Tom Clancy

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:06 pm

I have read most of the real Clancy novels, his writing is long winded and laced with techno-babel.
however the overall stories are usually very enjoyable with good charachers and intersecting storylines.
His Op-Center books are written by other aurthors and he is just a consultant on the story ideas and unfortunately these suck.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Penitent » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:52 pm

I read “Hunt for the Red October” more than fifteen years ago, and it was good. Interesting deep sea adventure with the good old Russians causing havoc and threatening to desestabilize the world's order. Yeah, like we have not read anything like it before! What made it special then it was that it was a new author's first effort. This was Clancy's debut novel. And it looked so promising! It was a little heavy on descriptions and on incredible long background stories of some of the characters and that made the overall pace suffer.

Unfortunately I feel that Clancy's later efforts are still trying to repeat this book's success, without even getting close. He has even resorted to "Ghost writing" with series as horrid as "Net Force".

If you must read Clancy, "Hunt" in my opinion is your best bet.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Other Authors