When people criticize Wilbur Smith...

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

When people criticize Wilbur Smith...

Postby i_heart_nefie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:45 am

I realized how angry I get when other people completely bad mouth Wilbur Smith today. We had a sub for English and he was commenting on the quality of Shakespeare and how there are no authors like that nowadays. That was a fair point and I guess I accepted that...but then!! He says "Not like the "authors" we have today like Bryce Courtenay, a couple of others and Wilbur Smith..." Kate and I just gasped and looked at each other!!! Then the three of us got caught up in an argument over how Wilbur Smith novels not only educate but also entertain people of all ages (ok, mainly teens upwards :) ), and he still wouldn't listen. I tried to explain that there was so much variety, such as Ancient Egypt and 16th (?) century Britain and Africa etc but he just laughed and said that WS was nothing more than an 'adult comic book writer' who got his ideas from some other author who I can't remember...

I was a little surprised at my instinct to turn my teacher into a WS lover and realized I may be just a little obsessed. Has anyone else had to stick up for WS? I felt like it was my duty as an avid member of this forum!

Please don't tell me I'm crazy :)
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

When people criticize Wilbur Smith

Postby Ada » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:37 am

No, nefie, you're not crazy. Yes I've stuck up for WS's novels but it never worried me much if some one else didn't like them. We are all entitled to our opinions. Your sub needs to be a bit careful if he is going to criticize novels he has more than likely never read. WS is an entertainer and so was Shakespeare - different times, different audiences, who cares - there's room for all of them. By the way, I heard some where that Shakespeare was accused of getting his ideas from some other author also! (Don't quote me on that - do some research first.) (Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about re old 'Willy Wag a dagger' - he's over rated IMO.)

Instead of criticizing WS the sub should have been praising you for reading books - there's not many kids your age who do.

I'll be interested to see if Nefer has anything to say about your sub teacher.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby delby » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I must agree Im very protective of all my favourite writers , I would definitely duel for their honour :lol:
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 pm

he just laughed and said that WS was nothing more than an 'adult comic book writer'

I know exactly how you feel because i have experienced the same thing all too recently :twisted:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:15 pm

The worse thing that can happen to anyone that puts something out there (a book, a movie or whatever) is indifference. If it stirs an emotion, positive or negative it is better than nothing. In this particular case I think the teacher was criticizing originality more than anything else. It is difficult to find original things, everybody copies or borrows from somebody else and tries to incorporate those ideas in his/her own stile. Examples:
Dumbledore from “Harry Potter” was ‘loosely’ based on Gandalf from “The Lord of the Rings”. Terry Brooks “Sannara” series is a carbon copy of “LOTR”.

One of WS favorite authors is C. S. Forester. There is no question that the influence for the nautical scenes and battles of “Birds of Prey” and “Monsoon” comes from Forester’s “Horatio Hornblower” series.

I still think nobody describes Africa like Wilbur, but the influences are there and they are obvious.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:16 pm

I don't defend Wilbur Smith at all, nope not me, never![/sarcasm]

PS - I kinda think I scared him/her away (oops!)
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:26 pm

i always stand up for wilbur! about a year ago i tried to get my girlfirend into him, giving her River God, but she did not like it, so i dumped her! :lol:

nah only joking, there were other reasons too :-k
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:49 pm

But the not liking Wilbur was the clincher, right John? :mrgreen:

And as for the sub - stupid to get into an argument with students about anything. Dude needs to be taught some sense!

As for defending Wilbur, I always do :lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:29 am

Nefer wrote:But the not liking Wilbur was the clincher, right John? :mrgreen:

Of course! as soon as she handed me back River God and slagged it off, i said well thats it i'm afraid. This clearly isn't working! #-o :mrgreen:
John R
Founder Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:36 pm

haha so I am not the only one??!! Thanks guys :)

Love your opinions on the topic! hehe
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Bee » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Well it seems the sub didn't listen to your arguments. And as Ada said everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Perhaps sometime in the future kids will be reading WS books alongside Shakespeare books! :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:33 pm

now that would be cool!
John R
Founder Member

history, saga & fine details

Postby vallabh » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 am

The meticulous care with which he brings out finer details makes you gasp. Wilbur smiths each novel is a source of great information. Either it be history, some technical stuff, relationships, business or archeology what ever it is you will learn a lot.

I would certainly defend wilbur smith on any occation. This is one difference I find with the authors of other novels and wilbur smiths! He does a lot of research.
vallabh

Postby i_heart_nefie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:46 am

Perhaps sometime in the future kids will be reading WS books alongside Shakespeare books!

If our English assignment was on WS, I would pay a lot more attention!!!
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Bee » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:02 pm

Can you imagine it? :lol:
Bee
Founder Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 am

Oh yes...yes I could...especially with out current assignment which requires us to write a short story about a gap in the play. I want to write a short story on a WS book!!
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Bee » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Know this is off topic but what are you planning to write on? What play are you doing?
Bee
Founder Member

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:47 pm

I just finished it, we had to write a short story on The Taming Of The Shrew, and set it in the future, while also challenging a discourse. It was strange, but I guess fun to write.
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Postby Bee » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:11 am

Sounds like a fun and interesting assignment!
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:56 am

Well you and Kate are good wrtiers (fan fic anyone, hmm?) so I'm sure you'll ace the assignment, as boring as it sounds to me!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum