Terry Goodkind

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Terry Goodkind

Postby E-Hoog » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:56 am

Just started the first book in the Sword of Truth series. Wow. Finally something to give me that feeling again which I had when I first read The Lord of the Rings. John, it is fantasy, but even you might like it. It is very good and the characters are very believable and real.

Be sure to read this series in order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Goodkind
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Re: Terry Goodkind

Postby johnrogers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 am

E-Hoog wrote:Just started the first book in the Sword of Truth series. Wow. Finally something to give me that feeling again which I had when I first read The Lord of the Rings. John, it is fantasy, but even you might like it. It is very good and the characters are very believable and real.

Be sure to read this series in order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Goodkind

You know you are correct I have to open up my mind and read a book genre with a fantasy base.I will be honest with you I never have other than a few Steven Kings over the years and in fact that is not fantasy.I will give it a try on your suggestion.I am a few pages to the finish in a present book and will complete it today - I am going to download the first book in the Sword of Truth series on to my kindle and give it a go.I will be careful to read them in the right order as well.Will report back to you on how I liked it and what I thought on this Post

take care ehoog - may you get 3 stars on every level of angry birds :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby johnrogers » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Ehoog

Can you just verify that this is correst there are 12 books in the series Sword of Truth written by Terry Goodkind - all 12 books are related to Sword of Truth and the very first book in the series is called Debt of Bones.I just want to make sure I read the first one first

[b7] Angry Birds
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 am

Haha, I was going for the 3 stars on all levels as well. Still haven't managed it though.

Debt of Bones is a prequel to the series, and is written as a stand alone. Or so I'm told, because I'm only halfway through the first book :). But am loving it deeply. I find I can't put it down at night, while I should be sleeping to get up early for work. The first book to read is Wizard's First Rule. There are indeed twelve books, but a thirteenth will be out soon. The order in the wikipedia link should suffice, with Debt of Bones not necessarily read in a particular order.

By the way, Stephen King has written some freaky shit over the years :wink:. But also very 'normal', non-fantasy books.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:33 pm

E-Hoog

I am going to start the series reading Wizards first Rule and bypass Debt of Bones for now.I just wanted to be certain there are a lot of book in the series.I have downloaded Wizards first Rule and will begin today.I did check out the link you gave me as well - just looking for verification there are a lot of books in the Sword of Truth series.

[b7] I have read most of Steven Kings earlier books but not his recent books other than Under the Dome which I got for christmas and I loved the damn book I really enjoyed it.Sometime in the future I would like to read a few more Steven Kings can you give me some recomendations - keep in mind I read his early works everyone of them the stand,salems lot,cujo,carrie etc.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:09 am

I hope you enjoy it :)

Of Stephen King I've read only two books (It and The Green Mile) which were both outstanding, but a friend of mine is a pretty die hard fan of his. He feels about King the way we feel about Wilbur Smith, so I know a lot of the storylines. I still have a lot of his books on my to-read list. So as far as recommendations go, I can't give you much, other than the two I've mentioned.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 am

I just finished the first book. Wow :D. I didn't want it to end, but it did anyway, as I was reading it at the speed of sound. This morning I read a few pages of the sequel Stone of Tears and joy of joys: it just picks up where Wizard's First Rule left off :).
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue May 03, 2011 4:35 pm

I am one third thru the book - I am enjoying it, it is a major head adjustement for me to click on to magic and sorcery in a genre when I read.I like the characters in the book very much and I am getting in to it.I am only at the part where Richard and Kahlan are entering in to the Midlands they are at the edge of the boundrys.So are you going to read the second it the series right away - talk about devouring books it sounds like you ate the cover off the one you just read.I am enjoying the read for sure admiting a reading curve but hope to become addicted.

