Favorite Bookstore

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Favorite Bookstore

Postby Penitent » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:25 pm

Since this is an international forum with people from around the globe. It can be interesting to know what your favorite bookstore in your town/country is. That place where you can wander around for hours surrounded by thousands of books of which 99.9% of them you will never read. You never know, we may visit someday…

I currently live in Denver Colorado and the place is called Tattered Cover Bookstore. It has that quality of making you feel welcome and perhaps travel back in time or to a complete different place once you pass the threshold.

They have activities and guest authors around the year. Check the website http://www.tatteredcover.com
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm in Canada & I'll have to vouch for Chapters, seeing as how they bought out Coles, and nearly every other small bookstore in my area.

There was a great used bookstore near where I lived called Wet Wizard Books. The proprietor was the nicest old man, but sadly the business didn't work out & he closed :(.

I always see nice looking bookshops when I'm downtown, but I never find the time to actually go in - many of them are about 30 mins drive (& longer bus ride away) so I'm never really inspired to travel there, :lol:

Blackbond Books is a great place - but again, they're about an hour's drive away in a neighbouring city.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:13 am

That place where you can wander around for hours surrounded by thousands of books of which 99.9% of them you will never read. You never know, we may visit someday…

I am afraid it is my local library that draws me in like that.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Bee » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:35 am

For me the Book Warehouse is really great. Brand new books usually cheaper than the local Chapters. I always find great deals there.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Yakumo » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:35 pm

Pickering Book shop in North Yorkshire.

This guy doesn't even have the internet, in this quaint, small, packed from floor to ceiling in paperbacks shop.

As you walk in the smell of old books permeates through every room, you can smell it as you walk past and it just lures you in like an invisible thread.

The guy has books in here you never new existed and some you did. From rare Hardbacks to modern paperbacks he's got the lot.

If your ever in Pickering check the shop out.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to General Discussion Forum