Don Winslow

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Don Winslow

Postby tedd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 am

Have just finished a very readable book by this author called "The Winter of Frankie Machine" It is different - very enjoyable and has a finale which would appeal to all.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Don Winslow

Postby chookie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:54 pm

So!!! can you give us a general outline on what the author writes ie: space,crime,history and so on please.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby tedd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Frankie is not as pure as the driven snow but has been a bad boy who mixes with the bad boys but in the end tries to do the right thing - there is a deal of intrigue so you often don't know whether the police are corrupt, half-corrupt or without blemish - I suppose it is a crime book with some whimsicality and definitely some deviousness
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby vincent » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 am

Have any of you read "Shibumi" by Trevanian?
It is without a doubt the one book that has had the most effect on my life.
Why do I bring this up here?
Well, Don Winslow was commisioned to write a prequel to Shibumi, as Trevanian passed away some years ago. It is titled Satori.
I have just finished it. Not as good as the original author but a really good effort. It also lays itself open to another prequel to bridge the gap between Satori and Shibumi.
For those of you who are not familiar with Trevanian, he shot to fame with the well known "The Eiger Sanction"
I am trying to complete my Trevanian collection but it seems some of them have never been in print.
vincent

Location: Howick, Natal Midlands,South Africa. Close to Ladyburg!!!!
Currently Reading: The white whirlwind

Return to Other Authors