:-k have been distracted from reading - hockey -bin laden - canadian election - royal wedding - spring projects
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am

Good to hear you like it! I can imagine that the magic-stuff indeed requires some adjustment, but the story and the characters make it worth it. You are coming up on the part with the Mud People, which is a nice part :-). I am now straight into the next one :wink:. But again, it has been a while since any book, let alone a series, did that to me. I just can't stop reading :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 am

I will agree with you there is nothing better than when a book grabs you right away like that.I have had the experience quite a few times - I am adjusting as you say but starting to accept the sorcery overtone to it - fantasy is a lot different than say for example a horror novel which I only read about once a year just for the sake of something different to change things up a little.I will read on and get back to you when I am finished.

[b7] Those in Peril just became available in Canada - I am afraid to read it the reviews have been so bad in this forum there is a score list from one to ten and the forum by popular vote is only giving Those in Peril a 6 out of a ten - by far the lowest score of any of WS 35 novels
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 am

I'm halfway through the second novel and it's still good :). Those in Peril is probably going to disappoint, but I am still going to read it as soon as it becomes available in paperback, i.e., in about a year. Have you purchased it yet?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 am

I am very close to finishing Wizards First Rule - I will read the second book in the series but will wait a bit I still have a problem with fantasy when I read I have not completely bonded to the series because of it.

As far as Those in Peril it has just been released in Canada my daughter phoned me from the book store and asked me if I she should pick it up for me it was $37.00 canadian - I said no - It is available as an ebook on amazon for $13.74 as a download.No E-hoog I have not read it yet I will within the next few months.The reviews are very bad - What I hear about the book that it tends to be a little erotica and debauchery - I will make my own judgements after I read it but the reviews are holding me back.

One comment about Wizards First Rule - a touch heavy on the romantic overtones in the book between Richard and Kahlan reminded me a little of Jamie and Claire in the Outlander series - There are two things I do not enjoy when I read - to much sex/erotica and to much romance - I am aware a lot of people like these genres in a book - but I do not.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Wed May 11, 2011 2:17 am

Hi John,

I understand what you mean with the romance. I was not overly annoyed with it though. I liked it, because it was so different from the romance you get with other writers. But if romance is not your thing, then I see what you mean.

I'm curious to know what you think of Those in Peril (when you've read it of course), seeing that you also liked Assegai, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't like Assegai much, so I hope you'll at least like Those in Peril, otherwise I'm in for some bad reading...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu May 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi E-Hoog

Thursday May 12th - 12 noon in Comox - I have just downloaded Those in Peril and will start reading it today.The ebook cost $13.74 on Amazon and the reviews are very low.I should be finished in a few days and will report back to you my thoughts - I am a little concerned due to reading reviews this site included giving it a 6 out of ten - the lowest rating of any of his 35 novels.As well just finished a re read of Eagles in the Sky to prep myself for Those in Peril.

Did you ever start the first book in the Barocue Cycle series - Quicksilver is the first which you have - I intend to read it big book big commitment but if you have managed to read it tell me what you think of it.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Fri May 13, 2011 2:35 am

Hi John,

At the moment I'm totally engrossed in Terry Goodkind, but maybe I should switch to something else after the second novel. I still have the Neal Stephenson books on the shelves, unread. I intent to do this quickly and will share my thoughts afterwards.

Happy reading with Those in Peril!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I'd say keep reading the series if you are enjoying it that much. You still have 11 more to go and there is nothing better than a book that you become one with.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Sun May 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Those in peril - 10 out of 10

E-Hoog I have posted review under Those in Peril - Spoiler Alert ( that is the posts heading I have no spoilers in my post )

You will love it E - Hoog it is a good book
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 am

Hi John,

About Those in Peril: I guess I'll have to check it out in April 2012 :wink:. I'm still going strong on the Goodkind novels; about three-quarter through the second and this weekend I'll have a long train ride :wink:
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Fri May 27, 2011 6:19 am

I'm now a hundred pages into Blood of the Fold. I can't stop...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri May 27, 2011 11:07 am

E-Hoog wrote:I'm now a hundred pages into Blood of the Fold. I can't stop...

You are addictied - take a break and play some Angry Birds
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Next

Return to Other Authors