Tom Clancy

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Tom Clancy

Postby John R » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:26 pm

Have heard a lot of good things about this guy so I finally decided to give him a go, more out of the blue than anything else to be honest. The book is called 'The Bear and the Dragon'. Just happened to see it laying about in the Library and picked it up - despite it's size (over 1000 pages!) will be the largest book i've ever read (if i do finish it) - Has anyone else read a Clancy novel? How do you rate him as a writer?

Along with reading 'Deception Point' this should give me a good enough break from Wilbur and i'll be more than ready for 'Monsoon'.

Will let you know what I make of both books.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby John R » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:10 am

at the moment I'm really enjoying this book. The bear and the dragon is a far cry from anything WS has written which is what i was looking for. Actually, i'm finding this book Very educational to be honest. An example would be that i just found out that during WWII the Japanese killed more Chinese than Hitler killed Jews. A fact that surprised me, i must say.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:15 am

I read "Red Storm Rising" whilst on holiday last year. I liked it but it was a bit dated - it was written in the 80's about the Cold War.

The books actually written by Tom Clancy and someone else...I wasn't sure whether that meant some chapters were written by Tom and some by the other person or whether the other person was just a consultant.

I definately plan to read some more...I think I`ll start with the first in the Jack Ryan series, which ever one that is!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:37 pm

I've read one by & found it to be very boring & formulaic.

It's called Op-Center Mission of Honour, and it's partially set in Botswana - one of the reasons I picked it up is because I spent 6-7 years of my life there :)

The book was sorely dissappointing, not only in it's portrayal of my beloved former country of residence, but in plot movement. He ain't no WS, let's put it that way! I know authors don't have to stay true to life, but somehow, even with that caveat in mind, he didn't manage to give a proper picture of the country of setting. It's almost as though he spent a holiday there and thought, gee, let me set a story here!

Just IMO :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:43 pm

mat said on Dan Brown:
<I>His style is simple and quite basic, almost like an average joe has picked up a pen and decided to write a book with no formal training etc...</i>
That goes for me very good with Clancy
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:24 pm

@ matbow - The book I'm reading now is a Jack Ryan story, although i'm not sure if it's the 1st with him. I have never picked up a Tom Clancy before ....I just happened to come across this discarded copy of 'The Bear and the Dragon and thought why not?

As for his style, it is indeed very different from WS but not too dissimilar to Dan Brown, in that there isn't much depth to his characters. The story is relatively fast paced but rather large! I think this book i'm reading is over 1100 pages. It's taken me nearly a week just to reach chapter 5 and there's 60 odd chapters!! :shock:

Still, at the moment i'm enjoying the story, but there is just one slight complaint. There are a heck of a lot of Russian characters in it and Clancy uses their full names. What i mean is, instead of the 1st name and surname, he also uses a middle name as well. So that's 3 names per character, all of which are difficult to pronounce, and there's a lot of Russians! I am finding myself turning back pages just to remind myself who's who!
John R
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:17 pm

JohnRook wrote:Still, at the moment i'm enjoying the story, but there is just one slight complaint. There are a heck of a lot of Russian characters in it and Clancy uses their full names. What i mean is, instead of the 1st name and surname, he also uses a middle name as well. So that's 3 names per character, all of which are difficult to pronounce, and there's a lot of Russians! I am finding myself turning back pages just to remind myself who's who!

This problem I know from other novels, especially historical. A cure: To make a list of the people and their names on a piece of paper (sounds funny, but it works) :)

To the russian names: Unfortunenately they have three; read a book of Dostojewski or Tolstoi - this is real horror :wink:
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:56 pm

oh right, that would explain it then, I didn't know Russian's have 3 names. Sounds strange to me. Cheers WSI :wink:
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:10 am

JohnRook wrote:oh right, that would explain it then, I didn't know Russian's have 3 names. Sounds strange to me. Cheers WSI :wink:

I had a Russian girlfriend and her first name could be said as; Irina, Ira, Irinochka or Irichka!!
Tom Clancy's first published book was 'Hunt for Red October', the first in chronological order was 'Without Remorse' and then i think' Patriot Games'.
I tried reading 'Clear and Present Danger' and 'The Sum of all Fears', but i couldn't really get into either, the descriptive nature of his writing was somewhat tedious and mundane, and i became bored with them.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby WSI » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:21 am

Monsoon wrote:I had a Russian girlfriend and her first name could be said as; Irina, Ira, Irinochka or Irichka!!

oh, let's edit this; it's almost [b7]
as long as everybody knew who was called ... 8)

the first name is the first name, the second is the father's name and the third is the surname (one may correct me): Fjodor Michailowitsh Dostojewski for example
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:40 pm

Yes I see what you mean now WSI because in the book it's just mentioned Joseph Stalin and it also gave his father's name in the middle. Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.

p.s You learn something everyday! :)
John R
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:44 am

JohnRook wrote:Yes I see what you mean now WSI because in the book it's just mentioned Joseph Stalin and it also gave his father's name in the middle. Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin.
p.s You learn something everyday! :)

sure. u can get as old as a cow and u still learn :)

have u ever read something with roman names? I have to admit that I studied this stuff some years ago, but if a person with 4 or 5 names comes around more often it gets rather difficult ... (think of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus maior) :roll: :shock:
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:02 am

WSI wrote:have u ever read something with roman names? I have to admit that I studied this stuff some years ago, but if a person with 4 or 5 names comes around more often it gets rather difficult ... (think of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus maior) :roll: :shock:

:shock: :? Come again? :o In that case I think I'll leave the Roman stuff for now :D
John R
Founder Member

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:18 pm

Tom Clancy is class, have read most of his books, the Bear and the Dragon is brilliant probaly my favourite of his alongside Executive Orders.
aaron

Postby WSI » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:15 pm

JohnRook wrote: :shock: :? Come again? :o In that case I think I'll leave the Roman stuff for now :D

u shouldn't, John, there are brilliant novels on the ancient rome, e. g. from Colleen McCullough (yes, she wrote the thornbirds , but the roman novels are different and not to compare with this) :)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Ok, thanks WSI, I'll keep it in mind. :wink:
John R
Founder Member

Postby John R » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:09 pm

Well despite enjoying this book, i have decided to leave it for the time being. This might seem strange but I think a big reason for this is that there are so many other books that I'd like to read first. So I will go back to Wilbur now and some day Clancy will get another chance, and deservedly so (spelling? :? )
John R
Founder Member

Postby Candy Deep » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:37 pm

If you are new to Clancy read 'Without Remorse' first.....
Candy Deep

Postby John R » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:04 am

I'll make a note of that. You think its his best?
John R
Founder Member

Postby wingwriter2000 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Just a note...all of the paperback series with Clancy's name on them he had little or nothing to do w/ writing them. I went to a lecture by Mr. Clancy several years ago and he said as much.

Red Storm Rising was co-authored by a man named Larry Bond, who is an accomplished author his ownself and has roughly ten of his own novels in print. They wrote the book based on a computer game they worked on together I think was titled Harpoon...but not sure of title.

I prefer Clancy's Debt of Honor and Executive Orders. They are basically one novel being EO picks up less than an hour after DOH. A lot of people blamed Clancy for the attacks on 9/11 due to his use of a 747 in a major attack in DOH.

Stay away from Red Rabbit at all costs...it will bore you to tears. No villain, no suspense. Depending on likes stick with the books prior to RR.

The book "The Hunt for Red October" and the movie with Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery of the same name stick very close together. I would suggest you start with either of those.
wingwriter2000

Next

Return to Other Authors