Conn Iggulden

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Conn Iggulden

Postby johnrogers » Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Emperor:The Blood of Gods - release date May 23

I received this mass mailout from Conn Iggulden,sent out to all the forum members who belong to his website,www.conniggulden.com.I thought I would pass it on to this forum as I know there are a lot of die hard Conn Iggulden fans in this forum group.

Hello from Conn Iggulden

For those who don't know,a fifth Emperor book will be coming out in five days on May 23rd.

The title is Emperor:The Blood of Gods.It's the story of the events following the assassination of Julius Caesar and the rise of Augusta.It allows me (at last) to justify the "Emperor" title,which of course is how I planed it all along,I hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes to all-and to all a good read

Conn Iggulden

:D - very fitting the fifth and I believe last book in the Emperor series is released after the final season of Spartacus aired on HBO recently - johnrogers I am stoked to read this book to say the least.
I
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Matbow » Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I feel clueless I just discovered Conn Iggulden has two new books out ( where have I been I wonder ) they are titled Wars of the Roses 2 books in the series so far the first is titled Stormbird and the second is titled Trinty.Well I am tuned and ready to go they are historical.Has anyone read them yet I am going to for sure.Conn Iggulden is one of the greatest writers I have ever come across.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:18 pm

I saw it before and assumed you of all people would know that :-).

I've just read the first two books i the Conquerer series. Very good! But now I'm taking a break with some Tom Clancy
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:15 pm

[quote="E-Hoog"]I saw it before and assumed you of all people would know that :-).

I've just read the first two books i the Conquerer series. Very good! But now I'm taking a break with some Tom Clancy[/quote
Did not know about Igguldens new series War of Roses figured his last book out was book 5 in the Julia's Caesar saga.Anyway I am happy as a pig in the barn with two new Conn Iggulden books - really I am frothing at the mouth with excitement love the Iggulden way of describing war strategy and the hand to hand battles that occur,no one I can think of does that as well as Conn Iggulden,and he is historically accurate.Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.I have read both series Emperor and Conqueror.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:44 am

johnrogers wrote:I feel clueless I just discovered Conn Iggulden has two new books out ( where have I been I wonder ) they are titled Wars of the Roses 2 books in the series so far the first is titled Stormbird and the second is titled Trinty.Well I am tuned and ready to go they are historical.Has anyone read them yet I am going to for sure.Conn Iggulden is one of the greatest writers I have ever come across.

Thanks for the reminder John. Like you Conn is one of my favourite authors but I often forget to check for new releases. I visited his page a few months back and noticed this new series but didnt get around to buying it. I'm now reading Stormbird and am enjoying it so far.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Matbow » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Stormbird was actually one of my least favourite Conn Igguldon books. The character development just wasn't there and it was hard to get 'sucked in'. It was more like an interesting text book than a gripping novel.

If I think back to his other series both started when Caesar and Gengis Khan were children and we witnessed them becoming the 'legend'; Stormbird is less focused on a specific person and more on the political environment so there are a lot more protagonists that the novel flipped between.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby johnrogers » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I am going to start Stormbird in a day or two and looking forward to it just have a few more pages on a terrible book I am reading at the moment.Know well what you mean in the Emperor/Conqueror books really could feel the lives of Genghis and Caes.Stormbird should be a good filler while I wait for Desert God on Oct26th.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Just downloaded War of the Roses:Stormbird which I am about to start and downloaded War of the Roses:Trinty ( book 2 in the series by Conn Iggulden.
If any one is interested I bought Stormbird ebook edition thru Amazon Canada - it was only $3.92 Canadian dollars ( very inexpensive for a new release Iggulden I thought) Trinity was $12.92 Canadian.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:07 am

War of the Roses - Stormbird and Trinity (two books).The best historical books I have ever read in my life.The quality of Conn Igguldens writings are far beyond anything I have ever come across.Wow the characters are life like and you feel like you know them.The battle recreations are so vivid you almost think your standing on the battlefield with the troops.Long live Conn Iggulden,my favourite historical writer by a country mile.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:11 pm

John - Have you read Ken Follett's Century trilogy? Another great series following 4 different families in 4 different countries starting out in the early 1900's and ending in the 1980's.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby johnrogers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 am

Matbow wrote:John - Have you read Ken Follett's Century trilogy? Another great series following 4 different families in 4 different countries starting out in the early 1900's and ending in the 1980's.

Thanks for the recommendation Matbow - I am going to start the series as soon as I finish Desert God.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Just a further comment about the two books in the War of Roses - Stormbird and Trinity.After a week of reading them I am still thinking and dreaming about them,they are that good and they are a must read for anyone who is looking for an incredible reading experience.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 am

johnrogers wrote:Just a further comment about the two books in the War of Roses - Stormbird and Trinity.After a week of reading them I am still thinking and dreaming about them,they are that good and they are a must read for anyone who is looking for an incredible reading experience.

Hi John,

How do they compare to the Conqueror series? I've read the first two books in that series and I'm not enjoying them as much as the Emperor series.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:37 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Just a further comment about the two books in the War of Roses - Stormbird and Trinity.After a week of reading them I am still thinking and dreaming about them,they are that good and they are a must read for anyone who is looking for an incredible reading experience.

Hi John,

How do they compare to the Conqueror series? I've read the first two books in that series and I'm not enjoying them as much as the Emperor series.

Howdy EHoog

Read Matbow's post dated Oct 2-2014,his reaction to The War of Roses is similar to your reaction to The Conqueror books.Personally EHoog they were the best two books I have read in my life,Matbow is correct the story is political for certain but the intrigue and mystery Iggulden weaves into the story is equal to the best crime thriller out there.How he can do this in an historical novel based on politics and war in the years around 1450 in England is beyond my ability to reason.The other thing that made the books so worthy for me is they are based on history the educational value written in is fantastic.Iggulden teleports me back in to the time period he is writing on gives me great insight and lots to think about what it would have been like to live in that time period.He takes you into the battlefields, the hand to hand combat,the strategies involved,the swords and the shields the arrows flying in swarms,makes me think what would it have been like to have to face that in a man's life.Any way EHoog you get my point I love Conn Iggulden he deserves and has earned his place in the hall of fame for historical writers.

NEED I SAY MORE EHOOG :shock:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:14 am

Hi John,

Ok, that sounds good :D . I will definitely read them then. Thanks!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 pm

johnrogers wrote:
Matbow wrote:John - Have you read Ken Follett's Century trilogy? Another great series following 4 different families in 4 different countries starting out in the early 1900's and ending in the 1980's.

Thanks for the recommendation Matbow - I am going to start the series as soon as I finish Desert God.

Ok Matbow have started The Century Trilogy book 1 Fall of Giants.Something tells me I am going to enjoy this.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 pm

johnrogers wrote:
johnrogers wrote:

Ok Matbow have started The Century Trilogy book 1 Fall of Giants.Something tells me I am going to enjoy this.

Good stuff.

Also, for some reason Trinity doesn't seem to be available as a kindle book in the US. Odd.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby johnrogers » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm

New book just out in Conn Igguldens War of the Roses series it is called Bloodline came out Sept 24th in Canada and is expensive as hell via amazon.ca - kindle edition is $18.99 in Canada but the extreme price is due to a low valued Canadian dollar.

War of the Roses series
book 1 - Stormbird
book 2 - Trinty
book 3 - Bloodline - just released
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Previous

Return to Other Authors