Diana Gabaldon

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Diana Gabaldon

Postby Matbow » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:20 pm

I've just noticed that I have a copy of "Fiery Cross" on my bookshelf. I've got no idea how it got there but I was wondering if anyone knows what this book is like.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 pm

VERY GOOD :)

In a nut shell, it's book five in a series of books about a woman who can travel through time.

The first book starts in Scotland after WWII, and this is confusing... ends up @ the Culloden battle (forget what it's called.)

Thats the 1st 2 books, Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber. The 3rd is called Voyager where the main characters move around a bit, and the next few books, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes are set in the American Revolution.

As you may already know, I'm a huge fan of Diana's. She writes very good historical fiction - but I'm warning you, the books have a lot of romance in them.

I have a feeling a girl you know may be trying to convert you - most people who are fans of Jean Auel's are also fans of Diana's :)

Since the book is #5 in the series, you may want to read them in order - the books are quite long and sub-plots do kinda come back to haunt you.

If you find any books called Lord John and the Private Matter or similar, they're not related to the series. Lord John shows up half way through the series, so don't read those till you've at least read Voyager.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Grr

Postby Matbow » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:40 pm

Bugger...looks like I might be paying a trip to the library then.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:42 pm

I finished "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" this week, and man it was good!

IMO, it's the 2nd best of the series. I had a grin on my face while reading the book. Can't wait for her to start writing the next one!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damo42 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:49 am

She does make her characters addictive. And it doesn't hurt that she has broached a topic that isn't often written about, with the time travel thing. While her books are historical fiction, I think she concentrates on the romance quite a bit, and that's fine. Great author though, and I enjoy her books a lot. Her website is interesting as well.
damo42

Postby Nefer » Sat May 06, 2006 8:04 pm

I haven't spent much time at her website, fan that I am!

What about her site do you enjoy?
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby damo42 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:14 pm

Not anything in particular, her website is simple to navigate, and you can easily figure out what you care to about her books. It is simple, tactful, and laid out well.
damo42

Postby Nefer » Sun May 07, 2006 2:49 pm

damo42 wrote: simple, tactful

Much like the lady herself. :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:21 am

Diana Gabaldon has loyal following in this forum. I personally have not read anything by her; my local bookstore has her shelved under Romance and that is keeping me a safe distance away from her. But I do have a lot of friends that swear by her.

Anyway, I would like to report to her followers that she has more than one new book coming out this year. I believe they belong to the “Lord John” series.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:17 pm

I would venture to disagree with that categorization... She should be under historical fiction.

IMO every story has some romance element in it, so it's silly to stick her in that category.

Try reading her books - you'll be convinced! Am also sadly not a fan of the Lord John books... never liked him much as a character.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

here's a twist for you

Postby vogster » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:16 am

I enjoy my books in audio form as I have little time to sit and read - I drive quite a bit. In particular, a good reader can add a considerable measure of enjoyment to a book. DG's Highlander series is one of my alltime favorites, and the reader for the unabridged version is also one of my alltime favorites. When you have a great book with a great reader, it adds up to an experience which can be addicting. So be forewarned, if you start... its five big books, all outstanding.
vogster

Postby Penitent » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:05 am

OK Nefer; I will give it a try, I just put the first volume of the series on my reading list.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

FOUND ONE

Postby delby » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:47 pm

I was looking at a used bookstall today and normally just look for names i recognise but this one wouldnt leave me alone so i bought it.
I thought Id look here to see if thats where I had seen the name and lo and behold no wonder I recognised the name cos Nefer never shuts up about her :lol: :lol:
Just kidding Nefer I got a book called Cross Stitch and it seems great so far
Ill let you know what i thought.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Re: Diana Gabaldon

Postby Nefer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:48 pm

[b14] I think you will love it
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:45 pm

I do I do
Im not getting through it as fast as I would a wilbur or a Harry Potter but i find im enjoying it just as much

I even dreamed about it last night :lol: hahaha
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:50 am

OK Nefer I finished it and I think you can add me to your list of Converts;
Im thinking that cross stitch is the first of the series you mentioned above and its absolutely fantastic , I will definitely be checking out the rest and probably her website too .
Ps Ive also started to read it again and its definitely the mark of agood book when After the last page i turn straight back to the first .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:11 am

delby wrote:Im thinking that cross stitch is the first of the series you mentioned above

Just been to the website and Cross Stitch is the UK publishers name for the book OUTLANDER and Ive just ordered the next two in the series off amazon(so much for my used book rule hahaha)

Nefer Im really disappointed with you how come you never mentioned diana Gabaldon before :lol:
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Haha, I know, I know, I really should shout her name louder :lol:

She is my inspiration and I want to be the kind of writer that she is one day. Can't wait till you're all caught up!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re:

Postby delby » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:17 am

Nefer wrote:I finished "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" this week, and man it was good!

IMO, it's the 2nd best of the series. I had a grin on my face while reading the book. Can't wait for her to start writing the next one!

Which is your best Nefer

MY neighbour just brought round my parcel containing Dragonfly and Voyager :lol: and it took all my control not to start it yet cos I am supposed to be working :(

Im going to start in about an hour tho :D
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Oh dear, what a terrible question to ask me... ever since you posted the question I've been pondering it...

Will have to go with "Outlander" a.k.a. "Cross Stich", just because it's so brilliant, it pulls you in so completely, and just when you're happy and content, she throws in a few benders that make your eyes pop and wonder at her power to portray character so brilliantly and effortlessly.

And here ends my love-note :lol:
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Next

Return to Other Authors