Word of Mouth Advertising

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

Word of Mouth Advertising

Postby Matbow » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:34 pm

I read the following article earlier on today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6478889.stm

(If you can't be bothered to read it, it's about companies giving samples of products to "normal people" who then give their honest opinions on the product to friends, colleagues and relatives)

I've actually just signed up to become one of these testers (I'm now a BzzAgent!) to see how it all works! The concept seems so simple and effective and has given me some great examples to use in my upcoming exams...(not forgetting all the free stuff I should get too!)

What do you guys think? Are companies just exploiting peoples greed to get free advertising?

PS - if you want to become a BzzAgent check out http://www.bzzagent.co.uk/go/uk/welcome ... end_uk.jsp

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Ada » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:45 pm

After reading the comments at the end of the article I think "Tim, Walsall" pretty well says it all. Most of the comments refer to "being paid for it" - despite the article saying you are not. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

You're not getting 'ripped off' are you Matt? "try our client's products and services - for free or at a healthy discount"!! I don't believe there will be any free mobile phones, DVD players etc. - more like the old shampoo, toothpaste or washing detergents which they've been shoving in our letterboxes for years. You have also now got yourself on another "Mailing List". Sorry to sound so cynical but it's the old "If it sounds too good to be true......"
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 pm

It may be true - I think companies are realising that the glitziest advert on tv with Kate Moss will get you no-where if the product is crap (I'm not slagging off Rimmel, lol, I love their nail-polish!)

I read something a looong time ago about companies sending bloggers products for free, and if the blogger liked the product, they wrote up a great review.

I don't always believe one or two people's opinion of a product, but I do keep it mind when shopping. One person's experience will not be the same as your own - but it is a comforting feeling when someone you know well tells you a product is well worth your money.

Do I think its rip-off? No, but be prepared for a lot of spam Matt!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:12 pm

If you are getting a freebie and then recommending it to a friend then there isn't really a problem.
If however you continue to get discounts on that product then the friend might start to see you as a salesman rather than a true friend.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Yakumo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:15 pm

I am probably a sceptic on this too.

Nothing in this world is "free".

I am sure Matt can let us know how it goes and see what goodies he gets, before we assess by word of mouth whether it is worth us doing it. :roll:
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:41 pm

Well I haven't had any "campaigns" open to me yet so no free stuff at the moment :( I can't decide whether this is ever going to be beneficial for the testers, but I do think its really clever!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Return to General Discussion Forum