Simon Scarrow

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Simon Scarrow

Postby willlou » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:17 am

I'm a little surprised to see no mention of Simon Scarrow on this forum, as he is one of the most exciting historical adventure writers around at the moment. I picked up one of his books up by chance in a hostel in South Africa and was completely hooked from the first page.

He writes about the Roman legions with two principal characters, Cato and Marco. Cato is the intelligent young recruit while Marco is the hardened veteran and the books develop their friendship and their adventures together as they take part in the conquest of Britain. They then move on to Rome, a sea adventure and then to battles on the Eastern frontier. The first book in the series is ‘Under the Eagle’ and it is worth reading them in order. Great stuff, I’ve just read his latest book ‘Gladiator’ about a slave revolt on Crete, which I had to buy in hardback the day it came out and finished it in a weekend.

He’s also written a series of books on the Napoleonic Wars, which are a fictional account of the lives of Wellington and Napoleon. The're on the shelve but I’ve yet to read them, that period not being a favourite of mine. Even so if his other books are anything to go by, they will be excellent.

Discover this author, you won’t be disappointed.
roam if you want to
willlou

Re: Simon Scarrow

Postby chookie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for the onfo well done.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby rafel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:34 am

Hi.I have just registered in the forum to day,and yes Simon Scarrow is fantastic.I have read all the Eagle series,and it makes you feel as being part of the legion.
rafel
rafel

Currently Reading: assegai

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 am

Love the roman period. Is he as good as Conn Iggulden? If he is anything close I will read his stuff any day.
ddeeanderson

Currently Reading: Warlock

Postby merdiolu » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 am

Hello. I should mention that I have finished REVOLUTION series ( lives and careers of Napoleon Bonaparte and Arthur Wellesley Duke of Wellington until their fateful confrontration in Waterloo ) of Simon Scarrow and they are suberp. Really very good historical fiction writer. I shall be waiting his next novel eagerly. ( it is about siege of Malta. )

Have I mentioned that he was kind enough to reply me when I communicated him via e-mail ?
merdiolu

Currently Reading: Triumph of the Sun

Return to Other Authors