The Man's favourite authors!

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

The Man's favourite authors!

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:51 pm

On a brief break from being edu-macated, I noticed WS has updated the "You asked" section (I'm pathetic, thank you or pointing out the obvious!). Either that or I never noticed before that he's listed his fav. authors!

C.S. Forrester, Patrick O'Brien, Robert Graves, Gerald Durrell, Ryder Haggard, Larry McMurtry, Bernard Cornwell and Cormac McCarthy.

So 2 questions: Did anyone here ask him about his fav reads (in that email form thing - it would be cool to know if he put that up in response to a fan question!); And do you know/have you read any of his fav's?

I love love love Durrell - not fiction, but non-fictional accounts of the man's travels around the world to collect fauna for zoos. He's sadly passed away, but not before he created the Durrell Wildlife Trust. He must've been one of the luckiest people on earth, to be able to follow his childhood dream :) My fav. bool from all he's written has to Golden Bats and Pink Pigeons about his Mauritius trip.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:55 am

It's good to know W.S's favourite authors but I didn't ask him that when I wrote to him. As for the names mentioned, I've not read any of them to be honest.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Monsoon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:35 am

I've read Forrester and O'Brien, both excellent seafaring writers so plenty of ties with WS books. Have also read almost everything by Bernard Cornwell, in fact i drew a mention to him in my review of 'Triumph of the Sun', mmm..very interesting indeed.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Penitent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:53 pm

I have read Bernard Cornwell. Probably the most prolific author of Historical Fiction out there today. All books have a historical background and they are very well researched. I added a new topic about him under “Other Authors” if somebody wants to comment.

C S Forrester is the author of the Hornblower series. I’m actually planning to read them all (I’m ready to start the fourth one). I will post also it’s own discussion.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Other Authors