Games Consoles

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Postby Matbow » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:41 am

I went over to one of my friends house last night to play on his Wii - it's very good! The graphics aren't mind blowing but it is so much fun and that's why the Wii is so great.

I didn't play on any of the regular games, just Wii Play, Sports and that rabbit one - but they were all good. I actually found it more tiring than going to the gym!

I'm still not sure about it's longevity - it could be just a fad, and also I don't think it would be as much fun to play in single player mode. I think I'll wait six months and see how much they cost/what new games are out for it...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Rivaan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:19 am

Yeah, the whole fad thing is a concern for me too. That's why I'll be getting a Wii at Xmas next year. At least then, I'll know it must be a decent console, after reading all the reviews and stories about it ;)

On another note, I got an Xbox 360 this Christmas. I am VERY pleased and impressed with it. I got 4 games: Progect Gotham Racing 3, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, Enchanted Arms, and Gears of War! I have only really played on the last two. Once I am done with them, I will go on to the other 2. Gears of War is just an awesome game.. it's managed to live up to all the hype it created for itself. On top of that, the footage you see in GoW adverts really is the in-game playable graphics!! The graphics of the game are so good that it doesn't use any FMVs (Full Motion Videos) in the cutscenes.. it uses the game's graphics but just with some dramatic camera angles! :D

Here is a trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOX7vCjOCo

(remember, it is using the game's graphics! Just with camera angles to give it that cinematic effect)
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm so tempted to get a 360 but I think I'm going to wait for the ps3...

My first big purchase of the year is going to be a plasma TV so I'm really going to need something to make use of it!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Hey guys i have heard somewhere before that it is best not to play computer games on large screens. Anybody want to agree or hopefully disagree with that idea?
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:36 pm

I disagree, but that's probably cos I've just bought a 42" plasma and intend to use it to play a PS2 and Wii!

In all seriousness, an LCD would be best if you intend to do lots of gaming. Plasma's can have issues with screen burn/image retention (which you can get from the static logos on games). Having said that Plasma's are best for picture quality....it's all swings and roundabouts!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:15 pm

I wanted to wait until after the Christmas rush to get a PS3.
However the fickle finger of fate played its part and one of my sons broke the PS2 the day after Christmas. :mad:
Because we own a bunch of the games for the PS2 I had no choice but to replace it with another PS2 as all the PS3's were gone by that point.
I suppose I will get a PS3 in a few months but I am not looking forward to it.
Why does Sony always seem to come out with their coolest games right before a new console comes out? I think they want to make the person who enjoys those games to be attached to them so that they will buy the new system where their games can continue to be played. :evil:
I HATE BEING A MANIPULATED CONSUMER!
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Rivaan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Heh, it doesn't help that a PS3 costs so much to produce, making the consumer price high.

I will be sticking to the PS2 until a decent game for the PS3 makes me want to get the console. Metal Gear Solid 4, or Devil May Cry 4 isn't enough to make me.. Final Fantasy 13, however, is probably the game to push me to get the system, once it's released (which will hopefully be once the console price has come down).

As for pushing your plasma screen, Matt, most current Xbox 360 games are visually better on an HD-TV :D On top of that, you wouldn't be out half a grand for the PS3 and a single game ;)

I AM eagerly waiting for the good PS3 games to come out, and will only recommend PS3 to others once the price has come down.

As for TVs, yes an LCD is better than a plasma screen, in terms of burn ins. And obviously plasma picture quality is a LOT better than LCD. But recent plasma screens actually have special techniques that prevent easy burn-ins. I think it will still have burn ins if you do it too much, but the amount of burn-in is dramatically reduced and you can leave the screen static a lot more than with old plasma technology. Still.. being someone who plays games a LOT and also watches ABC1 (with the logo in the corner!), I am gonna have to opt for an LCD :?
The four points of the compass be logic, knowledge, wisdom, and the unknown.
Some do bow in that final direction. Others advance upon it. To bow before the one
is to lose sight of the three. I may submit to the unknown, but never to the unknowable.
The man who bows in that final direction is either a saint or a fool. I have no use for either.
- Yama, Lord of Light
Rivaan

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm

My plasma arrived today and it's frickin amazing!

Also...

Matbow wrote:I think I'll wait six months and see how much they [Nintendo Wii's] cost/what new games are out for it...

Umm, well so much for that thought - I ordered a Wii yesterday and it should be delivered before the weekend! I was so shocked to see it in stock that it was just an impulse buy :lol:

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Previous

Return to General Discussion Forum