Hilary Mantel

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Hilary Mantel

Postby tedd » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:05 am

I'm reading WOLF HALL by Hilary Mantel, not a recent book (published 2009) but apparently made into a BBC TV Series at some stage (I haven't seen it!). It's about Thomas Cromwell who rose from a gutter boy to become a major influence on Henry 8th and others in and out of Court particularly around the time of Anne Boleyn. Full of intrigue and brutality the style of writing and presentation is uniquely different from others of the era and it took me a while to follow the story initially - I didn't know who was up who and who was paying (if you don't like this crudity don't read the book) but now I find that although I don't think about the book much while I'm not reading it, once I pick it up and start to read, I have great difficulty in making myself put it down. It is a very good read and I'd recommend it to all.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Hilary Mantel

Postby tedd » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:56 pm

I finished the book - and am well pleased with it. Once you get used to the style it rolls along nicely and I consider it a "must" if you are into historical novels. It's very long but holds the interest throughout. Reading reviews by other readers (NOT professional reviewers) I can understand their confusion about "he" - you often don't know which "he" is referred to often having a choice of two "he's" and I think I noticed a choice of three at one stage. I don't know whether this is deliberate on the part of the author or whether he/she has just typed, got lazy and never bothered going back over and checking and editing what has been written. It just looks as if they've finished it and said "Phew! thank God for that - I'm off on holiday before I start the next episode"
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Other Authors