New Writer

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

New Writer

Postby jeffw » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am

Hi
Been given the go-ahead to put up my own work. Been writing for 25 years and thought this would be the ideal time and place to kick the lid off! My first book; Sons of Africa, comes out in April this year. Have five in all; set in Africa and ranging through from 1890's to present day. Hard for me to do, having worshipped WS since '64. There will never be another WS, but others, inspired by his genius must surely follow on. Have just started my 'Blog', still in its infancy but follow the URL (listed below) and check out the 'extracts'. Hope you find them entertaining.
Appreciate your time,
Best regards to all worshippers of WS.
jeffw
http://jeffreywhittam.blogspot.com/
jeffw

Re: New Writer

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Jeff,

Is there any particular reading order? i.e. is it serial work or are they stand-alones? I see Sons of Africa comes out in april. Will this be hardcover or paperback? The extract is very interesting :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby jeffw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi,E-Hoog,

Enjoyed your interest, you seem to be in touch with Africa. Will be posting another blog tonight - some of your questions re publishing,order of release etc will be there. Coming on line amongst supporters of the world's best adventure writer 'aint easy'. Genuinely want to talk about WS, especially with those in tune with the countries he wrote about. Not here to compete with WS - wouldn't be so foolish.
Stay in touch and a name would be good,
Best regards,
Jeff
ps The Last Elephant is a stand-alone, the rest are linked though can be read individually.
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Jeff,

Interesting to read your blog and the replies of the agency you sent your manuscript to. Old fashioned... Right, and all readers are 20? Anyway, as soon as you've got something for sale I'll try it.

It's interesting to read about the way you bring your book to the reader, because I myself will be doing that in the near future. I already have a Dutch book out there (http://www.boekscout.nl/html/boek.asp?id=979) but that was really a first try at writing. It's not something to send to respected publishers (at least in my opinion). I'm working on a second Dutch novel, but more promising is my English novel, in the style of Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams. As I'm not native English speaking, getting the text correct will be the most difficult task I face. I fear the writing might be too simplistic, but so far everyone that has read it laughed their ***** off, so to speak :). Another difficulty is to keep consistent in English/American style. But hey, first I've got to finish it :wink:. I'm about halfway.

The best of luck to you Jeff, and I'm looking forward to Sons of Africa.

regards,

Tom
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:50 am

Hi Tom - nothing wrong with your English, reads well. Mine gets somewhat messy, but what the hell,don't matter,what does matter is the story - spelling mistakes we can all fix later - conjuring up an interest in your readers is the key to writing success. Never too simplistic, in my eyes - 'less is more'. And believe - whatever some might throw at you, BELIEVE! Stay in touch and finish the book. Most aspiring writers chuck in the towel. You don't come across as that kind of guy. Re the 'old fashioned' comment; correct me if you disagree, but I reckon there are thousands of people out there who still prefer the magic of a good adventure story. If I'm wrong? Then I'm in trouble, but Africa's the only serious genre I have in my bag. Live by the sword... whatever - it's all I have. May Wilbur Smith reach a hundred before the fire goes out...
Best regards,
Jeff
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

Finishing a book is one of the hardest things to do. It took five years to finish the first one, and the one I'm currently writing has also taken five years... . My problem is that I tend to lose interest in it and go and work on something else. I've probably started about ten books so far :wink:. Only one of those is finished, but I'm determined to finish the second (the English one) as well! Might post some snippets of it somewhere around here.

The old fashion comment is a load of **** in my opinion. People nowadays want a 'quick fix' for pretty much anything, and, sadly, that goes for reading as well. Dan Brown is one of those authors that get this and make beautiful use of it. I myself have fallen for his grab-you-by-the-throat style as well, but that said, I also forget about the novel about 2.5 seconds after I'm finished. Which, incidentally, falls perfectly into the way that most people operate/think/act in this day and age. I myself am no exception in a lot of ways I suppose, but when it comes to reading I like the good long stories. And that is what WS is the king of. But back to the old fashioned adventure novels. Even with the diminishing interest (if that is even true) in the longer stories and the swashbuckling adventure theme, I think that a publisher could still sell a lot of these type of books. There are millions of people out there who love it. Have you considered sending it to another publisher? The one that publishes WS for example? While I admire your attitude towards self-publishing, a foray into the tedious world of publishers might still result in a fruitful ending.

Kind regards,

Tom
Anyway,
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Tom,

Understand where you're coming from - starting a book is easy - everything's fresh and optimism runs high! Then the months tick by... and by... and - you know what I mean. That's why it's so important to interact with other writers otherwise weariness sets in and you'll throw in the towel. Put up some of your writing - not saying I'm good at the business, but maybe I can help out. As an outsider, sometimes it's easier to see where the trouble lies. We all need interaction. Talking with like-minded people is good. Takes guts to bare your soul in a forum like this, but I'm sure there are plenty aspiring writers on this site who would love to do the same. Re my own writing - took months for me to pluck up courage to post on a WS site - but where else do we talk about all things Africa? Like I have already pointed out, not here to compete with WS or anyone else. Writing is all about learning from other writers, and yes, I think I learned a lot from WS and for that he has my respect and admiration. Having said that, WS did his fair share of learning from other great writers and I know he would never deny this. When all's said and done; to be a surgeon you learn from others in that field - preferably the best. You must have seen my blog? Helps me handle the discipline of novel writing - every day, without fail I write,and yes I'm knackered, but must keep going(sounds like someone struggling to reach the south pole!) more and more people are viewing and hopefully enjoying what they see. Will, in my next blog, be putting up a small extract of Sons of Arica, and every week thereafter, just to make things more interesting.
Re the 'snappy story starter' or 'must-grab-the-reader' first line? Load of bullsh**. Nothing nicer than easing the reader in - fair enough if you're writing whodunnits, but books on old Africa? as S. King always says "fugetaboutit". Wouldn't work. And writing African adventure/historical stuff aint easy, that's why so few writers give it a go. The wolves of political correctness and incorrect usages are waiting to devour the errant writer. No place for mistakes, but to hell with them - just do it!
Jeff
ps enjoyed the ramble; stay in touch.
Sorry - forgot; re approaching a publisher? Might sound crazy to you, but if they want it - they know where I am. Go well and keep writing.
jeffw

Return to Other Authors