Trackers - Deon Meyer

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Trackers - Deon Meyer

Postby dtietens » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi all,
After finishing reading "Sons of Africa" from Jeffrey Wittham I was a bit lost for another good book. I placed a pre-order on kindle for the latest book from Deon Meyer 2 weeks ago. And now it showed up onto my device only 1 hour after the official release date and hour! Deon Meyer is a South African writer and I like his way of writing. It is his 7th book translated from Afrikaans into English. All his adventures are set in the post-apartheid-South-Africa. And now I will indulge myself in another good book !
http://www.deonmeyer.com/
Best, Dirk
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Re: Trackers - Deon Meyer

Postby johnrogers » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 pm

Great Idea - same here finished Jeffs book a week,then read a kindle 99 cent mystery crime thriller but in the need of a really decent book - think I will join you and read something from Deon Meyer as you,however will do a little research and read his first book since I have never heard of him or read his novels before - sounds good dtietens thanks for the tip

[b7] - damn was Jeffs book Sons Of Africa good or what eh :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby dtietens » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:27 pm

It is already a few weeks ago that I finished reading "Trackers". It was me worth 2 very short nights and work had to suffer. There are actually three stories in this book, interconnecting with eachother. Deon Meyer took some of my best liked characters from his previous books and gave them a prominent role in this one. Not to spoil anything. But the Presidential Intelligence Agency, the president of Zimbabwe and his allies, blood diamands, Zimbabwes wildlife, militant muslim groups all play a role in this crime thriller novel.
I hope to read much more of this author. And I am already looking forward for his next book. He promissed that my favoured characters will keep appearing in the next one ! It is also worthwhile to keep a map of South Africa and Zimbabwe closeby. Deon also answers all his eMails, albeit short, but giving me a feeling of "wow". I will attempt to read his next novel in Africaans as I will be working in Namibia for the next few years, closer to the SA bookstores. It will save me a few months of waiting until the english translation is coming out.
Dirk
Last edited by dtietens on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtietens

Postby johnrogers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

You sound like one very satisfied customer about author Deon Meyer - so I am correct this is a book series as in the ballantyne/courtenay style and should they be read in a correct sequence
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby dtietens » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, I am quite fond of his books. I guess I could not hide it very well. I like fast paced books, that keep me bound and want them having finished in one go. You do not have to read them in consecutive order. Some characters are reappearing from his previous books to his next ones thou. His books are all crime-thriller novels. With the good and the bad ones, detectives with their own loads in life to carry, private security firms, gangs, smugglers, etc, etc, etc. The characters he portrays are very human. A love affair, some marital problems here and there and off course a dead body make the stories complete.

His stories start in the year 1994, immediate after Mandela came in power and a black superintendent becomes boss of a police station. A next book is somehow an evolution of a previous book. But you can also read them perfectly as stand alone books. Actually his stories are running within a short timeframe. His books are very well researched. Nice thing is that he places photos of the locations where his stories happen on his website. I only discovered his novels 3 years ago when I stumbled over his first one. As I am always happen to work in corners of the world where postal services are not the most reliable ones, I ordered on Amazon the whole set of his books. When back in Europe for holidays there is always a pile of books and films waiting for me.

So, who are my favorite characters? Flea van Jaarsveld (I adore her) and Lemmers (reminds me of somebody I know best). For you to find out why... :lol:
Last edited by dtietens on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtietens

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Dtietens

You know I re read your post the other day and it jumped right off the screen at me - your exuburance about Deon Meyer rang loud and true.That is the beauty of talking with someone in the forum - you get introduced to some really good books and authors.

Even though you say it is not necessary to read them in a proper sequence I would like to - what is the first book I should read in the series and is there a name for this series and if so how many are there in the series.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm

dtietens wrote:Yes, I am quite fond of his books. I guess I could not hide it very well. I like fast paced books, that keep me bound and want them having finished in one go. You do not have to read them in consecutive order. Some characters are reappearing from his previous books to his next ones thou. His books are all crime-thriller novels. With the good and the bad ones, detectives with their own loads in life to carry, private security firms, gangs, smugglers, etc, etc, etc. The characters he portrays are very human. A love affair, some marital problems here and there and off course a dead body make the stories complete.

His stories start in the year 1994, immediate after Mandela came in power and a black superintendent becomes boss of a police station. A next book is somehow an evolution of a previous book. But you can also read them perfectly as stand alone books. Actually his stories are running within a short timeframe. His books are very well researched. Nice thing is that he places photos of the locations where his stories happen on his website. I only discovered his novels 3 years ago when I stumbled over his first one. As I am always happen to work in corners of the world where postal services are not the most reliable ones, I ordered on Amazon the whole set of his books. When back in Europe for holidays there is always a pile of books and films waiting for me.

So, who are my favorite characters? Flea van Jaarsveld (I adore her) en Lemmers (reminds me of somebody I know best). For you to find out why... :lol:

Well you certainly have tweaked my curiousity re Flea van Jaarsveld and en Lemmers - I am ready to find out why - in fact I won,t be able to sleep tonight :lol:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby dtietens » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi John,
I was reading them in order of publication.
. Dead Before Dying, 1999
. Dead At Daybreak, 2000
. Heart of the Hunter, 2003
. Devil's Peak, 2007
. Blood Safari, 2009
. 13 Hours, 2010
. Trackers, 2011
I hope the info helps.
Dirk
dtietens

Postby johnrogers » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 pm

dtietens wrote:Hi John,
I was reading them in order of publication.
. Dead Before Dying, 1999
. Dead At Daybreak, 2000
. Heart of the Hunter, 2003
. Devil's Peak, 2007
. Blood Safari, 2009
. 13 Hours, 2010
. Trackers, 2011
I hope the info helps.
Dirk

Thanks for sorting that out for me - if your going to read them I think you are much better off in the long run to read them from the start to the present and I have noticed that a large percentage of writers and book authors are writing there works as a series - a lot of standalone books out there but an equal amount of series productions out there as well.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby dtietens » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:22 am

Hi all,
One of my favourite writers, Deon Meyer, has a new book out called "Ikarus". Can't wait until it shows up on my Kindle (Afrikaans edition).... supposedly on 20 March 2015. I need to have a stock of food and drink in house, just in case I can't stop reading.
dtietens

Postby johnrogers » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:07 pm

dtietens wrote:Hi all,
One of my favourite writers, Deon Meyer, has a new book out called "Ikarus". Can't wait until it shows up on my Kindle (Afrikaans edition).... supposedly on 20 March 2015. I need to have a stock of food and drink in house, just in case I can't stop reading.

Canadian release date Mar 20th/2015 - electronic book price via amazon $14.26 - potato chips 69 cents :)
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to Other Authors