Beverley Harper

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Beverley Harper

Postby wadeburgess » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:46 pm

Dubbed "Australia's answer to Wilbur Smith," Bev wrote historical novels set in South Africa. Sadly, she died a couple of years ago. I own all of her novels in first edition and they are great reads and worth searching out.
Please contact me if you collect Wilbur Smith first editions.
wadeburgess

Re: Beverley Harper

Postby Bids » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 am

Yeah only just recently finished Edge of the Rain. A good alternative to reading Wilbur. I just cant seem to get enough of African novels. Anyone with the same tastes try reading a few of her books. This one early on reminded me of Burning Shore with the bushmen
When The Lion Feeds, The Sound OF Thunder, A Sparrow Falls, Birds Of Prey, Monsoon, Blue Horizon, The Triumph Of The Sun, The Burning Shore, Power Of The Sword, Rage, Golden Fox, A Time To Die Assegai.

A Falcon Flies, Men Of Men, The Angels Weep, The Leopard Hunts In Darkness

River God, The Seventh Scroll, Warlock, The Quest.

The Dark Of The Sun, Shout At The Devil, Gold Mine, The Diamond Hunters, The Sunbird, Eagle In The Sky, Cry Wolf, Eye Of The Tiger[/b[b]], Hungry As The Sea, Wild Justice, Elephant Song
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Postby Geoff Carter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Wow Can't say that I haver heard of BH.

I am just halfway through Burning Shore so will sus out the other title you mentioned. Its just a testament to the power with which WS writes that amazes me. Being previously aware of the destiny of Michael, while reading it, I still found myself hoping he would pull through. And at the end of that 'chapter' (no-chapters) was totally washed out and distraught!. I am reading WS like they are going out of fashion, and now worry what else I would read. I have not be a re-reader and marvel at many 'posters' who say they have read a particular novel 3 - 4 times, I might have to try it!
Geoff from Darwin
Geoff Carter

Currently Reading: Falcon Flies

Postby Bids » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Yeah fantastic book Burning Shore. I wont say too much as not sure where you are upto but it is just simular between the bonds made with the bushman and there ways of life
When The Lion Feeds, The Sound OF Thunder, A Sparrow Falls, Birds Of Prey, Monsoon, Blue Horizon, The Triumph Of The Sun, The Burning Shore, Power Of The Sword, Rage, Golden Fox, A Time To Die Assegai.

A Falcon Flies, Men Of Men, The Angels Weep, The Leopard Hunts In Darkness

River God, The Seventh Scroll, Warlock, The Quest.

The Dark Of The Sun, Shout At The Devil, Gold Mine, The Diamond Hunters, The Sunbird, Eagle In The Sky, Cry Wolf, Eye Of The Tiger[/b[b]], Hungry As The Sea, Wild Justice, Elephant Song
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Return to Other Authors