Conn Iggulden

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Conn Igguldon

Postby Matbow » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 pm

I've been given "The Death of Kings" for Xmas and it looks quite good - it's about a young Caesar. Apparently it's book 2 out of 4 in the Emperor series, so I might just get the 1st one from the library so I can read them in order.

Anyone read anything of his?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:34 pm

No, but sounds promising!!

Let us know what you think, I'm always looking for historical fics :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:49 pm

Same here :lol: I've gotten hooked on HBO's "Rome" and am interested in the subject.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Matbow » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:24 pm

I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

One of the things I've read about this series is that although it's meant to be "Historical Fiction" it's not really that accurate - in fact (apparently) a lot of it's completely made up. Hmm....

As for "Rome" I watched the first few episodes and I couldn't get into it, I hope I can with these books.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Give Rome another shot it has been really good!
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Penitent » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:21 am

Yes, the story is “made-up” which is fine; after all “River God “ is also made up but fantastic and the historical background and research were top notch. I tried the first volume of this series by Conn Iggulden “The Gates of Rome” and could not finish it.

I look forward for more opinions and see if I made a mistake and should give it another shot.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 am

I eventually got around to taking book one of the this series (The Gates of Rome) out of the Library and I enjoyed it a lot!

I'd give it 7/10 - the plot and characterisations are good, but I felt it lacked in the "descriptive" element - which is what I love about WS books; everything is described so vividly you can almost imagine you are there. I really didn't get that with this book.

I went on to book two straight away and I'm probably enjoying it more, I'll write more when I've finished it!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Matbow » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Book 2 in this series "Death of Kings" was a great read - a lot better than the first. I found it hard to put down and often ended up reading into the middle of the night! I didn't want anything to spoil my enjoyment of it , so, even though I was doing quite a bit of commuting on the train I didn't take it with me as I knew I'd get distracted!

I've gone straight onto the next in the series...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:02 pm

Due to promotional issues on this forum :) i decided to have a go at this series. I am currently about two thirds of the way through 'the Gates of Rome'. I decided to take the plunge after reading the first couple of chapters online, and they hooked me in straight away. However not much further into the book i started to get worried because there didn't seem to be the depth that i was looking for, many of the storylines seemed a little shallow and were resolved too quickly before moving on. Eventually i got used to this and just settled for being carried along by the tale and have in fact found that i can pick the book up almost anywhere and jump straight back into the story immediately.
I think its going to be a 7/10 for me aswell.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:30 pm

It seems like I never actually wrote up my thoughts for the final 2 books in this series - well, I liked them a lot! I can't really remember what happened in each book as I read them all one after the other in the space of 2 or 3 weeks, but book 2 is definitely the best of the bunch and book 1 the worst IMHO.

I had a look at Conn's official site and he has a forum that he actually posts in and he's mentioned on numerous occasions how much he loves Wilbur Smiths Courtney series - it's safe to assume WS was a big influence on him!

Recommended to anyone with an interest in the Romans, or just good old "war" books! Monsoon - I look forward to reading your reviews on the other books in the series :)

Matt

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 am

I am not sure when i am going to get around to the other 3 books because i seem to be in the middle of several series.
Perhaps i should start reading 2 books at a time :-k
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 pm

I finished 'Death of Kings' a couple of months ago and i have to say i really enjoyed it, i seemed to read it superfast aswell and would give it somewhere in the region of an 8.5 or even 9. I gave it a few weeks before i picked up 'Field of Swords' so i would be fresh but unfortunately it hasn't worked out because i have been reading it for 6 weeks now! I don't think that is down to the quality of the book but the fact i have so much going on in my life right now so my enjoyment has been somewhat stinted.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Glad you read book 2, I agree that it's a really great book - best of the series and unputdownable!

Contemplating starting his new series about Gengis Khan but the 1st book isn't in the library or out in paperback yet :(

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Conn Iggulden

Postby Nefer » Sun May 04, 2008 1:16 pm

I remember someone here recommending this author but I can't find that post anymore...

In any case I am just eating this author up! I picked up "At the Gates of Rome" yesterday at the bookshop, and may I say I need a return trip this week? I'm almost done reading it!

Well written, interesting characters and good background info. I can't wait to read the rest of the books :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: Conn Iggulden

Postby Matbow » Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=443

Second page of this very forum!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Conn Igguldon

Postby Nefer » Mon May 05, 2008 2:34 pm

How embarrassing, can't believe I missed this thread in my search :oops:

I remember someone here recommending this author but I can't find that post anymore...

In any case I am just eating this author up! I picked up "At the Gates of Rome" yesterday at the bookshop, and may I say I need a return trip this week? I'm almost done reading it!

Well written, interesting characters and good background info. I can't wait to read the rest of the books :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed May 07, 2008 11:12 am

I couldn't get into the Rome series, couldn't finish the first book.
Ha also has a Genghis Khan series, second book is out now.
He is also the writer (together with his brother) of the “Dangerous Book for Boys” series.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:32 pm

The series was a little shallow - not to WS's caliber. They are very fast reads, but at the same time, very compelling :)

I enjoyed them, and look forward to reading the Genghis books.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Sent an email to one of the forum members asking to recommend something to read.He mentioned Conn Iggulden.Man right up my ally and genre of book.I went and checked out Conns website and got very excited.Went online and ordered all seven in the series re the Emperor series and the Conqueror series.Just received the books today in the mail from Chapters all seven of them.Very,very looking forward to get at them,however commited to get thru the Outlander series first.But really and truly I am frothing at he mouth to start reading them
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:12 pm

I have just completed and read Conn Igguldens Emperor series,all four books.Very good read if I may say so.About Julias Caesar ,his battles,his rise to power,and the politics of Rome,and an insight into the man himself Julias Caesar.As close as one can come to Wilbur Smith as I can find.Next on my hit parade will be the Genghis Khan series,Conqueror.In fact I have all four of his books in my possesion,ready to read,but will take a break and read The Girl Who Played With Fire first,just to break it up a bit.Now further to that I posted on Conn Igguldens forum and website and guess what - I actually talked to Conn Iggilden on his forum - pretty darned uplifting to have the writer acknowledge his readers - Makes me feel pretty darn good. - Totally worthwhile to read his books - Entertaining and fun
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Next

Return to Other Authors