and will be doing to same in MA this weekend for my apartment.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby tedd » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:32 pm

As long as they are plantation trees and not from the wild I think the live trees present the best
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:22 pm

tedd wrote:As long as they are plantation trees and not from the wild I think the live trees present the best

Yep, they were:

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:14 am

I always get a live one, but as far as "chopping it down" goes, my acquisition only involves driving to the flower shop around the corner :wink:. I always get a Blauwspar, which is a Blue Spruce in english. It loses its needles less readily when our cats decide to jump it :)

I envy you guys for being able to go down and chop one yourselves. I suppose I could do that as well, but it would be illegal as hell. Also, it would look pretty suspicous driving around with a tree sticking out of my Peugot 206 in the middle of the night :wink:
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby annagram » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:46 am

we go to a Christmas tree farm - they will chop it down for you but my husband, son and son in law still do
the chopping themselves.
annagram

Postby johnrogers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 am

Last year for the first time I put up an artificial tree - I really miss the aroma of having a real tree in the house and am considering putting up a real one again this year,not so much for myself but I have two grandsons who still believe in Santa Claus and I like to make Christmas really special for them.

:lol: A real tree is better - but an artifucial tree is so darn convenient :?
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby annagram » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 am

You're right, John, - no needles to clog up your vacuum sweeper :D
annagram

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:54 pm

After reading this discussion I have a confession to make...

I've never ... ever... celebrated christmas :shock:

All this talk of trees is making me reconsider, and join the bandwagon of December jollies :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

Nefer wrote:After reading this discussion I have a confession to make...

I've never ... ever... celebrated christmas :shock:

All this talk of trees is making me reconsider, and join the bandwagon of December jollies :)

Nefer can you elaborate a little "I've never ...ever ... celebrated christmas" ? - I find that to be so very very rare and odd ... as long as you are comfortable in doing so ...can you explain why you have never been caught up in the Christmas custom :eek:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 pm

A cultural thing I suppose :)

I don't remember Christmas being celebrated as a child because 1) I'm not Christian & my parents weren't (& still aren't) the kind to indulge "Western cultural ideologies" & 2) I don't think anyone in my circle of friends ever did!

However, I do remember when I was very young, we would go to Meikels in Bulawayo to see their Christmas display, and we'd go to Centennial Park because they'd have all these beautiful fantasy displays (gnomes, fairies and the like) around X-mas time. After that we lived in smaller villages where there really wasn't much going on at any time of the year! And then in my teens my friends did celebrate X-mas - by going to midnight mass. Living in a desert doesn't offer much scope for fragrant trees and snow to usher in chritmasy feelings :)

So I never got into the tree, gift giving, carol singing happiness till we moved to Canada. And even now, I spend time at my friend's place when I do & her house is an explosion of Joy & Good Cheer :)

This year I'm determined to join in and transform the place with tinsel, a fake tree and pine scented candles!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:45 am

Don't forget Santa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
annagram

Postby annagram » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:06 am

Nefer wrote:A cultural thing I suppose :)

I don't remember Christmas being celebrated as a child because 1) I'm not Christian & my parents weren't (& still aren't) the kind to indulge "Western cultural ideologies" & 2) I don't think anyone in my circle of friends ever did!

However, I do remember when I was very young, we would go to Meikels in Bulawayo to see their Christmas display, and we'd go to Centennial Park because they'd have all these beautiful fantasy displays (gnomes, fairies and the like) around X-mas time. After that we lived in smaller villages where there really wasn't much going on at any time of the year! And then in my teens my friends did celebrate X-mas - by going to midnight mass. Living in a desert doesn't offer much scope for fragrant trees and snow to usher in chritmasy feelings :)

So I never got into the tree, gift giving, carol singing happiness till we moved to Canada. And even now, I spend time at my friend's place when I do & her house is an explosion of Joy & Good Cheer :)

This year I'm determined to join in and transform the place with tinsel, a fake tree and pine scented candles!

I'll come over and help you - i love decorating for Christmas.
annagram

Postby jeffw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Baobab tree for me - just paint the cream of tartar pods different colours; bit of tinsel, few lights and cow bells and bobs yer uncle!! :lol: Not much chance of a covering of snow though. :(
jeffw

Postby annagram » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 am

Sounds unique - you should post a picture.
annagram

Postby Nefer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 pm

annagram wrote:I'll come over and help you - i love decorating for Christmas.

Anytime! I'm so lazy I haven't got a tree yet - think I'll wait for the after x-mas sales and get a fakie on sale :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:16 pm

I ended up putting up the artificial tree in lieu of a real one - as nice as the artificial tree is it is not like having a real tree in the house
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:46 am

Nefer wrote:
annagram wrote:I'll come over and help you - i love decorating for Christmas.

Anytime! I'm so lazy I haven't got a tree yet - think I'll wait for the after x-mas sales and get a fakie on sale :)

Best time to get Christmas decocrations is the day after Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's where mine have come from. Except the tree, of course :D
annagram

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am

Haha, you sound like my girlfriend.
We decided not to put up a tree this year. It's such a hassle, and for christmas we're not even home. Maybe next year...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Return to General Discussion Forum