What does your username mean?

Discussion about anything! Films, music, sport etc...

What does your username mean?

Postby Matbow » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:02 pm

We've got quite a lot of "random" usernames here so I was wondering why did you guys choose the name you did and is there a reason/meaning behind it?

For my part, "matbow" is just the first 3 letters of my first and surnames - pretty boring!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Coz i am wet and wild!
I didn't want to be a book character as such so i chose a book name, Warlock might have been better but it would not have suited me.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Yakumo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Well my name comes from a short and perhaps amusing story, or not!

I was applying online for something and recognised that I would need a unique user name for my ID. I knew I wanted something that could not easily identify me and would not give out any personal information, but as I am completely un-imaginative I wondered what to do.

At this point I noticed my flash drive that was plugged into the computer and written on its glistening silver side was the brand name. Yakumo.

Now I thought this name would have already been used by someone but was pleased to find it had not.

From thence forth I was to become known as Yakumo.

Its quite funny really as many people have confused me for some oriental type running a chinese restaurant when in reality I am a true Yorkshireman and more English than the soil itself.

Research has found that there was a Japanese Man of War ship with the same name and I thought that was equally befitting me as a person.
Yakumo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:32 pm

mine is boring! my first name - John - and the first letter of my surname. When i joined the site i actually had my full name but felt it was too personal for a internet site, so changed it to John R
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Penitent » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I was trying to get my nephews away from videogames for a while by introducing them to the adventures of Indiana Jones. We were watching “The Last Crusade”. At the end of the movie Indy has to overcome certain challenges in order to get to the chamber where the treasure awaits. Each challenge comes with a clue. The clue to the second one is “ONLY THE PENITENT SHALL PASS”. (You’ll have to watch the movie to know what will happen to you if you don’t find out in time what that means….) :twisted:

As it happens, a few days latter I came across the forum remembered the movie quote and I became "Penitent”.

Dull, I know; my nephews think so too…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Ada » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 pm

I wanted Sunbird but it was taken - at least they posted a few times. I would have been pooed off if they hadn't ever posted anything. :lol:

Still wanted something from one of WS's books though so grabbed his first (When The Lion Feeds) and looked for his first female character - voila - Ada!
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Nefer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Nefer is the Ancient Egyptian translation of my IRL name. Thought it would be appropriately mystifying!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ramon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:32 am

In other forums where I am a member I always go under the name Johncj, which is made up of my surname, first name and second name.

But on this forum I wanted to have a character name from one of the books, and to be sure no one else would've already taken my nickname, I chose a character no one can like...

But I'm a nice guy, though.
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby delby » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:47 am

Hey Bowby I have been thinking about putting this exact thread up but thought it may be a bit presumptious ( me being a newbie and all) thanx.

When I was alot younger and sillier I worked at Mcdonalds(an education in itself believe me) and there was a girl whose surname was norman but her writing was bad and it looked like worm so we called her that instead and it stuck. me and a girl called catie were her best buds and so people started calling her cateworm but Adell worm just sounded sillyso we came up with Delbyworm and its been my nickname ever since I didnt use it as my username coz it looked a bit silly but now i think I will.

:oops: can someone tell me how to edit my username :oops:
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby delby » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:01 am

Yakumo you are a yorkshireman so is my dad He lives in wensleydale
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:55 am

delby wrote:Hey Bowby I have been thinking about putting this exact thread up but thought it may be a bit presumptious ( me being a newbie and all) thanx.

Its never presumptuous to start a new thread, so feel free to do so!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Pseudonym/ Nom De Plume

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm

I think this is a cool idea for a thread.
Mine is personally significant, it is a tribute to my father.
Last edited by Son of the Silver Fox on Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Allira » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Ok mines a little interesting Maybe?? When I first started using the net (chats and yahoo msn and all that) I needed a name, and lies to be different..LOL..so I went hunting being australian for Aboriginal or Indiginous Australian names and meanings. My Yahoo is AlliraKarinya.

Allira = Daughter

Karinya = Home

also my daughters name is Kira, So I wanted to incorporate that in it some how...was a long drawn out process i went grey and missed many christmases..lol
xxxHugs from Down Underxxx
Allira
Allira

Postby i_heart_nefie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 pm

I feel like my username is pretty darn awesome...coz I do heart Nefie. Nefie is Pharaoh Nefer Seti, by the way, from the Egyptian books. Yeah, my username really says a lot about me lol.
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Ems » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 pm

my username is my nickname which my Grandfather gave me when I was little.
Ems

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 am

I was thinking long and hard for an Egyptian-inspired username. I like the way the ancient Egyptians painted the kohl eyeliner around their eyes - extending to the temples in long, graceful and cunning lines. So, Egyptian Eyes it is.
I wish I could wear eyeliner like that , but people here might think I'm insane. :lol:
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Or a fan of Liz Taylor ala Cleopatra :);)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:40 am

Errr not really haha. I saw that movie, but am not too crazy about her.
Though the Ptolemies are rather interesting, I am more keen on reading up about the real Egyptians... I am sure you know that the Ptolemies were not really Egyptian (a significant fact which many people do not know!). Cleo sure had a colourful life though.
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Postby ellyattc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am

ellyattc:

Ellyatt is my surname and "C" is my first initial :D
Fan of Genesis and Wilbur Smith!
ellyattc

Postby memnon » Tue May 29, 2007 4:35 pm

Easy... I love River God, is the first book that i read of WS, and i thought in someone that doesn't have too much protagonism in the story, so i didn't choose Taita or Tanus for example (but my dog's name is Tanus) :D
Earth, wind, water and fire... But of all four, the master is the fire
memnon

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum