Conn Iggulden

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Conn Iggulden

Postby Matbow » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Merged the two Conn Igulden threads...

I've read all his (fiction) books and I'm a big fan. Preferred Emperor over Conqueror, but only because I have more interest in that time period.

Looking forward to "Empire of Silver".
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:13 am

I've read the Genghis Khan books, you'll enjoy them John :) Haven't read the 4th one - I thought it was a trilogy! Looks like I have a new book to read!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am

Well I have now read the complete Emperor Series,four books about the life and times of Julius Caesar - And have read the first three books in the Conqueror Series,four books about the life and times of Genhius Khan ( I have one book left to finish the series.Now look I have enjoyed these books to the maximun,great fun,good histrical fiction,very educational and thougt provoking as hell.A good read and I would recommend them to anyone.HOWEVER only a worthy contender as compared to the writing of Wilbur Smith,no one has the magicical touch the mr Smith has in his ability to tell a tale.If Wilbur Smith is the king in a deck of cards - then Conn Iggulden is the jack in the deck of cards
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:23 am

Good god, you fly through them :). How do the Genghis books compare to the Julias books in your opinion? I've still only read the Rome series, but are definitively going to read the others as well.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:16 am

Hi Ehoog - Really great to hear from you in fact you are the individual who suggested Conn Iggulden to me.Well I am glad you did by the way.I still have one to read In the Khan series Empire of Silver I have the book here at home but I am saving it for a rainy day I have overdosed my brain with way to much historical fiction to the point where by brain is paste.

Conqueror series is a very very good read and you should read them the life of Genghis Khan and the mongrel society is very interesting and informative Genghis Khan was a warlord bar none and killed thousands upon thousands and is one of the great military leaders of all time.

As much as I enjoyed Khan I actually prefered the Emperor series just a little bit more,just being that ancient Rome and Julius Caesar and the time period tends to more interesting for me.By the way Ehoog Conn Iggulden is working on a fifth entry in the Julius Caesar saga which picks up where the last book ended.You can keep your eye out for that but we are a couple of years down the road

Merry Christmas Ehoog [b14]
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 am

Good to hear that a fifth is on the way :). I don't actually know a lot about Genghis Kahn, so that will be interesting. The whole Julius thing has obviously been visited by many a movie and book and I knew a lot more about that era. Learning something about Genghis is going to be fun I reckon :).

Merry Christmas to you as well and of course to the entire board. I don't have a lot of time these days (finishing my Master's thesis), but I'll be back for more in the new year!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Finished the Genghis Khan series today.Four books in the series - #1 Wolf of the Plains - #2 Lords of the Bow - #3 Bones of the Hills and - #4 Empire of Silver which I have just completed - loved it started reading it and could not put it down.The series is historical fiction about Genghis Khan and the Mongrel society amazing people please read this saga you will love it.

I did this however I read the first three books in a row and got a little bit of an overdose so I decided to put Empire of Silver to the side and save it for a rainy day which I am glad I did.I am sure we will see a fifth book in the series in a few years from Conn Iggulden and I will tell you I will be first in line to get my hands on it.

Another thing I would like to mention is the book Empire of Silver got a lot of bad reviews by readers when it first came out kind of like the same thing that is happening with Wilbur Smiths new novel Those in Peril.

Point is this - never judge a book until you have read it yourself I truly loved Empire of Silver by Conn Iggulden contrary to some of the 2 star reviews I read

Empire of Silver - 10 out of 10 :)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks for reminding me about the latest book! I had completely forgot that it was recently released. It's on my Kindle ready to read after "Those in Peril" and the latest Jean Auel...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am

Matbow wrote:Thanks for reminding me about the latest book! I had completely forgot that it was recently released. It's on my Kindle ready to read after "Those in Peril" and the latest Jean Auel...

Hey Matbow - how did you manage to get Those In Peril on to your kindle it is not available yet ? :eek:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

Conn is my second favorite author next to WS. I liked the conqueror series more but both are worth reading. the 5th conqueror book is out htis fall some time. Can't wait.
ddeeanderson

Currently Reading: Warlock

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Look forward as well to the 5th book in the conqueror series - can not wait
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Are you sure there is a 5th book coming out this fall by Conn Iggulden - I am not so sure that you are correct - Iggulden published and released Empire Of Silver in 2010 about a year ago to be more exact.Now I just checked his website and there is no notice of a new book coming out as of yet nor can I find any mention of it anywhere on the interenet.

I actually talked to Conn Iggulden on his website less than six months ago and he refered in a post that he was working on an installment but he stated that it takes him about two years to write and publish and if my memory is correct his next book will be book 5 in the julious caesar saga ( if my memory is correct )

Anyways whether it be this year or next year I will look forward to a continuation of the Genhius Khan or the Roman - Julius Caesar saga I look forward to reading the 5th installment of either.I have read all of Igguldens novels .
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Its so gratifying to have an author who is in touch with their fans! I love Conn for doing this - he and Diana Gabaldon are the 2 who I know have no problems with engaging with their fans on the internet :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes Nefer Conn Iggulden is totally interactive with his website in fact I actually chatted him several times in his forum on his website www.conniggulden.com - he has his own forum section at it is very very active,in fact his brother and brother in law ( I think ) are the moderators on the site,it may he be a full time job for them and they jump in to almost every post.Iggulden talks to his fans almost on a daily basis and I have seen him jump in to help out university students with there history lessons.I felt very celebrity like when I actually got a post from Conn - he also welcomes new members as they join - I am sure if you knocked on his front door he would ask you in for a cup of coffee,he seems very down to earth and has not let the fame and wealth go to his head - or so it seems.

My wife Kelly is a huge fan of Diane Gabaldon - as you know I find her work to romantic in the outlander series for me personally but as you stated before - some people really like this sort of thing and Galadon is a world class writer - loved by millions :)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:44 am

Good to hear Conn is so interactive with his fans. For me, that would make my loyalty to the author triple :). I don't know if any of you know Chris de Burgh (artist)? Well, I'm a huge fan of his and he also has a section on the official site where you can ask him questions. The moderator then groups all the most interesting questions and gives it to Chris. Then, in between tours, he answers them and the moderator posts one answer a day on his site (http://www.cdeb.com/cdebnew/askchris.html). Thas is so absolutely amazing to me. I got three answers already and I know what you mean John!

PS: I still have to start the Conqueror series (shame on me). But on the other hand I know that I have something to look forward to :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Conn Iggulden is in there like a dirty shirt,I am sure he reads the forums posts daily and actually has a lot of fun interacting with his forum members.By the way Conn Igguldens forum is way over the top regarding activity in fact it is to fast paced for me many loyal forum members whom no doubt consider the forum part of there daily routine.Many university type younger people in the forum as well whom are history freaks - and let me tell you E-Hoog they know there stuff.However Igguldens forum is truly a fantastic experience.

I am reading a book right now that very much intertwines with Igguldens The Emperor Series - julias caesar and roman times - it is called The Memoirs of Cleopatra:A Novel by Margaret George - very in depth about Cleopatras time in Alexandria spent with Julius Caser,something Iggulden covered in his book as well.

The primary thing that you will enjoy when reading either The Emperor Series ( rome/caesar ) or the Conqueror Series ( genghis khan ) is the attention to the battles and the wars that Iggulden eludes to.He goes to great lengths to give you blow by blow accounts and descriptions of what is going on the battlefield - so be careful E-hoog you may have to dodge a few spears and avoid getting dismembered by a battle axe when reading ( har har )

[b7] You have got to read Jeffs book Sons Of Africa - it will blow your mind
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:29 am

I am positive that the book comes out this fall. It is actually called "Conqueror" and is being released in Canada on October the 5th, 2011. I have pre ordered through chapters and look forward to seing what Kublai Khan does. You are correct that another Ceasar book will be out soon and I look forward to that as well. It will be very interesting to see how events unfold after his death. I also believe that he mentioned somewhere in the forum that a 6th book for the conqueror series will be in the works soon as well.
ddeeanderson

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 am

Well if that be case,it is great news for me as well,I am interested in both books for sure.I have read both series so when it comes out I intend to read it right away.What Iggulden mentioned to me was a fifth installment in the Julious Caesar epic - The Emperor Series - and exactly as you have stated a continuation after the death of Julius Caesar.What I like most about The Conqueror and Emperor series is the detail of the actual battles and warfare descriptions.

Thanks for the information :)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:34 pm

His battle scenes are Epic!! But I think what I like most about his books is the detail of the culture and lifestyle of the time period and people he is writting about. I feel as if I am in a Roman city 2000 years ago or in a field with the Mongols hundreds of years ago. He takes you there and every time you put the book down all you think about is going back there. Hopefully the release date of his next novel is as soon in your country as it is in mine!!!
ddeeanderson

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:37 pm

Now that I look a little closer I noticed you do live in Canada. If you go to Chapters you can pre order right now. It is comming out in paper back as well as hard cover!!!!
ddeeanderson

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors