Historical Novels.

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Historical Novels.

Postby crayfish » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:44 am

Not seen Philippa Gregory mentioned here and have read quite a few of her books

"The Queen's Fool", which is set in the time of the Tudors is a very good read.

However "The Other Queen", which centred around the life of Mary Queen of Scot's, I found to be rather disappointing.

I would, however, recommend "Earthly Joys" and "Virgin Earth", if you enjoy both adventure and action in your reading material.

Don't be put off by the fact that the central character is a Botanist!

In his search for many new plant species, John Tradescant encounters a host of weird and wonderful characters and suffers much hardship along the way.
Both books proved to be real page turners, and I greatly enjoyed the period they were set in during the times of Cromwell and the civil war.

I am an avid reader of historical novels, and any recommendations would be much apprieciated?
Cheers
crayfish

Currently Reading: rage

Re: Historical Novels.

Postby jeffw » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:01 am

Hi Crayfish.
Try 'Turning Wheels' by Stuart Cloete.
Jeffw
jeffw

Postby Osipov » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 am

Hi, Crayfish

I read that you are a fan of historical novels and looking for some ideas. I suggest that you try les "Mémoires d'Osipov". You can download (free) this novel on the Internet, via google.

Good reading

AE
Osipov

Currently Reading: Power of the Sword

Postby Miss read it » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 pm

I love historical novels for the past year till I found Wilbur Smith I have been reading nothing but historical novels not the likes of The Other queen but way back The Valley of Horses The Mammoth Hunters by Jean Auel its really a 5 book series but those 2 are the best. Sue Harrison My sister the moon the second in the Carver Trilogy and The Earthsong Trilogy by Mary MAckey and The last Warrior Queen also by Mary Mackey are really good.
Miss_Read_It
§☼♦If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree.~Jim Rohn♦☼§ ‬‬‫٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶‬.
Miss read it

Currently Reading: blue horizon

Return to Other Authors