Beauty that you see

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Beauty that you see

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:30 pm

I just got back from a very short midwinters trip to Aruba.
A few mornings ago I was enjoying my morning coffee on a balcony watching the sun rise and play upon the palm trees, sand and ocean, just then a beautiful small bird landed at my feet and rested fro a few minutes.
The thought occured to me that while all of this was very special and beautiful for me, to the Aruban it would just have been a Thursday, nothing special.
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
All of us have a personal thing which we think is beautiful.
Maybe it was a place or a thing or a feature or a person
What have you seen that was beautiful to you?
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Recently?

I always find beauty in nature - even when its raining, haha!

Just this past Thursday, we got out of uni earlier than we usually do - at 5.30. The sun was just about to set and everything felt so - still. There was no breeze, (strange as we're situated on a beach :mrgreen:) and in the distance, the mountains were crisply outlined and lightly sprinkled with snow.

It was so peaceful and the perfect balm to a very stressed out soul :)

This thread is a great idea, we should post these moments as they happen to us :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:11 am

What have you seen that was beautiful to you?

When i looked in the mirror this morning! Image
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

:lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Yakumo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:32 pm

The sunset tonight across the Ryedale Valley
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Table mountain is always special everytime i visit S.A. and yet i imagine to the people who live there it just becomes part of the backdrop and doesn't seem that special. Strange really.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:58 pm

I don't think people who live in beautiful cities ever get used to looking at their amazing views.

Speaking for myself, I live in the most beautiful in the world, and I notice the beauty every day. Then again, I've only been here for 6 years, so maybe its still new to me. :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby J » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 am

Surfing once, sitting out on this sand bank on my own on the shoulder watching the sets roll in and suck up as they hit the bank, somehow slow but powerful. Another time in the line up as a storm rolled in.
Sorry for the surf jargon.
Also, watched this doco on Disc. channel once about this mountain range called roraima, pretty cool images
J

Postby Monsoon » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:48 am

Another time in the line up as a storm rolled in.

I think those are the occasions when i most notice the beauty of nature, mainly though when the line up is empty though, i think the fact that you are exhilerated has a lot to do with it aswell.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Penitent » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Three years ago my wife was sent to Alaska on a business trip. We decided I will follow her and after her meetings we would take a week and drive around the State.
I remember one morning in a little town called Homer standing outside our Bed and Breakfast situated on a cliff with a sandy beach at the bottom of the cliff a strip of water covered with fog, snowy mountains at the other side of the water and a smoky volcano (no kidding) in the distance to the left. I had several feelings about that moment, it made me feel REALLY small and also that I was at the end of the world.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:11 pm

AES-85 My Icebreaker the USCGC Northwind survived a brutal North Atlantic storm, but was severely damaged.
We limped along the western coast of Iceland while effecting repairs.
At the end of a very long day I got myself a large Iced Tea and my Walkman, then headed up to the focsel and sat down on a capstan.
Then with the wind in my hair, and The Fixx in my ears I looked starboard and saw the red sun reflecting off of the towering black cliffs and refracting upon the calm coastal waters.
Then I noticed the porpoises, there had to be 25 or 30 of them.
They were all playfully swimming together and frolicking.
I sat for a long time watching the beauty of nature and feeling filled with the peace of such a setting.
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:12 am

i live in a red brick terrace and there is nothing more beautiful than a summer evening sun bouncing off the front of my house
cheesy i know but it gives a really ethereal glow and makes me tingle
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Rivaan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:18 am

I was up at 3am one night a couple of weeks back. I looked outside my window expecting to see black or dark blue. But what I saw instead was an orange haze over the entire area. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but after going to the window, I saw that it was the light of the lamp posts reflecting off the snow (you Brits remember that day that we had snow in Britain? This was the night before that day when it had already been snowing for hours).

That was a really nice site, just seeing everything in an orange hue :)
Rivaan

Re: Beauty that you see

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 am

My sons smile!
Recently I Helped my oldest son (10 yrs at the time) print a paper he had written for school.
The title of the paper was "Proud (Of Myself)". He had written an account of his performance in a football game (NOT FOOTY) last season.
The paper brought back to me of a moment of pure beauty.
Anyone not familiar with American Football needs to know that there is NO other sport which requires the level of dedication and self sacrifice to team than American Football. It is the modern version of warrior training. (If you disagree start a different discussion). anyway...
Prior to last season "Jack" had made a choice to try to play above the level of his friends and teammates.
I coach the older boys in a program that has kids for 5 years.
I advised him that if he tried to do this that he would have to learn a new position, and would receive no preferential treatment. He also would probably only get practice time, not getting in any games would be a real possibility (10 to 12 is a HUGE difference in size and aggression.) also if he couldn't do it, he may not get a chance to return to his old squad because somebody else would be entrenched in his old position. He took a Huge gamble.
2 1/2 months before the start of the season he made his decision, and asked me to train him.
{cue the "Rocky" music folks}
all summer was spent with training, pushups, situps, running hills, hundreds of reps with a heavy bag daily.
When Weigh-ins came he was 115 lbs. all muscle, NO fat (heavier than I was at 15). still small for this dividion and he stood a full helmet shorter than the other boys.
Last edited by Son of the Silver Fox on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:58 am

"My Sons Smile" cont.
During a training camp drill the luck of the draw had "Jack" matched against our biggest player,(175lbs.) one of the other coaches started to pull him out of it fearing that it would be a missmatch. here I stepped in and said "he has to do it sometime." When "Jack" held his own against this boy he earned the respect of the other players. By the end of training camp "Jack" earned the right to start, by beating out the incumbent at his position. By the 3rd game he was starting offense, defense and special teams.

It was that 3rd game that produced the moment of beauty.
"Jack" was to be matched against the biggest kid in the league. #76 of our undefeated opponent, he was a kid as big as an adult, who in the first two games had dominated with his size, strength and mean streak. In the week leading upto the game our entire coaching staff scrambled to come up with an alternative to this scenario, there was none. All we could do was hope for the best. That week I spent really wondering what the heck I had let my kid get himself into.

Game day comes. We kickoff. "Jack" stays in with the defense. The players line up and #76 looms over "Jack" a full head and a half taller. When the ball is snapped "Jack" fakes high, shoots low and goes right past #76 into the backfield to tackle the very surprised running back. At games end "Jack" had played David to #76's Goliath. He also earned the respect of the Team and by the end of the season the league and was selected to the All Star Team.

His proud smile at the memories of what he acomplished is one of the most beautiful things ever.
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:40 pm

You must be so proud of your son, Fox :) Thanks for sharing 8)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am

Thanks, Nefer! :)
I am, but the REALLY cool thing was he was proud of himself! 8)
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to General Discussion Forum