Dan Brown

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Dan Brown

Postby John R » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:21 pm

I have just started 'Deception Point' by Dan Brown. I've already read the other 3 books he's written, 'The Da Vinci Code' , 'Angels & Demons' and 'Digital Fortress'. Out of the 3 I found Da vinci to be the best, but enjoyed them all. I find Dan Brown easy and quick reading, especially after finishing a Wilbur. Does anyone else like this guy? or have you read any of his books?
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby WSI » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:43 am

I agree with u: Brown is easy, but rather good. I've read Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons and enjoyed both. He's not like WS but a very code author of thrillers and good researcher
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:13 am

So far so good with Deception point. As always i find Dan Brown easy reading, the plot flows nicely and at a fast pace, interesting and although the characters are possibly a bit superficial, i can't wait to read more of this.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:06 am

I like Dan Brown, but I think he's over rated as an author.

I've read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and Deception point and although I liked them, I don't think they were written particularly well. His style is simple and quite basic, almost like an average joe has picked up a pen and decided to write a book with no formal training etc...

What Brown is good at is picking a great topic to write around, doing lots of research and regurgitating lots of controversial/popularist theories written by someone else.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:38 pm

Agree with you completely, Mat!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 pm

matbow wrote:His style is simple and quite basic, almost like an average joe has picked up a pen and decided to write a book with no formal training etc...

In the translation it's not that simple, paratatic, basic. So I thought him being more elaborated. :?
Nonetheless it's good food for lazy days, nothing u regret (and nothing from where u taking something with u)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm

I think Dan Brown is a smart guy. The attention span of todays generation is not what it used to be. Kids who've grown up playing computer games just don't see anything appealing in a 800 page book with never ending chapters. Brown's stories are quick fire, full of action and have short chapters that nearly always seem to end with a cliff hanger, which makes you want to read on. He's very much a 'modern day author' and i think his style of writting will be emulated by others in the future where it's all about selecting very interesting plots e.g. The Da Vinci Code and just flying through the story, where one of the downfalls (for me) is that the characters don't seem as deep and realistic as say Wilbur's. But it works.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:19 am

I've nearly picked up 'the Da vinci code' on several occasions but i keep holding back, i'm sort of thinking it's going to be like a blockbuster film that has been over hyped and won't live up to the high expectations.
However i am seriously considering trying the one that is set in an icy landscape and giving it a chance on its own merit. The one thing bothering me is that the plot sounds a lot like Austalian author Matthew Reilly and his book 'Ice Station' which would be quite a tough act to follow.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:18 pm

That'll be the one I'm reading now Monsoon. It's called 'Deception Point' and although I can't compare it with the book you mentioned, i am finding it a good read so far.

I've never heard of this M.Reilly, do you recommend him then? I'll check him out on amazon for reviews on his stuff.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:00 pm

I've read Ice Station!

Its amazing how we've all got so much more in common than WS :D It was a really long time ago, probably back in high-school. I think I still have the taterred copy lying around somewhere.

It's really good, I'd recommend it :D

And give Code a try. It's not a badly written book, the plot moves along nicely. Good for a bit of light reading :).
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Monsoon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:55 am

Thanks guys DB is on my pending list, but oh what a long list it is getting to be! :-k
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Have finished 'Deception Point' and thought it was a good read. Very interesting plot but still DB does not build his characters into anything worth remembering.

Anyway, I would still recommend this book to anyone of you who is in need of a Wilbur break (like I was). It's easy reading and enjoyable. Even found it hard to put down at times, Very nice, 7 out of 10.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:16 am

I bought 'Digital Fortress' yesterday and started reading it last night. This seems to be the genre of book that I like - prior to finding WS I only really read crime/espionage thrillers.

So far it looks promising :mrgreen:
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:40 pm

I found Digital Fortress quite good. Nothing special but a decent read. Fast and easy. I wouldn't say it was his best - now that I've read all 4 - I say IMO Da Vinci or Deption Point are his best. But indeed, all 4 I got enjoyment from.
John R
Founder Member

Postby VMS » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:53 am

As it seems to be a common opinion, Dan Brown's books are easy to read. I've read The Code in English (which isn't my mother language) and it really was easy and quick to read! At least comparing to Wilbur, which, I regret to say, I don't get everything out of English versions. Yet anyway! But fortunately almost all of them are translated to Finnish also... :D

And I have Finnish version of Angels & Demons waiting for me when I go back home from this lovely country they call Czech Republic! 8)
VMS

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Well I am too paranoid to tell if I've read any Dan Brown.
you see many millenia ago there was this secret meeting between secret folks and they shared a secret.
That secret was soooooo secret that they will kill anyone who finds out the secret... blah blah blah bla bl b.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Penitent » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:45 pm

That’s funny!

Well I do admit I have read Dan Brown and actually enjoyed more “Angels and Demons” than “DaVinci Code”. Having said that I do agree with many people on the forum and they are just average books. I really don’t understand the fascination that “Da Vinci” has created. After all, the same topic has been discussed in dozens of books already.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:32 pm

I am currently dragging my way through The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail by Baigent Leigh and Lincoln. These are the guys who took DB to court saying he stole code from them. I can see why they thought he had but this is more of a thesis based on facts and theories and nowhere near as thrilling as DBs work I think that is why it had such hype because he brought the grail into the now and it was in a way believeable. Not that I want to go running off to look at the rose line or anything but it makes you thjink more open mindedly about the theories in blood and grail .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Chaos » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Da Vinci code is a good book

Angels and Demons was waaaaaaay better though.... Da Vinci code was mainly hype.
Chaos

Postby Ada » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:03 am

I've decided to have a break from reading so I picked up Angels and Demons. :lol:
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Next

Return to Other Authors