Jeffrey Whittam - Sons Of Africa

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Jeffrey Whittam - Sons Of Africa

Postby johnrogers » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Hey Jeff

Just noticed another book available on amazon with the exact same title as yours - Sons Of Africa by Shirley Carnegie.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby jeffw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 am

Hi John - I try to ignore it. :lol:
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 pm

jeffw wrote:Hi John - I try to ignore it. :lol:

Well Jeff one thing I find truly mind boggling is the number of books available in the market place - thousands and thousands of titles available to the reader.I never realized this fact til I got involved with Amazons website.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:29 pm

You got that in one - Besides the good stuff, Amazon has become a dumping ground for a zillion wannabe writers. However, the dross will eventually fall away and the cream will rise to the top. Writing, whatever some may think is not a profession easily adapted to - that's why WS has run unchallenged for so long - what he has forgotten, others have still to learn. Though some of us will keep on trying.
Keep on reading the good stuff, as usual, best regards and stay in touch.
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:14 pm

You are so correct Jeff the amount of authors out there now with the ability of the Internet to publish and sell there works is astronomical compared to what Wilbur had to deal with in his day.There is no doubt the competition factor must be at least 100 times greater today than it was but just a few years ago.I have read quite a few new author novels and I will say some of them are on par with some of the best writers we have today.By the same token some of them are terrible and I mean terrible.

What is interesting is the next generation of book writer superstars will rise from the phoenix to superstardom and fame thanks to the oppurtunity presented by e publishing that has only exsisted for the last few years.I am certain the next Wilbur Smith or Conn Iggulden will come from obscurity thanks to the oppurtunity presented by e publishing.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:53 am

Words of truth, John - time will tell! =D>
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

I found the greatest example of fame and fortune of success on e publishing.The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.I have read the triology of The Hunger Games and enjoyed the series a lot.I see there is now a Hollywood movie just about to come out and be released.With the success of her books I am positive Suzanne will have a fourth book coming out.When I bought the novels they were very discounted and now I see they are back up to regular market price,as well I see they are number 1 on amazons charts.They also say that The Hunger Games may reach success equal to The Harry Potter novels.

So Viva la Internet - a great oppurtunity for many budding authors.I wonder what the world will be like in the next 50 years due to electronics - Maybe we will be able to teleport ourselves just like in the Star Trek series.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:12 am

Watch your front porch - I might teleport in for a couple of beers with you! \:D/
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Would be happy to beam you up any old time Scotty

Captain Kirk
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 am

Hello Jeff

Just wondering how you are doing and how is progress with your new novel.Noticed you are not active on your blog and would like to hear from you.I actually received an email from a fellow forum member yesterday who is quite concerned that you are well.So if you could respond it would ease our minds that you are ok.Many of us in the forum are anticipating your new new book and chomping at the bit to continue the saga.

#1 :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Yes - me too!! Am interested to find how things are going but I decided earlier not to upset Jeff's train of thought and maybe even his deadline, so kept clear of contacting him. However I have been accessing the forum daily for any news - hope success follows his hard work.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby tedd » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 am

Well I don't like to break into what is possibly a critical time in the completion of Jeff's new book but can't hold back any longer. I look upon Jeff as the Forum's very own author (except maybe for the master WS) so would like to hear how everything is going with progress on the book - or possibly he's so involved with the Games just now that the book is suffering a delay. Anyway, all the best Jeff, hope writer's cramp hasn't got hold of you. tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby tedd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Well we haven't had any news from Jeff!!

I have a theory or two about this dilemma.
1. He's in a frenzy to finish and has cut himself off from the world until it's done
OR
2.He's finished and is now on holiday - probably lurking in the deep heart of an African park on the safari of a lifetime and incidentally planning his next book. Good luck to him if he is!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Me again!!! How nice to be worried about! Have missed your banter, but as you guessed, have been flat out with the sequel - Empress Gold. Just passed the 70,000 word marker so it WILL be finished and out there before Xmas. Victoria, my wife and boss threatened me with one of my golf clubs (unused for months) if I stayed off the forum any longer; said I should grovel for your forgiveness so, here goes; grovel grovel! Hope that did the trick.
Will do my utmost to stay in touch and many thanks for your caring. Take care.
ps good to be back in Wilburland!
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 am

Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you. Good luck with the writing!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby tedd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:00 am

Hi Jeff- my encore to E-Hoog's wishes - keep at it, nose down, tail in the air - all the best, good to hear from you - tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Hello Jeff

Welcome back to The Band of Brothers - Tedd,E-Hoog,myself and Nefer have been filling in our time watching the Olympics in London,in fact I watched it for 17 days in a row.What a fantastic event it was,you Brits did a smashing job and congrats for beating out Russia.Wonderful experience for me for certain.

Planing on doing a reread of Sons Of Africa before you publish your new book just to refresh my memory before I read your new one.

Great to hear from you Jeff keep us updated as you progress to the finish.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 am

High all, snatched a minute to let you know I'm still out there. Empress Gold going really well; the end is within reach but won't rush; want a proper job. I see WS is following on with the Those in Peril saga. The man just won't lie down and take it easy!! Good luck (not that he needs it) to the guy. Loved his 'Early Years Collection'.
Going for some kip, now. Eye balls feel like they've been dipped in Tobasco!
Take care and stay in touch - good friends, all of you. :D
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi Everyone - those of you out there with a Kobo reader can now download Sons of Africa; came on today and I know some of the forum readers have been discussing which ereader to go with; so now you have a choice; Kindle or Kobo. Any feedback re Kobo versus Kindle would be appreciated.
take care and keep on reading! :D Here's the link: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Sons-of-Africa/book-94Q9IBE690KmM0_D9Uh66A/page1.html?s=STdNuwOwsUuEzAEVuETwzA&r=1
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 am

Wow, I go on a holiday for 10 days and come back to this forum with only Jeff's post as a new one. Shame on you guys ;-). Anyway, Jeff, what is the format of the ebook for the Kobo? I have an iriver story HD and can only manage epubs. It was a royal pain in the ass to get Sons of Africa on it. I bought it from amazon and had to to some major trickery (some steps were of questionable legality) to get it to the epub format. Hopefully Empress Gold will be epub straight away :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors